Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

.... that has a total ban on carrying concealed.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-big-targets/

Chicago was the second to last. I am sure the fact these two cities are consistently ranked as two of the most dangerous cities in America is purely coincidental to their strict stance on carrying a weapon.

Blog Entries

Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

"More guns less crime"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    .... that has a total ban on carrying concealed.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-big-targets/

Chicago was the second to last. I am sure the fact these two cities are consistently ranked as two of the most dangerous cities in America is purely coincidental to their strict stance on carrying a weapon.
    I dont understand why carrying concealed would be illegal, I prefer it to open carrying. Draws less attention and if its your choice to protect yourself, it shouldnt make others uneasy. Concealing shouldn't be an issue and this doesnt make any sense to me.

Chicago, NY, LA, DC,... theyre the biggest cities in the country and thats always a hot bed for violent crimes so theyre going to rank high regardless of the states laws. In DC's case its a city but compared to state wide and will always be considerably higher. Crime might be down in general in relaxed gun law states, but I dont think the numbers support that Firearm assaults/deaths arent up in those areas. I found the links below when looking for your stated rankings, unfortunately I think it tells a different story.

map-us-firearms-assaults.jpg

firearm-death-rate-100000

Maybe im missing something though?
    -JAB

Since neither of those links gives any sort of accurate and / or scientific source, I question their validity. I am arguing (and others have proven) that more guns means less violent crime per capita. I am NOT arguing the rate of firearms related deaths. The links are skewed as both take into account suicides and defensive uses of a weapon where someone was killed (i.e. cop shootings, people protecting their homes, etc.).

Economists such as Dr. John Lott, Dr. Bruce Benson, et all have published numerous studies detailing this phenomenon. Milton Friedman, hardly a right-wingers buddy, gave a resounding endorsement to the idea of "more guns, less crime". But if you happen to feel they're too biased one way or another, do you're own research.

Just look at the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports (or UCR's) and do a state by state comparison. You'll quickly discover what he and other Economists have proven.

Blog Entries

Since neither of those links gives any sort of accurate and / or scientific source, I question their validity. I am arguing (and others have proven) that more guns means less violent crime per capita. I am NOT arguing the rate of firearms related deaths. The links are skewed as both take into account suicides and defensive uses of a weapon where someone was killed (i.e. cop shootings, people protecting their homes, etc.).

Economists such as Dr. John Lott, Dr. Bruce Benson, et all have published numerous studies detailing this phenomenon. Milton Friedman, hardly a right-wingers buddy, gave a resounding endorsement to the idea of "more guns, less crime". But if you happen to feel they're too biased one way or another, do you're own research.

Just look at the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports (or UCR's) and do a state by state comparison. You'll quickly discover what he and other Economists have proven.
    Those stats are basically what those maps were based off of, Although from 2006 and i believe 2010. I looked the site up directly and compared relaxed states like Texas and Arizona to strict ones like and NY IL and MA and its pretty much identical. Im not sure I see those findings based on what these are saying. Basically its supporting that violent crimes are going to happen in populated areas regardless of gun laws.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...tables/table-5
    -JAB

You're looking at numbers.

Again, its the "rates" of violent crime. This is calculated "per capita". Meaning, at what rate does violent crime occur per 100,000 people.

Per capita is a statistical tool Economists use to take into account population variances between two or more areas, in this case, states.

Blog Entries

You're looking at numbers.

Again, its the "rates" of violent crime. This is calculated "per capita". Meaning, at what rate does violent crime occur per 100,000 people.

Per capita is a statistical tool Economists use to take into account population variances between two or more areas, in this case, states.
    No, thats what im going off of.

Arizona = 405
    Cali = 411
    DC = 1211
    IL= 429
    Mass = 428
    NM = 567
    NY = 398
    Texas = 408
    -JAB

Well if I was a lawmaker I wouldn't allow concealed carry in DC either. Considering the piss poor job they've all been doing, and all the toes they step on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Guns will never be banned in the US.

There is an issue in the US with violence but its not guns. Israel and Switzerland have pretty lax gun laws too and don't have nearly the rates of violence like we have here.

Until the debate is honest about those factors, things are not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Look at Japan and their strict gun laws. I'm not advocating the US adopt this policy, the US and Japan are 2 totally different societies... however one can't argue with their results.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...deaths/260189/

I don't see the US ever getting laws that rival that.
    Japan's low crime rate is a result of people control, not gun control.

I'm obviously not accusing you of this, but it is the classic anti-gun tactic to point to Japan. The main issue is Japan has zero standards as to who can obtain a gun other than: "any person (taking into consideration also relatives living with him) who there is reasonable cause to suspect may be dangerous to other persons' lives or properties or to the public peace." So essentially who ever the police "feel" like.

http://www.davekopel.com/2A/Foreign/...le-Control.htm
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Just saw a headline over at CBS that gave me a chuckle:

"Semi-assault Rifle Used During Sandy Hook Massacre."

If we're going make terms this arbitrary why differentiate with words at all?
    Last edited by Sirdowski; 12-16-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

I do hope that more restrictions on guns or ammunition isnt the outcome of CT. Id prefer armed security at every school before that.
    -JAB