Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
  1. #31

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs



    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    You need to win your division. Making HALF the NFL teams make the playoffs is stupid, make the regular season more boring than already is.
    By that line of reasoning, why have wild cards?

    If the regular season is boring you, I'd suggest you stop watching it...




  2. #32

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    If it ain't broke...




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,930
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I still think it beats the current system.

    Winning the division should only guarantee a playoff spot, not a home playoff game IMO.

    Either way, you gotta have division winners in the playoffs no matter what their record is.

    PP
    I agree with this.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    8,273

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I still think it beats the current system.

    Winning the division should only guarantee a playoff spot, not a home playoff game IMO.

    Either way, you gotta have division winners in the playoffs no matter what their record is.

    PP
    The whole point having divisions is to create rivals and the reward of a home playoff game. Take away the reward for winning the division, then the NFL should do away with divisions and the top 6 teams in each conference go to the playoffs.

    Personally I would like to see them eliminate inter conference play and add more games in the division.




  5. #35

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Against expanding playoffs anymore. What we have today is just marginal.

    I would rather see the 17 game schedule with neutral sites for one game, and two bye weeks.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  6. #36

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    By that line of reasoning, why have wild cards?

    If the regular season is boring you, I'd suggest you stop watching it...
    You need to be rewarded for winning your division, that being a HOME game. Having 2 WC's balances the playoffs to 6 teams. WC weekend where WC travels to seed 3 and 4. A pretty big disavantage. A WC team has to win 3 consecutive road playoff games, a tough act to do, but it has been done. Teams should be rewarded or having thier seeding determined by having best record AND winning your division. Lets not make this the NBA, which barely gets watched til the playoffs.




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    I'm telling you, this will be the trade off for dropping two preseason games and not going to an 18 game season.




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Against expanding playoffs anymore. What we have today is just marginal.

    I would rather see the 17 game schedule with neutral sites for one game, and two bye weeks.
    How about 18 games? The expanded playoffs would be part of a revamped schedule which would likely add regular season games and remove preseason. Also likely to add a bye. This proposal doesn't stand on its own
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  9. #39

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    If more playoff games are what the owners want - why not a double elimination tournement with all teams seeded - best to worst - highest seeded team plays the game at home until you get down to the Final game and call that the Goodell Bowl!




  10. #40

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    How about 18 games? The expanded playoffs would be part of a revamped schedule which would likely add regular season games and remove preseason. Also likely to add a bye. This proposal doesn't stand on its own
    Players were too bitchy about 18/2. If NFL went 17/2 with two byes, there would be one less dressed game, a minor hit in attendance, but two more weeks of TV regular season programming.

    Keep the playoffs as is. Watered down playoffs is a major reason I don't watch winter sports.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm not saying I agree with it, just that some type of expansion is likely. And we can't keep the same 11 starters on the field as it is now ......
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  12. #42

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    The whole point having divisions is to create rivals and the reward of a home playoff game. Take away the reward for winning the division, then the NFL should do away with divisions and the top 6 teams in each conference go to the playoffs.

    Personally I would like to see them eliminate inter conference play and add more games in the division.
    I don't see how an automatic playoff bid takes away from winning the division.

    Sure, being assured a home game is a bigger reward but getting in is far more important.

    You wanna see more than 2 games between division teams?

    Or did you mean more games within the conference?

    I definitely don't like the idea of more division games.

    PP




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    8,273

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I don't see how an automatic playoff bid takes away from winning the division.

    Sure, being assured a home game is a bigger reward but getting in is far more important.

    You wanna see more than 2 games between division teams?

    Or did you mean more games within the conference?

    I definitely don't like the idea of more division games.

    PP
    Yeah I meant more games in the conference. But wouldn't be opposed to more games in the division.




  14. #44

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    The schedule is perfect, play division rivals home and away. One diviion in AFC, One Division in NFC an the other 2 games vs you division seeding. Cant be anymore fair than that. Having to play Cincy, Cleve or Pitt more than twice would make the season MORE boring.




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    I don't want to see the playoff field expanded. If they go for a rerack based on the record, they should switch to two divisions. That will basically accomplish the same thing, without turning it into the farce that is the NBA.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland