Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
You are making this into a false dilemma, I.E., your argument is that there are only two options:

1) Pay Flacco a back-breaking salary that renders this team unable to compete ever again, or
2) Dump Flacco.

The reality is that both of those two things are unlikely. In your world, no team would ever be able to re-sign their quarterback.

The most likely scenario is that the Ravens re-sign Flacco to a deal both sides are comfortable with, and I believe that can happen. Another problem with your argument is that we have no idea what the present state of the negotiations are or who is asking for what. We will NEVER know those things, and don't assume the "leaked information" you get from the press is anything other than what it is--noise, fog, and misdirection.
Fair enough. You are correct that we don't know the state of the current negotiations. All we do know is that the Ravens made Flacco an offer that he rejected before the season started, but we don't know what the terms of that offer were. The Ravens have been negotiating with Flacco's agent for a while, so it is highly likely that proposed terms have been submitted by both sides, with no agreement as of yet. The rest is just speculation. I would love for Flacco to be resigned to a deal both sides agree with. The problem that you seem to be ignoring is that there appears to be a difference in perception regarding Flacco's value between Flacco and his agent and the Ravens. Sometimes those differences are not bridged, otherwise no player would leave their team.