Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Good stuff from Greg Cosell on Cam after his dismissal

He was on WNST this afternoon...I would highly recommend everyone check it out.

Link
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: Good stuff from Greg Cosell on Cam after his dismissal

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He was on WNST this afternoon...I would highly recommend everyone check it out.

Link
    I am Deaf, but can you give me a short synopsis?

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Nothing you've never heard before from plenty of posters on this board who are watching the games and actually comprehending what's happening. Here's a point by point summary:

Flacco is a good QB but the scheme makes him inconsistent. The receivers can't beat man coverage, which they see a lot of. The passing game is mostly intermediate and deep without short, easy throws. Flacco does not have one of the best internal clocks of any QB in the league and the combination of deep routes with his internal clock cause him to hold the ball.

The receivers only run isolation routes. The scheme makes no effort to help them beat man coverage with stack concepts, etc. The receivers lose the one on one battle more often than not. All the concepts and schemes to help the receivers beat man coverage are in the playbook, but they aren't being called.

The response to the OL's inability to pass block has mostly been to keep more eligible receivers in to block and reduce the number of receivers out in routes. This makes it much easier for the defense to defend only a few eligible receivers with lots of defenders.

There is not just one thing wrong with this offense, but if a few things were adjusted and corrected the offense would look much better.

"I have watched every throw Joe Flacco has made in the NFL, and 7 or 8 games of his last year in college. He is an extremely talented passer. His internal clock needs to get better, and his blitz recognition needs to get better. You wouldn't put him in that "elite" (whatever that means) category, but he has the strongest arm in the league and can make every throw. He is a good quarterback who needs to continue to get better."

He doesn't know what Caldwell's play-calling will be like because Caldwell's never called plays.

The Ravens have 2 good running backs, one great running back and one complementary back, and it might make sense for the Ravens to work off the run game to set up matchups in the pass game. That plays into this as well.

It is totally possible for the Ravens to both use the no huddle effectively and to control the clock with the run game (for example, the Patriots have the 3rd most rush attempts in the NFL.)

EDITED to only add the points that bmorecarelful may have missed in his excellent write-up:

Quick notes:
    > Hard not to say Flacco is a "good" QB, only "what level of good"?
    > Offense needs to be tailored to the type of QB and receivers on the Ravens.
    > Flacco has a strong arm, but does not have a good "internal clock".
    > Deeper throws to receivers who are not winning in man coverage = a not-very-mobile QB standing in the pocket waiting for receivers to get open. This leads to the inconsistent results.
    > Can always help receivers vs. man coverage, and what he never saw, were those kinds of things (bunch formations, stack releases, shifts, motion, etc.)
    > Instead saw isolation routes (which required receivers to win their matchups, which they frequently didn't).
    > Suspects that the bunch formations, stack, releases, etc. are in the playbook (all teams have them). So it comes down to how and when to use them, which should be based on game-planning versus an opponent's tendencies and making in-game adjustments.
    > Was "struck" that the no-huddle has "waned" since the success at the beginning of the season. Not sure why.

Blog Entries

I think he was fair. And he think he summed up why Cam was fired without saying why he was fired. There are things that can be done to make our personnel more effective, Cam just wouldn't do it for whatever reason.

bmorecareful and JBK, thank you for taking the time to summarize that.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    In a nut shell:

There has been a disconnect between Cameron and his system and the actual players strengths that play in that system. The intermediate to deep passing game that our offense has almost exclusively featured makes it hard on our, for the most part, low skilled receivers to get open. This leads to a ton of man coverage and tough throws with very low margins of error. Bunch concepts, stack releases, motion, things that help receivers with man coverage, our offense doesn't utilize. Offensive line struggles can also be helped with different route schemes.

I've probably watched every throw Joe Flacco has thrown in his career and his last 7-8 games of his college career, Joe Flacco is an extremely talented passer. He needs to improve in blitz recognition and making quick reads, his internal clock needs to get better. He's got the strongest arm in the league he can throw as well as anyone. He needs to get better and can get better with help. Improving the run game will help with the better match ups for receivers by dictating coverages. It doesn't take much for a a QB like Joe Flacco to take that next step as a QB.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I think he was fair. And he think he summed up why Cam was fired without saying why he was fired. There are things that can be done to make our personnel more effective, Cam just wouldn't do it for whatever reason.
    Cam let his ego get in the way, he's a smart coach but a control freak.

"I have watched every throw Joe Flacco has made in the NFL, and 7 or 8 games of his last year in college. He is an extremely talented passer. His internal clock needs to get better, and his blitz recognition needs to get better. You wouldn't put him in that "elite" (whatever that means) category, but he has the strongest arm in the league and can make every throw. He is a good quarterback who needs to continue to get better."

This sums it up for me.

PP

Great stuff. Completely agree regarding Joe's internal clock but I think it's deficient to begin with because he was playing in a system that didn't require a quick internal clock. Hopefully we eliminate these isolation routes and get creative with our passing attacks. Speed up the tempo and and you'll speed up Joe's internal clock.

Thanks for the summary. Gives some hope that the transition to Caldwell with the same playbook could work out extremely well for the offense and the team.

The stuff about Receivers vs man coverage and not beating the matchup sounds like when the team explains away the problems with saying players need to execute better. Players often do need to execute better but the coaches should also design/choose plays to help makes things easier for the players and to mask deficiencies as best as possible.

Cosell is just a fantastic analyst. He knows football, period, and he has no qualms about letting people know that what they think is happening is not actually happening cuz film don't lie.

I've read everything he's written about the Ravens and it's all spot on. He's been tremendously critical of Cam throughout his entire tenure and has always said this offense is schemed terribly. I think he got as close to saying "Cam Cameron is a bad offensive coordinator" as he could without actually saying that.

I do find it interesting that he's VERY critical of our wide receivers in addition to the scheme. He said back in 2010 that we had the slowest WR corps in the league and not a single player could beat man coverage. He's still saying that now despite adding a lot of talent and speed with Torrey and Jacoby.

I still think the way the WRs have been coached--rounding off routes, etc.--is a huge factor in that. It's not as if we don't have talent at WR.