Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Caldwell Style

Quote Originally Posted by kojo View Post
    well im a little confused and maybe you guys can help me here. One of the critiques of Cam is that he is holding flacco back, but at the same time there are others that criticize Cam saying that Rice should be the focus of the offense. If youve got a QB that thinks he should be paid Elite QB money arent you going to want to have the offense centered around him and relying on him passing (a lot) like the guys he wants to be paid like? if it's centered around rice, isnt that basically admitting your QB isnt elite at all and thus should be seen more as a "game manager" and paid accordingly? So at this point in the season, who do you think Jim should center the offensive play calling/scheme around? I'm cool either way with Jim getting promoted, but Im just curious where you think he needs to go with this
    The Ravens have an elite RB unlike NE, PIT, GB, DEN, NYG, NO so it's kind of complicated. Caldwell has to go with the flow of the game, if Rice is hot stay with the hot hand, same with Flacco. Houston is in the same situation, they just paid Schaub $15 over 4 years back in September but he's not an elite QB but he really doesn't have to be since he has an elite RB. This whole elite crap is media hyped, the true elite QBs don't have elite RBs to rely on so they have to do a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    The Ravens have an elite RB unlike NE, PIT, GB, DEN, NYG, NO so it's kind of complicated. Caldwell has to go with the flow of the game, if Rice is hot stay with the hot hand, same with Flacco. Houston is in the same situation, they just paid Schaub $15 over 4 years back in September but he's not an elite QB but he really doesn't have to be since he has an elite RB. This whole elite crap is media hyped, the true elite QBs don't have elite RBs to rely on so they have to do a lot more.
    Elway is an example of "elite QB" that took more of a backseat when he got an elite RB and used that to get his Super Bowls.

Here's the article from Jason Cole:
    thats an eye opener! I have new insight, ego-maniacal, and I forgot about Rice shouting at Cam. Thats why I read these boards. - Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreraventerp View Post
    Elway is an example of "elite QB" that took more of a backseat when he got an elite RB and used that to get his Super Bowls.
    Exactly but the only difference is Elway built a Hall of Fame resume before Terrell Davis. I'm personally tired of the word elite, it's just annoying.

But yet i dont think Joe wants to get paid like Schaub. If he wants to be paid like brees, ben, manning, rodgers, etc he has to perform/put up numbers like them to do it right? Since those QBs are so good they don't need to tie a lot of money into an RB like Rice. They just need a decent one and the money is spent elsewhere like WR and OL. The confusion from me is they just invested a lot in rice so i would figure they want him to be more of the centerpiece. Either the team is pass oriented or it's based on the run. If folks think the play calling is too vanilla right now, I imagine we want more passing plays (and more creative at that) then and not more run run pass?

Also, it is arguable that Brady doesnt have an elite RB especially when they are actually second to the Texans in rushing attempts so far this season and have the top ranked offense in the league. Ridley has been really good. Ridley is not established but this season he is very good along with the other RBs they use. So although there is no question it is Brady's offense, they are pretty balanced this year in run/pass ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Guys, I wouldn't get too used to Caldwell. Nor do I think his style is relevant.

The system is not going to that much different these three games (hopefully more). And if we flame out early in the playoffs, he most likely won't be the OC next season.

Especially if Norv or Hugh are unemployed.
    Unless he lights it up, he's a stop gap measure.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I have no idea what to expect from Caldwell as an O coordinator. I do believe the players will rally around him because he is not the ego maniac that Cam was. There was obviously friction between Cam and the players. The video clip of Rice yelling at him on the sideline during a game tells you all you need to know about why he was fired.
    This sounds right. The one change will be JC allowing players more imput during the games. Turning it over to guys on the feild, unlike Cam who doesnt EVER focus on another teams weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreraventerp View Post
    Also, it is arguable that Brady doesnt have an elite RB especially when they are actually second to the Texans in rushing attempts so far this season and have the top ranked offense in the league. Ridley has been really good. Ridley is not established but this season he is very good along with the other RBs they use. So although there is no question it is Brady's offense, they are pretty balanced this year in run/pass ratio.
    The Ravens need to be balanced and make the offense Flacco and Rice friendly, it can be done. The media are the ones who are picking sides (Flacco/Rice).

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    This sounds right. The one change will be JC allowing players more imput during the games. Turning it over to guys on the feild, unlike Cam who doesnt EVER focus on another teams weakness.
    The Cam Cameron soap opera: "As the Game Plan Never Changes"

Quote Originally Posted by kojo View Post
    But yet i dont think Joe wants to get paid like Schaub. If he wants to be paid like brees, ben, manning, rodgers, etc he has to perform/put up numbers like them to do it right? Since those QBs are so good they don't need to tie a lot of money into an RB like Rice. They just need a decent one and the money is spent elsewhere like WR and OL. The confusion from me is they just invested a lot in rice so i would figure they want him to be more of the centerpiece. Either the team is pass oriented or it's based on the run. If folks think the play calling is too vanilla right now, I imagine we want more passing plays (and more creative at that) then and not more run run pass?
    First we don't know how much Joe wants now, we can't keep assuming he is still pushing for big time elite QB money. He might be but we can't assume that is the case now (When you assume you are making an ass out of you and me). Second the offense should be balanced where it is Rice and Flacco friendly.

The Ravens need to be balanced and make the offense Flacco and Rice friendly, it can be done. The media are the ones who are picking sides (Flacco/Rice).
    I agree. Flacco can look "elite" even if Rice gets the ball a lot. Rice is versatile so we can have games where Flacco passes a lot more than we run but Rice is still very involved if the game dictates that the team should pass more.