Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 92
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,365
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.



    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    If those guys walk, we'll be in rebuild mode next year.
    I disagree.

    Leach - he's great, but he's expensive and the Ravens don't use him enough to really justify that paycheck. Plus, the Texans have fared well without him running the ball and they have James Casey filling in for him. Casey is a converted TE. Secondly, if it comes down to a 32/33 year old expensive fullback vs a 27/28 year old franchise QB, guess who wins?

    Boldin - like Leach, he's great, but the Ravens have drafted Tandon Doss, Tommy Streeter, Deonte Thompson, and they could potentially keep Jacoby. They could also draft another WR and there are some good WR prospects that could assume a function similar to Boldin. The point is, Boldin is also older, expensive, and at some point you have to try and justify paying a 33 year old WR nearly $7 mill. I'm hoping that he'll take a pay cut.

    Ed Reed - The guy can still play centerfield, but his nagging injuries make him a big liability against the run. Secondly, for as many picks as he can get, he blows a lot of assignments too. This could also come down to a cost issue. I'm sure the Ravens would love to keep him for another year, but how do you justify big money to a soone-to-be 35 year old with significant injuries?

    Ray Lewis - did you watch him play earlier this year? I love the guy as much as the next fan, but he provides very little on the field. Money spent on him could be spent on keeping Ellerbe, who is something like 12 years younger and was really impressive before getting hurt.

    Jacoby Jones - Explosive kick returner, no doubt, and he has a lot of speed...however he still has issues with dropped passes (the whole team does, so I won't or can't fault him too much on that) and he is going to be expensive ($4mill) next year. Furthermore, it appears that Doss has started eating into Jacoby's snaps...how do you justify a $4million cap hit for a return specialist who may be 4th on the totem pole of receivers?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,365
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Bisciotti is not going to let Flacco walk and get nothing in return. But he might franchise Flacco and then trade him if Flacco will not agree to what Bisciotti/Ozzie feel is a reasonable contract. That would be in line with their right player/right price philosophy. If the Ravens cut all of those guys so that they can pay Flacco, is Flacco good enough to compensate for those losses?
    I just can't see them trading him either. There is no guarantee with whoever you bring in after Flacco and while Flacco has been inconsistent, he has shown that he can be one of the best in the league and it is just getting him to the point where he plays at that level each week.

    Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    The ONLY reason I am comparing Flacco to those QBs is because he wants to be paid like them.
    Fair enough.

    It isn't just you though. I hear folks all the time trying to compare Flacco to Peyton, to Eli, to Roethlisberger, to Brees, to whoever...hell, I've been guilty of it.

    I just think that comparing Flacco to any of the top rated QB's of the past 5 years is a lose lose situation. If, and only if, Flacco hasn't had the weapons that those guys have had, a lot of those QB's don't play the Steelers twice a year (their D is always incredible), and more importantly, the offensive dynamic and philosophy of those teams are leaps and bounds more creative than what the Ravens have had.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,917

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    We are all fans and sometimes get emotional about the players we like. Bisciotti is a businessman, and at the end of the day is going to make a business decision about Flacco and Harbaugh. If at the end of the season, Bisciotti says, "Joe, I love you, but I think you are worth 6 years $72 million and that is my final offer", and Flacco responds, "Steve, I appreciate your generous offer, but I am not going to sign for that amount, I think I am worth $100+ million", then Flacco will be franchised and might be traded. If Flacco wants to be paid like the top QBs of the past decade, then he has to have production to match.




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,365
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    We are all fans and sometimes get emotional about the players we like. Bisciotti is a businessman, and at the end of the day is going to make a business decision about Flacco and Harbaugh. If at the end of the season, Bisciotti says, "Joe, I love you, but I think you are worth 6 years $72 million and that is my final offer", and Flacco responds, "Steve, I appreciate your generous offer, but I am not going to sign for that amount, I think I am worth $100+ million", then Flacco will be franchised and might be traded. If Flacco wants to be paid like the top QBs of the past decade, then he has to have production to match.
    So, what if he comes out these next 3 weeks and hangs 300+ yards each week, a handful of TD's and no turnovers?

    Does that change your opinion?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,917

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So, what if he comes out these next 3 weeks and hangs 300+ yards each week, a handful of TD's and no turnovers?

    Does that change your opinion?
    My opinion isn't important, but I am a Flacco fan. Does it change Bisciotti's opinion? I don't know. I don't know if 3-4 games is enough time to make such an evaluation, which is why I agree with a bunch of posters that Cam should have been fired 2 years ago. However, it is an easier determination to make if the offense doesn't appreciably improve. If the Ravens pay Flacco $100+ million, they almost have to have an offense that puts up 30+ points/game on a regualar basis, because there won't be enough money to go around to also have a Top 10 defense. The last two weeks have been classic examples of games where the Ravens offense had to just out-score the opposing team to make up for a depleated defense, and couldn't get the job done.




  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,487

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I have stated over and over again that I think Flacco is a very good QB. I don't need to look at film from when he was at Delaware, because he is in his 5th season in the NFL. That's not the question. The question is how much of the overall cap can the Ravens allocate to Flacco, and still have enough money to get the other pieces that they need for the team to be successful.
    Those all-blue with yellow trim uniforms are so ugly it's almost criminal.




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Right Where I need to be
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    My opinion isn't important, but I am a Flacco fan. Does it change Bisciotti's opinion? I don't know. I don't know if 3-4 games is enough time to make such an evaluation, which is why I agree with a bunch of posters that Cam should have fired 2 years ago. However, it is an easier determination to make if the offense doesn't appreciably improve. If the Ravens pay Flacco $100+ million, they almost have to have an offense that puts up 30+ points/game on a regualar basis. The last two weeks have been classic examples of games where the Ravens offense had to just out-score the opposing team to make up for a depleated defense, and couldn't get the job done.

