Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Life as an Offensive Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    No, it's both. I don't care how good a motivator your are, if your scheme stinks, or if you can't make adjustments, you won't succeed. Cam wasn't a motivator or a good X's and O's guy.

I'll agree that it's bad to hire an "offensive genius", because if he were really a genius, he wouldn't be available.
    I was talking strictly about head coaches -- don't hire a head coach based on Xs and Os.

Xs and Os are definitely important for the guy whose job it is to gameplan and call plays.

Speaking of former head coaches turned OCs, and scapegoating, I completely forgot that Chris Palmer was fired as OC in Tennessee a couple weeks ago, replaced by Dowell Loggains. (who? right?)

Palmer is kind of like Cam. Both were once considered the best in the league as an offensive coordinator, which earned them short stints as head coaches, which they both failed at. Recall that Palmer was looked at by the Ravens, and ended up being Cleveland's consolation prize after they failed to strong arm Billick into taking the head job there. Both returned to life as OC and both got fired when they couldn't produce the same sort of results they achieved as coordinators earlier in their careers.

I dont feel bad. Hes had steady employment with ~millionaire salaries for over a decade and a half now. Hes still going to get paid for the rest of the year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    I dont feel bad. Hes had steady employment with ~millionaire salaries for over a decade and a half now. Hes still going to get paid for the rest of the year.
    Damn right, he'll make more over his Raven tenure than over half of what most Raven's fans make in a lifetime.

Blog Entries

put me on the don't feel bad list as well, that cat made more money than I can dream of, unemployment for Cam is way different than unemployment for the regular comon folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    put me on the don't feel bad list as well, that cat made more money than I can dream of, unemployment for Cam is way different than unemployment for the regular comon folk.
    And he will still be getting paychecks right? The Ravens still have to honor the full value of his contract. So now he gets time off to look for a new job. I'm sure he will land on his feet.

Cool Re: Life as an Offensive Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    I would wager almost 80 percent of fans in the NFL want their offensive coordinator fired year in and year out. If you go to other message boards it is a common refrain. O-Coordinators are often used as scapegoats by fans. Hell, just look at entire 178 year history of the Ravens, have they had one Coordinator that people actually LIKED? Marchibroda maybe but even then people complained he was too pass happy. Even when Billick briefly took over the playcalling duties in 2006, people bitched and complained about the lack of Jamal Lewis in the playoff game.

I'm not saying it wasn't time for a change. It was. But Coordinators are just constant gripes for fans who love to complain. They are very easy targets.
    Marchibroda!!! Marchibroda!!! Are you kidding me! You think Cam was bad, Marchibroda makes Cam seem like an Offensive genius in comparison!

When Ray Rice said, Hey Diddle, Diddle, Ray Rice up the middle where did you think that came from? Back in the Bert Jones days it was from all of us old Colt fans saying Hey Diddle, Diddle, Lydell Mitchell up the middle because he was so predictable all of the time! Ted was as rigid as they came and worse, he never adapted at all to defensive changes during a game. Also, Ted coached scared all the time and played not to lose rather than win (does this sound familiar). When he won his power struggle with GM Joe Thomas and had control over draft selections one year he picked a TE with the Colt's No. 1 pick (can't remember the guy's name) who couldn't catch a cold but was a good blocker and then said this dude was the best TE in the draft. The Browns later on used their No. 1 on another Tight End by the name of Ozzie Newsome (Yeah, that's right, the Colts could have had Ozzie Newsome).

The sad thing was that he wasn't the OC, he was the coach which was far worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Hopefully Caldwell can be that successful, last five years here like Cam, and happily endure all the hate that we are about to heap on him.

Welcome to Baltimore Jim. Bring your hard hat and earplugs.
    LOL
    very eloquent, shas

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    You're right and boards light up with how much smarter 'we guys' are than the coordinators. That's why I was never too quick to bash Cam and I hope he has a smooth transition. But I also do believe it was time for a change
    Yeah, I haven't been too hard on Cam either. It's easy to criticise sitting in your easy chair. All you have to do is look at the data provided in the OP and you can see it is not an easy job. At first I didn't like that they fired Cam with 3 games remaining in the regular season, but it has become apparent to me that there were some real differences going on between Cam and the players and JH. So I wish him well and I hope that people can be a little patient with Caldwell.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    :word I don't see how you can feel bad for him. Yeah he got fired but he still gets paid for his entire contract. If I got fired tomorrow, I wouldn't get paid after tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Marchibroda!!! Marchibroda!!! Are you kidding me! You think Cam was bad, Marchibroda makes Cam seem like an Offensive genius in comparison!

When Ray Rice said, Hey Diddle, Diddle, Ray Rice up the middle where did you think that came from? Back in the Bert Jones days it was from all of us old Colt fans saying Hey Diddle, Diddle, Lydell Mitchell up the middle because he was so predictable all of the time! Ted was as rigid as they came and worse, he never adapted at all to defensive changes during a game. Also, Ted coached scared all the time and played not to lose rather than win (does this sound familiar). When he won his power struggle with GM Joe Thomas and had control over draft selections one year he picked a TE with the Colt's No. 1 pick (can't remember the guy's name) who couldn't catch a cold but was a good blocker and then said this dude was the best TE in the draft. The Browns later on used their No. 1 on another Tight End by the name of Ozzie Newsome (Yeah, that's right, the Colts could have had Ozzie Newsome).

The sad thing was that he wasn't the OC, he was the coach which was far worse!
    Old Ted still has the highest ranked Ravens offense. 3rd in yards, 6th in points in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    When he won his power struggle with GM Joe Thomas and had control over draft selections one year he picked a TE with the Colt's No. 1 pick (can't remember the guy's name) who couldn't catch a cold but was a good blocker and then said this dude was the best TE in the draft. The Browns later on used their No. 1 on another Tight End by the name of Ozzie Newsome (Yeah, that's right, the Colts could have had Ozzie Newsome).
    That doesn't seem accurate.

The Browns used the 23rd pick on Newsome.

The Colts had the 25th pick and drafted Reese McCall.

By the way, the real blunder was by San Francisco, who took Ken McAfee at TE with the 7th overall pick and who was out of the league 3 seasons later...

Newsome and Montana. They may have won another ring or 3.