Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

It's a darn shame that it's taken five years for them to even begin to figure that out. When you look at all of the top quarterbacks in the league, they are surrounded by personnel dedicated to making them the best quarterbacks in the league. The vast majority of them have teams built around them and their talents. From system, to philosophy, to talent.

Teams have decided to push to make their QBs great and live and die with their leadership.

Here? No sir. Usually, when a QB is drafted in the first round, there is an asserted effort to build the team around that QB, who likely becomes the face of the franchise.

We already had one of those here and his name is Ray Lewis. So, when Joe showed up, he was asked to not screw things up for the defense, while they relied on the running game again and again.

Fives years of this. Well, guess what, Ray can't do it like he used to and this defense isn't doing it like they used to and the Ravens got caught with their pants down.

They might as well accept the fact that Joe Flacco will be the new face of the franchise and make a LEGITIMATE EFFORT, to build the team around him.

It gets on my nerves when I hear this talk about how, "Joe will never be elite" and "It's been five years, he'll never change".

Nobody can honestly sit here with a straight face and say that the Ravens have made a serious effort to build the team around Joe Flacco. His head coach hasn't, his coordinator hasn't, it took them FOUR YEARS to draft a WR of Torrey Smith's caliber. Joe was basically stuck with Mason and not much else, passing wise, for three years. His offensive lines have gone down the drain. They take the ball out of his hands at darn near every little mistake. Yet, suddenly ask him to pull it out at the last minute.

I will say it. Joe Flacco's inconsistency starts with the inconsistent support his development has received from the front office.

It is completely unfair to judge this man, compared to QBs who have enjoyed far stronger support and commitment from their front offices, before he gets the same luxury.

This should have been done two years ago, but everybody swore that defense and running the ball would do the trick. Only for the playoffs to show up, Joe to have to make the throws, only to make them and have em' dropped, as if he's bringing a knife to a gun fight, which he is.

For four years, we sat here and talked about how Joe hardly ever saw a completed pass that wasn't perfectly placed. Meanwhile, Welker is snatching anything low, high and indifferent. Calvin Johnson is beating freakin triple coverage in the red zone.

The fact that Joe Flacco has accomplished as much as he has, given the circumstances, is impressive if you ask me.

Build an offensive system around him, give him a line and give him multiple WRs that can scare a defense.

Watch what happens.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

I am willing to endure an 8-8 season to overhaul the team for Joe. The tag may force it anyway, might as well start life without Lewis and Reed next year. Get some beef on the O-Line would be my #1 priority.

Blog Entries

I agree 100%. I believe they have the talent in skill positions to be a top offense now. Cam just couldn't figure out how to use the talent.

Sorry OP. You're off base with your comments that the FO wasn't making a serious effort to build around Joe. The fact of the matter is that what the Ravens tried to do simply didn't work but you can't question their intentions. They drafted guys like Oher, Rice, Torrey, Ed Dickson, Pitta and Doss for a reason hoping these guys would complement Joe well. Whether some of these parts work out remains to be seen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Sorry OP. You're off base with your comments that the FO wasn't making a serious effort to build around Joe. The fact of the matter is that what the Ravens tried to do simply didn't work but you can't question their intentions. They drafted guys like Oher, Rice, Torrey, Ed Dickson, Pitta and Doss for a reason hoping these guys would complement Joe well. Whether some of these parts work out remains to be seen.
    I think you are both right, but there was a two year portion if Joe's career that was definately win now, don't blow it and they allowed the O-Line to suffer.

Blog Entries

The talent is there. This isn't the 2000 offense. Rice is a great player. The Ravens are 3 deep at receiver. They have 2 effective tight ends. They have the best fullback in the NFL. The offensive line is below average but it's not horrible. There is a lot of talent for Joe to work with. He has more than any QB in Ravens history ever had before.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The talent is there. This isn't the 2000 offense. Rice is a great player. The Ravens are 3 deep at receiver. They have 2 effective tight ends. They have the best fullback in the NFL. The offensive line is below average but it's not horrible. There is a lot of talent for Joe to work with. He has more than any QB in Ravens history ever had before.
    This.

The moves on the O-line haven't been great, but they have tried every year to add talent to the O for Joe. Hopefully it really has been an issue of Cam holding him, and the O in general, back.

P.S.- captain, stop with all these new avatars. Put up your old one, the beer label. That is the one for you. ;)

Blog Entries

Maybe I am just being cynical, but I don't have as much faith in Flacco as you guys do. I think Flacco is an above average QB, but if you make him the focal point of the offense, I think he will let the team down. IMO, Flacco prospers the most when the offense goes through Ray Rice, and he can use play action to get the ball to his receivers. I think the reason the Ravens offense has not taken off is not because they haven't "let Joe loose", but rather the play calling hasn't played to Flacco's strengths. They have run way too many slow developing, low percentage plays, when Flacco does the best when he gets into a rythmn by running more quck hitting higher percentage plays. The Ravens offense may never be as explosive as the Patriots or Packers offenses, because Flacco isn't as good a QB as Brady or Rodgers. Caldwell can bring elements of the Colts offense to the Ravens, but Flacco isn't Peyton Manning either. However, that doesn't mean that the Ravens offense can't be better than it has been. There is still plenty of room for improvement. I am just afraid that the Ravens are going to try and force Flacco to be something that he isn't to try and justify a new contract.

9. Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

I agree that Joe has been handcuffed by Cam's system and no, he hasn't had a dominating WR to haul in passes, but Boldin and Torrey make a very formidable pair, Jacoby and Tandon are two solid backups as well. I think the talent has been built year by year, we just haven't had the system or coordinator to make it that effective. I think that if you do go ahead and invest the big bucks in Joe, you HAVE to not only build things around him, but you have to make it his team. Do things that utilize his strengths as well as the others, bring in some stout OL (Yanda, KO, and Oher make a nice group, but we need a C pretty badly) and allow him to have control.

Of course, you can't continue to allow the defense to go to the wayside. Granted injuries have hurt us this year and there's a lot of inexperienced youth, but we need to also make sure it stays at least solid on that side of the ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    I agree that Joe has been handcuffed by Cam's system and no, he hasn't had a dominating WR to haul in passes, but Boldin and Torrey make a very formidable pair, Jacoby and Tandon are two solid backups as well. I think the talent has been built year by year, we just haven't had the system or coordinator to make it that effective. I think that if you do go ahead and invest the big bucks in Joe, you HAVE to not only build things around him, but you have to make it his team. Do things that utilize his strengths as well as the others, bring in some stout OL (Yanda, KO, and Oher make a nice group, but we need a C pretty badly) and allow him to have control.

Of course, you can't continue to allow the defense to go to the wayside. Granted injuries have hurt us this year and there's a lot of inexperienced youth, but we need to also make sure it stays at least solid on that side of the ball.
    But you see, that's just it. If the Ravens give Flacco the contract he wants, they won't have the cap space to get all of those other pieces, and Flacco isn't good enough to put the team on his back and carry them to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    But you see, that's just it. If the Ravens give Flacco the contract he wants, they won't have the cap space to get all of those other pieces, and Flacco isn't good enough to put the team on his back and carry them to victory.
    Other way around.

If Flacco is franchised, we're in much deeper trouble in terms of cap space.

Giving Flacco a contract, even one as big as he seeks (which he wont get), still helps the team in terms of cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Which could be why they cut ties with Cameron to see once for all what Joe can do without him. If Joe plays lights out the rest of the season and leads us to the superbowl then Joe has the leverage in contract negotiations.