    That has been the problem with this team. They have always lacked the killer instinct. Live by the sword, Die by the sword. Or in this case Joe Flacco.




  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,487

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    However, it is an easier determination to make if the offense doesn't appreciably improve.
    Not really. If it doesn't improve you can blame it on Cam's system still being in place. if it does improve, you attribute it to a temporary morale boost unless the game plan is visibly, obviously different. I for one DO hope they blast the shit out of the next few defenses.




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,917

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Not really. If it doesn't improve you can blame it on Cam's system still being in place. if it does improve, you attribute it to a temporary morale boost unless the game plan is visibly, obviously different. I for one DO hope they blast the shit out of the next few defenses.
    Me too. I will be wearing my Ravens sweatshirt and cheering for them as hard I can on Sunday.




  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,170

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I disagree.

    Leach - he's great, but he's expensive and the Ravens don't use him enough to really justify that paycheck. Plus, the Texans have fared well without him running the ball and they have James Casey filling in for him. Casey is a converted TE. Secondly, if it comes down to a 32/33 year old expensive fullback vs a 27/28 year old franchise QB, guess who wins?

    Boldin - like Leach, he's great, but the Ravens have drafted Tandon Doss, Tommy Streeter, Deonte Thompson, and they could potentially keep Jacoby. They could also draft another WR and there are some good WR prospects that could assume a function similar to Boldin. The point is, Boldin is also older, expensive, and at some point you have to try and justify paying a 33 year old WR nearly $7 mill. I'm hoping that he'll take a pay cut.

    Ed Reed - The guy can still play centerfield, but his nagging injuries make him a big liability against the run. Secondly, for as many picks as he can get, he blows a lot of assignments too. This could also come down to a cost issue. I'm sure the Ravens would love to keep him for another year, but how do you justify big money to a soone-to-be 35 year old with significant injuries?

    Ray Lewis - did you watch him play earlier this year? I love the guy as much as the next fan, but he provides very little on the field. Money spent on him could be spent on keeping Ellerbe, who is something like 12 years younger and was really impressive before getting hurt.

    Jacoby Jones - Explosive kick returner, no doubt, and he has a lot of speed...however he still has issues with dropped passes (the whole team does, so I won't or can't fault him too much on that) and he is going to be expensive ($4mill) next year. Furthermore, it appears that Doss has started eating into Jacoby's snaps...how do you justify a $4million cap hit for a return specialist who may be 4th on the totem pole of receivers?
    So you want to take away 2 of the 3 main recievers (minus Pitta) that Flacco has chemistry with? Yeah, that should help Flacco out a lot. Besides, Jones hasn't had nearly as many drops as Boldin and Smith have!! If Reed and Leach would take a pay cut (which I highly doubt) then I'd welcome them back with open arms. Lewis will leave when he sees fit. I agree with you, I hope Boldin takes a pay cut because I'd like him to finish his career as a Raven.




  11. #71

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Please don't misunderstand me. I have always maintained that Flacco is a good enough QB to win a Super Bowl, provided the rest of the team is also strong. He isn't Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, or Roethisberger though. All of thos QBs have carried their teams to victory despite having major deficiencies in their supporting cast. Look at what Brady and Rodgers have been able to do with no name RB, and WRs (Brady), and terrible defenses. Flacco cannot carry a team the way those players have. The Ravens offense still went through Ray Rice last year. Rice is the top offensive weapon on the Ravens, Flacco is #2. You don't pay the second best offensive weapon on your team $100+ million.
    I would suggest that definitely Brees and Rodgers have great supporting casts.

    And we need to remember something about Aaron Rodgers people forget. He was not a first year starter. He rode the bench behind Brett Favre for 3 seasons before becoming the starter. So he had a LOT of non-game practice time to do what he did. And it didn't hurt that Ryan Grant had back to back 1200 yard seasons and he had Donald Driver and Greg Jennings to throw to. I take nothing away from what Aaron Rodgers has done in his career, but it's also not the same situation Joe Flacco had.

    Now look at Drew Brees. This is where all the correlations to Cam Cameron come in. His first couple years starting in San Diego were far FAR worse than Flacco's first few years. He had then a great year in 2004, but them regressed and hurt his shoulder. His passing yards never got to 4,000 and QB rating never really stabilized until he got to NO.

    In fact, if you want to make the case that Flacco still has plenty of time to become an elite QB, it took Drew Brees 5 years and a new CITY to reach his potential. Brees was not close to elite for a while.




  12. #72

    Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

    Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    So you want to take away 2 of the 3 main recievers (minus Pitta) that Flacco has chemistry with? Yeah, that should help Flacco out a lot. Besides, Jones hasn't had nearly as many drops as Boldin and Smith have!! If Reed and Leach would take a pay cut (which I highly doubt) then I'd welcome them back with open arms. Lewis will leave when he sees fit. I agree with you, I hope Boldin takes a pay cut because I'd like him to finish his career as a Raven.
    My guess is they keep at least one of Boldin or Jones. If they cut both then the coaches will really like the young guys a lot and they draft a WR in 1st or 2nd round. I think the team will be in bigger rebuild mold if they trade Flacco than if they cut the 4 guys mentioned above. With no viable QB, we could be wasting Rice's prime years and history of RBs is they do not have many years in their tank.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland