Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Does Joe Flacco, a/k/a Joe Statue, have a Low Football IQ?

Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2007 View Post
    I was willing to go with him being unaware... you maintain that he just had really bad judgement.
    I can't say Flacco has bad judgement (I have seen bad judgement in a QB: Vinny Testeverde, come on down!!). I do think he just processes things slowly and reacts slowly to what he reads. Given more time, he probably would make more plays.

Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2007 View Post
    Okay, well this is much more critical of Joe than my assessment. You maintain that he saw the blitz but stubbornly continued with the play call getting hit and intercepted in the red zone. I was willing to go with him being unaware... you maintain that he just had really bad judgement.
    Perhaps there is a misunderstanding, bacchys was replying to my post where I beleive what you said was that he never saw the guy coming at him and just stood there and got hit when in fact he slid to the left a bit and then made the poor decision to try and trhow it. If you meant that he did not see that rusher lined up before the snap then I apologize and that is certainly a debatable item.

It is fair to critcize Joe like the throw he tried in this instance but sometimes I think people see one bad pass and think every pass was bad or that one sack which must mean that he was like that the whole game and never tried to escape or throw the ball away or something. Like last game against the Steelers, there was the bad underthrow so many only remembered that and thought all the deep balls were like that when in fact most were on target and at least catchable if not great throws. Film came out last week and said this himself.

Criticize Joe when he deserves it but don't make crap up that didn't happen just because you were so upset over that one play.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I can't say Flacco has bad judgement (I have seen bad judgement in a QB: Vinny Testeverde, come on down!!). I do think he just processes things slowly and reacts slowly to what he reads. Given more time, he probably would make more plays.
    Disagree, he has made those quick throws when they do them and quick decisions but when in the turtle mode, what I call Cam going back to his bread and butter in the Coryell, he has to wait 3 to 5 seconds and many times these were just not open and so it looks like he is what are all the cliches? Deer in headlights, daydreaming, slow Joe, head somewhere else, etc. if he really could not read defenses that well then they would be more likely to fool him and he would throw more picks. Not saying he never makes bad decisions or that he never gets flustered, I think the whole system flustered him at times.

Now with Cam gone we shall see if this is true
    Last edited by RavenMan; 12-10-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling typo

I can't take seriously a thread that calls flacco a statue and yet questions Joes IQ.

its time to design an offense to Flaccos strengths. he is a winning QB. tony may not value winning as a measure of greatness but winning is the bottomline.

5. Re: Does Joe Flacco, a/k/a Joe Statue, have a Low Football IQ?

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    The sack strips increasing this year are a result of a couple of things. One as you mentioned the deep routes. The oline is really bad on the edges this year as Osmele and Oher are worse than McKinnie and Oher from last year. The regression of the middle of the Oline. He rarely has a clean pocket to step up in. He has also held the ball longer than he should waiting for receivers to get open. With the defense playing poorly I think he is putting more pressure on himself to make something happen. He also needs to step up and get rid of it quicker. The fumble yesterday he should have stepped up in the pocket. Oher got beat pretty badly but if Joe had stepped up he may have been able to get rid of the ball. It was a straightline to him once the End got around Oher rather than having to curl back in to get him.
    You can add 2 more things to your list: that with Cam constantly sending our WRs on the same 4 routes, especially deep and out, that the opposing D's began to anticipate and sit on those routes, forcing Joe to hold on to the ball longer waiting for his WRs as they struggled to get any seperation.

Also our WRs inability to beat man to man press coverage for the past couple of seasons, meant Joe had to wait while the WRs fought just to get off the line and into their routes.

Face it, given how makeshift our O-Line has been for 3 seasons due to injuries and guys leaving for other teams, Cam's approach, both with his play design and play calling made absolutely no sense, literally defying any rational explanation beyond Cam's unrequited love for the long ball.

Which is why many of us have been repeating this mantra for several years now: CAM MUST GO.

And now he finally has.

Let's see what happens next.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    He did run the ball yesterday, on 3rd and 6 in OT, right before we punted the game away. He got 3 yards after scrambling for several seconds to find an open receiver--which there wasn't. Go and check the game thread for how people felt about that. Here's a hint: they didn't like it, even though they asked for it (as you're asking for it) last week. Can't please some people.

Then go back and watch the 2nd TD to Boldin, or the TD to Pitta. Watch Joe slide around in the pocket and buy time, then tell me he can't do those things. It's getting very hard to listen to people bitch about the same things week after week.

I don't have the "true" answer for why Joe can do these things sometimes but not others, but I have a theory supported by evidence: when Joe is comfortable in the offense, his pocket presence, awareness, and mechanics (really his overall QB play) are substantially better than when he is NOT comfortable. Just an FYI, that's true for EVERY QB in the league.

The question then becomes, when is Joe comfortable? When he's running the no huddle, throwing quick patterns over the middle, and generally operating a modern offense. We don't do that all that much under Cam.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Although Joe had a 120+ rating yesterday, RGIII's rating was higher. I would wager that in all (or most) of the games you looked at, the winning QB simply had the higher rating, and it's quite rare to have a game where BOTH QB's have such a good rating.
    Back about week 6, I was trying to prove a point to someone, so I went through all the games in the season to that point to check on exactly that. At that point, through 91 games played, 15 games had been won by the team with the QB with the lower passer rating for the game.

Interestingly, two of them were Steelers games--Raiders and Titans. I could hardly help but snicker...

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    And on Kurt Warner, it took him a while, don't forget that he had to go through Europe before he became a star.
    Steve McNair another small school QB

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    You can add 2 more things to your list: that with Cam constantly sending our WRs on the same 4 routes, especially deep and out, that the opposing D's began to anticipate and sit on those routes, forcing Joe to hold on to the ball longer waiting for his WRs as they struggled to get any seperation.

Also our WRs inability to beat man to man press coverage for the past couple of seasons, meant Joe had to wait while the WRs fought just to get off the line and into their routes.

Face it, given how makeshift our O-Line has been for 3 seasons due to injuries and guys leaving for other teams, Cam's approach, both with his play design and play calling made absolutely no sense, literally defying any rational explanation beyond Cam's unrequited love for the long ball.

Which is why many of us have been repeating this mantra for several years now: CAM MUST GO.

And now he finally has.

Let's see what happens next.
    :word