Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 171819

Re: Game Thread -- Texans @ Patriots (Keeping an Eye on the Playoff Competition)

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    The truly unnerving thing is that Indianapolis is now in control of its own destiny, with both its games vs Houston remaining (sandwiching a trip to KC). Win out & they take the AFC South--& the mighty Texans fall to the #5 seed & in all probability come to M&T on Wild Card Weekend.
    Then again, if Flacco and the Ravens step up the game after their main excuse has been removed and beat Denver, I don't think us winning out is all that unlikely.

And if the Colts win out and we win out, we get the #2 seed at worst, and the #1 seed with one more Patriots loss. All of it is longish odds, us winning out, the Colts winning out and the Pats losing again. But that is the optimum, and as long as it is still possible, I'll be rooting for it.

The funny thing about that scenario you are worried about, where the Colts get the #3 seed, we get the #4 seed, is that if we assume Pittsburgh beats Cincy and gets the last WC spot, then the WC round is Houston at Baltimore rematch of last year's Divisional round playoff, and interim-HC Bruce Arians and the Colts vs the team that canned him, the Steelers.

Then if the Colts win and we win, then we get a rematch of last year's AFCCG at Foxborough while Luck and the Colts play their HoF former QB now-playing at Denver.

Depending on those results (admittedly, the two least likely, near-impossible results) we could then travel to Indy to play our former D-coordinator's team with him recovering from cancer in the skybox (or on the sideline) while their former HC is our OC.

Every game would have a storyline from last year. Every game.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 12-11-2012 at 01:55 AM.

2. Re: Game Thread -- Texans @ Patriots (Keeping an Eye on the Playoff Competition)

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Cameron should take notes oh wait they fired his ass thank god

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caldwell and Harbs still should pay close attention and learn what they can from what Bellicheck & the Pats did to Houston.

Re: Game Thread -- Texans @ Patriots (Keeping an Eye on the Playoff Competition)

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Caldwell and Harbs still should pay close attention and learn what they can from what Bellicheck & the Pats did to Houston.
    They showed that high powered offense is more important than high powered D. If we can get back to the blitzkrieg we saw glimpses of earlier this year we can take the Pats. We already did once. I think if the Ravens hadn't limped into Houston so beat up desperate for that bye that game would have come down to the final minutes.

Blog Entries

Pats looked like they could score at will. I know Houston got some stops but they were outmatched and outcoached. And I still can't get over how quickly Brady gets rid of the ball

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Then again, if Flacco and the Ravens step up the game after their main excuse has been removed and beat Denver, I don't think us winning out is all that unlikely.
    If they can beat the Nags here, they can beat the Giants here. Divisional games are always a crapshoot but at that point you're right, it's not that improbable.
    And if the Colts win out and we win out, we get the #2 seed at worst, and the #1 seed with one more Patriots loss. All of it is longish odds, us winning out, the Colts winning out and the Pats losing again. But that is the optimum, and as long as it is still possible, I'll be rooting for it.
    Nope, longer odds even that that. If the Pats, Ravens & any other team all finish at 12-4, head to head is out & NE still gets the #1 seed via best conference record (10-2 at worst). The only way for Baltimore to get #1 seed with the Pats losing only once more is for Houston to lose out, Indy to choke at KC, & Denver to lose at home either to Cleveland or Oakland, leaving NE and BAL alone at 12-4, whence head to head kicks in. Otherwise the Pats would need to lose twice in their last 3 games.
    The funny thing about that scenario you are worried about, where the Colts get the #3 seed, we get the #4 seed...
    Just FTR, I am not "worried" about that scenario--it's unnerving to me because this should've been a rebuilding year for the Hosses & yet they're right in the thick of things. If the Ravens start at #4 at home vs Houston and Indy is at #3 playing the Stealers, it could be a blessing--handle the Texans, get by the #2 seed (probably Denver) at their house, & if the Pittsburgh defense rises to their challenges, you'd have the AFCC game a classic AFC North slugfest at M&T.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Nope, longer odds even that that. If the Pats, Ravens & any other team all finish at 12-4, head to head is out & NE still gets the #1 seed via best conference record (10-2 at worst). The only way for Baltimore to get #1 seed with the Pats losing only once more is for Houston to lose out, Indy to choke at KC, & Denver to lose at home either to Cleveland or Oakland, leaving NE and BAL alone at 12-4, whence head to head kicks in. Otherwise the Pats would need to lose twice in their last 3 games.
    You are right that NE needs a specific loss, to Miami or Jax, losing to SF doesn't do the trick. If we win out we finish 10-2 in the AFC. If NE loses another game to an AFC team (Miami or Jax) then they also finish 10-2 in Conference. The Colts and Denver can only finish 9-3 in the AFC at best (assuming we win out, which gives Denver their 4th loss and 3rd AFC loss).

And in a 4-way tie at 12-4 of Ravens, Pats, Broncos, and Colts, there is no head-to-head sweep (or swept) involved, so next step is Conference record. That would eliminate Broncos and Colts and then the tie between us and NE starts over at head-to-head. So we get the #1 seed. But again, you are right that the Pats need their one loss to come in their final two games (vs. AFC).

Also, it looks like if Houston finishes 12-4 and wins their division by splitting with the Colts and losing to Minny, and NE loses to Jax or Miami, and we win out, then it would go to strength of victory, as head-to-head doesn't work (no sweeps/swept), Conference all 10-2, common games does not apply (no 4 in common for all teams), next is strength of victory (havent checked yet who likely wins).

If Houston finished 12-4 and wins division after getting swept by Colts but seeing the Colts lose to KC to finish 11-5, then Houston's AFC record becomes 9-3, and they are eliminated early, leaving us and NE at 10-2 which is broken again with head-to-head in our favor.

And....If Houston and the Colts do finish 11-5 and the Pats (regardless of where their loss comes from), Ravens and Denver finish 12-4 then we get #1 due to head-to-head sweep of both of them. Wouldn't even get to Conference record where NE could be one game better than us.

It actually looks like if we win out, Houston finishes 12-4 (or worse), and NE loses an AFC game (not gonna happen, I know), then we get the #1 seed in almost every possible case. Still have to sort out the strength of victory situation in a Hou-NE-Ravens 3-way tie where all teams 12-4 overall and 10-2 in conference.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 12-11-2012 at 09:31 PM.