Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Observations from Someone Who Went to FedEx Yesterday

I took my 9 year old son to his first "roadie" yesterday and it was my first time at FedEx as well. A few observations:

1) The place was (it seemed to me) 50/50 to 60/40 Redskins to Ravens fans. Way to represent B-more!

2) What was a complete shocker to me was that the stadium was far from full. From where I was sitting, it looked like the upper deck was maybe 60-70% filled. There were also noticeable gaps in the club area as well. Kind of hard to believe considering the Skins are on the cusp of a playoff berth.

3) Noise level - no where near what it is at M&T. However, the Baltimore faithful made themselves heard. Again, way to represent!

4) They have to use the scoreboards to prompt the fans to cheer (can't tell you how many times I saw them flash LOUDER and similar messages on the board). What is up with that?

5) It was a hell of a game, but sucked that we lost. Most of the fans I sat near were pretty cool and classy. A couple of Skins fans were getting into it with some Ravens fans, but to be fair, both sides were emboldened by liquid courage and there was significant d-baggery on both sides.

6) The stadium itself is OK, kinda non-descript and sparse on the outside, nice in the seating bowl. It's certainly a big stadium, but feels smaller than what it is because it is build almost straight up (glad my seats were in the lower bowl).

7) Glad I took the Metro. Driving in and out of there definitely looks as billed. I was expecting Armegeddon getting in and out of there, but the Metro is a very doable .8 mile away (you can pretty much see the stadium when you get out of the station grounds) and very easy for my kid. They are really improving the area around the Morgan Boulevard station (I understand it used to be really scary). We got right on a train and got home in the Columbia area around 6:30 (not too bad considering the game went into OT).

Anyone else that was there yesterday, what were your experiences?

Blog Entries

Re: Observations from Someone Who Went to FedEx Yesterday

Believe me, any Redskin fan would trade owners and stadiums with us in a heartbeat.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The parking experience of getting in and out is horrible. One hour just to exit from Purple lot onto 495.

One thing that jumped out at me. After touchdowns, they pump in the fight song through the PA system, WITH THE VOCALS!

After all I've heard of HTTR being such a great song and such a great sports moments when the fans sing it, the volume is coming from the PA.

After field goals, they play the song without vocals, and you can hardly realize anyone is singing.

Blog Entries

Ditto Scally.

I went to the first Ravens game there. We call it Ex Lax Field. It looked like it was built with a toy
    erector set compared to our stadium, same with HIney field in Piss.

The one advantage I saw was the escalator went all the way to the top from the outside.

The seats were smaller than ours and there wasn't as much leg room very important for a big guy like me.

Their sky boxes were enclosed while our rich people have sliding doors leading to a balcony on the out side. Ours just looked better.

Ex Lax looked like a cheap imitation of the old
    doughnut stadiums of the 70s, just like RFK totally enclosed which is bad for clausterphobics while ours has open notices on the ends.

I was with the Ravens Nests and it took forever for the bus to get off the lots. When we parked near H lot downtown it was just a zip off the lot and you're on 95 N or S.

Ours is much better and I'm not saying that as a homie. It's a fact. I was there when Banks threw the interception that lost the game.

I went yesterday. The escalator to the upper level was fantastic. I thought the stadium itself was fine. Definitely wasn't as loud as M&T, but they certainly didn't shame themselves. We got there around 10:30 and ended up in the Green B3 lot. I wanted to park in the first green lot on Arena Dr., but we ended up taking the wrong fork. That screwed us getting out, as we couldn't get back to Arena Dr, and ended up having to go down Garrett Morgan Blvd to 214, and then back up to 495. Took us about an hour to get to 495. I think the stadium itself gets a bad rap, but the egress definitely stinks.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
    The parking experience of getting in and out is horrible. One hour just to exit from Purple lot onto 495.
    That's what I had been hearing. Driving there sucks. That was one of the reasons I did the Metro thing. I work in DC so I know the system really well (I know all of the workarounds in case there are delays, etc.). Kind of helps.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I went yesterday. The escalator to the upper level was fantastic. I thought the stadium itself was fine. Definitely wasn't as loud as M&T, but they certainly didn't shame themselves. We got there around 10:30 and ended up in the Green B3 lot. I wanted to park in the first green lot on Arena Dr., but we ended up taking the wrong fork. That screwed us getting out, as we couldn't get back to Arena Dr, and ended up having to go down Garrett Morgan Blvd to 214, and then back up to 495. Took us about an hour to get to 495. I think the stadium itself gets a bad rap, but the egress definitely stinks.
    What time did you get on the road? I left right after the game ended and as I was walking down Morgan, it looked like it was flowing pretty well. I guess getting out of the parking lot was probably another story, eh?

We walked out right after game, went to our vehicle, packed up and got in. I'd say within 30-35 minutes after the end of the game we were in the car idling. Just took awhile to get out of the lot. We sat in our parking spot for at least 15-20 minutes.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I am glad to hear that those that went did not have the horrible experience I had the past 2 Ravens games there...maybe things have gotten better.

As I was sitting on my couch yesterday afternoon feeling miserable, I thought I could only imagine being a Ravens fan at FedEx was 10x worse. Glad it wasn't that bad, apparently.

I mentioned in the gameday thread that my sister is a Redskins fan and bought club seats. We hung out in the club section, sitting in leather seats watching the Saints/Giants game until halftime, then left. As I live in Alexandria, VA, we drove pretty much straight there. Northbound on the Washington beltway didn't look as easy.

They improved their stadium experience immensely with the addition of the HD monitors, which they got in the 2011 off season. What was going on before was just shameful (I believe the regulars called it "the Lite Brite"). And, yeah, it seems they've ALWAYS had to tell the FedEx crowd when to make noise and when not to.

I was there and although the escalators to the top were nice, one of then was out of service, just like the ones on the Washington Metro. I tailgated with BMore About Town in the $40 cash lot across from Jericho City of Praise. I took the Metro both ways and it was better than I expected despite the single tracking they do every weekend on virtually all Metro lines due to trackwork.

I'd say it was mostly 40 per cent Ravens fans there there were Ravens fans sitting behind me and some next to me. I have to stop going to see the Ravens on the road as I'm 0 and 5 when I go in person. FedEx in 2000, Cleveland in 2001, Atlanta in 2010, Jacksonville in 2011 and now FedEx in 2012 all losses. Probably jinx my team on the road.