Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Caldwell Style

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    As long as he knows Flacco isn't Manning haha. This worries me a lot
    You will see the difference in the offense, Caldwell actually listens to his players, Cameron doesn't.

Blog Entries

Lol at people saying what is going to happen. Bottom line we don't know. He's never been a OC in the NFL anyway. What you can hope is that he lets Flacco do his thing and calls in not plays, but from his experinece in what Peyton might do in whatever situation. In any case it's better than what we've been getting so sit back and enjoy the ride.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    You will see the difference in the offense, Caldwell actually listens to his players, Cameron doesn't.
    I hope you are right bro. It's going to have to be the offense that carries us from here for the rest of the season and play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I hope you are right bro. It's going to have to be the offense that carries us from here for the rest of the season and play offs.
    It will be easier for Joe to work with someone he actually likes and can relate too. Caldwell isn't a showoff like Cameron is. Yahoo's Jason Cole wrote an article today which explains what we know about Cameron already (control freak) but he also said that Cameron was worst than Nick Saban in that department when he was the Dolphins head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Here's the article from Jason Cole:

In a season of dramatic moves by the Fabulous Harbaugh Brothers, older brother John might have just topped Jim.

Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh fired offensive coordinator Cam Cameron on Monday following a 31-28 overtime loss to the Washington Redskins on Sunday. Whereas Jim made a seemingly abrupt call to replace starting quarterback Alex Smith with the inexperienced Colin Kaepernick, John's decision was an accumulation of personal issues between Cameron, quarterback Joe Flacco and the rest of the coaching staff, team sources have indicated.

In short, Cameron is a control freak. He has been for years. Ask people who were in Miami when he served as Dolphins head coach for just one season (2007) and you'll hear stories about how it was actually easier for people in the building to deal with Nick Saban than Cameron.

That is why, despite a pretty reasonable performance by Baltimore's offense against Washington, this move had to be made. Whether that was now or in the offseason, the Ravens were going to have to divorce themselves of Cameron if they eventually wanted to keep Flacco happy.

"My charge – our responsibility as a coaching staff – is to maximize the opportunities for our team to win, and we can still reach all of our goals for this season," Harbaugh said in a statement released Monday. "With our coaches and players, the solution is in the building. We are going to make the most of our opportunities going forward, and this change gives us a better possibility to achieve our goals."

While there are some people who will debate the veracity of keeping Flacco happy, the truth is that it's a lot harder to find a good quarterback than an offensive coordinator. The Ravens (9-4), still with a two-game lead over the Bengals and Steelers in the AFC North, spent almost a decade looking for someone to build around at quarterback. They went through Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac, Kyle Boller and Steve McNair without finding a long-term solution.

Baltimore wasted years with one of the greatest defenses in the history of the game, winning only one Super Bowl largely because it lacked a great triggerman on offense. While it's hard to call Flacco great just yet, he's on a pretty good path. To junk him would be an outrageous gamble.

So instead, do your best to make him happy.

Subbing in Jim Caldwell, the low-key former quarterback coach to Peyton Manning and eventual Colts head coach, was a terrific first move. While Caldwell is just as smart as Cameron, one of Caldwell's best qualities is that he doesn't crave attention. Caldwell is a facilitator of other people's success. He knows when to interject himself and when to back away.

By contrast, Cameron is like the Advanced Placement high school teacher who wants to show everybody how smart he is every day. He's also overtly religious and comes off as a preacher at times, rather than a compatriot.

Between Flacco, running back Ray Rice and wide receivers Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin, the Ravens have still managed to be a top-10 scoring offense at 25.5 points per game. However, the unit has faced its share of scrutiny, often leading Flacco to make snide remarks and replies to reporters about how they should go talk to Cameron.

The issues between the pair apparently became significantly worse in 2010. That season, the Ravens brought in Jim Zorn to be the quarterback coach. The gregarious, enthusiastic Zorn got along great with Flacco, but rubbed Cameron the wrong way. Some people believe that Cameron became concerned about how well Zorn and Flacco got along. Whatever it was, Zorn was out after one season.

On top of that, the pressure is also growing for Flacco. He's in the final year of his contract and this season has been a study in inconsistency. He was good Sunday, but struggled in the previous three games (San Diego and two against Pittsburgh). Flacco was also subpar against Houston, Kansas City and Philadelphia this year.

Given where the Ravens are in terms of both their immediate future (they are a fourth-and-29 conversion away from losing three in a row) and the long-term (Flacco is presumably the face of the franchise for at least another few years), a change had to be made.

Even if it's a change with only three weeks left in the regular season.

Guys, I wouldn't get too used to Caldwell. Nor do I think his style is relevant.

The system is not going to that much different these three games (hopefully more). And if we flame out early in the playoffs, he most likely won't be the OC next season.

Especially if Norv or Hugh are unemployed.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Guys, I wouldn't get too used to Caldwell. Nor do I think his style is relevant.

The system is not going to that much different these three games (hopefully more). And if we flame out early in the playoffs, he most likely won't be the OC next season.

Especially if Norv or Hugh are unemployed.
    They should bring him back as the QB coach if he wants it, we'll see how these last three games play out. I would love for Norv to come here but Hugh may not come here since according to SI's Don Banks Harbaugh and I quote "Wasn't sad to see him leave".

I have no idea what to expect from Caldwell as an O coordinator. I do believe the players will rally around him because he is not the ego maniac that Cam was. There was obviously friction between Cam and the players. The video clip of Rice yelling at him on the sideline during a game tells you all you need to know about why he was fired.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Wow

In short, Cameron is a control freak. He has been for years. Ask people who were in Miami when he served as Dolphins head coach for just one season (2007) and you'll hear stories about how it was actually easier for people in the building to deal with Nick Saban than Cameron.
    This is something I'd never heard about as a problem with Cam:

He's also overtly religious and comes off as a preacher at times, rather than a compatriot.

Blog Entries

Caldwell was on Ozzie's short list when HARBs got the job. Oz liked Marty-ball too since he played for him in Cleveland but he dropped out when he learned his son was on the list.

So if HARBs is fired later, it would be ironic if
    Caldwell got his job.

Just saying.

This isn't the first time a late season move like this has been made, From CBS Sportsline's Clark Judge:

With Baltimore losing its second straight, something had to be done to put the club back on its feet ... though this is something drastic. Seldom do in-season firings of coordinators make an immediate difference (see Philadelphia and Juan Castillo and Tennessee and Chris Palmer), but there is a notable exception. The New York Giants tried it before the last game of 2006, hiring then quarterbacks-coach Kevin Gilbride as their offensive coordinator for a must-win contest with Washington.

That was a panic move, with coach Tom Coughlin almost surely in line to get fired if he didn't win the season finale and reach the playoffs. The Giants did, and now you know the rest of the story.
    Hopefully the Ravens can do what the Giants eventually did by winning Superbowls.

well im a little confused and maybe you guys can help me here. One of the critiques of Cam is that he is holding flacco back, but at the same time there are others that criticize Cam saying that Rice should be the focus of the offense. If youve got a QB that thinks he should be paid Elite QB money arent you going to want to have the offense centered around him and relying on him passing (a lot) like the guys he wants to be paid like? if it's centered around rice, isnt that basically admitting your QB isnt elite at all and thus should be seen more as a "game manager" and paid accordingly? So at this point in the season, who do you think Jim should center the offensive play calling/scheme around? I'm cool either way with Jim getting promoted, but Im just curious where you think he needs to go with this