Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does Joe Flacco, a/k/a Joe Statue, have a Low Football IQ?

I need help here, friends.
    Will Joe Statue ever be able to move around in a pocket or is this a football trait that he is simply unable to master? It's no secret that he has a terrific arm, although inconsistency constantly plagues him. But why can he not ever seem to buy himself more time in the pocket like all other QBs? Obviously, he's a good athlete and smart in other respects. What prevents him from moving around back there and, god forbid, maybe even run the ball once in a while when the pocket breaks down?
    It's getting very hard to watch this act repeat itself week in and week out.

Re: Does Joe Flacco, a/k/a Joe Statue, have a Low Football IQ?

He is just not a great QB. Above-average at best. He doesn't improvise well and really isn't a dynamic playmaker. He is like a game-manager enhanced.

He did run the ball yesterday, on 3rd and 6 in OT, right before we punted the game away. He got 3 yards after scrambling for several seconds to find an open receiver--which there wasn't. Go and check the game thread for how people felt about that. Here's a hint: they didn't like it, even though they asked for it (as you're asking for it) last week. Can't please some people.

Then go back and watch the 2nd TD to Boldin, or the TD to Pitta. Watch Joe slide around in the pocket and buy time, then tell me he can't do those things. It's getting very hard to listen to people bitch about the same things week after week.

I don't have the "true" answer for why Joe can do these things sometimes but not others, but I have a theory supported by evidence: when Joe is comfortable in the offense, his pocket presence, awareness, and mechanics (really his overall QB play) are substantially better than when he is NOT comfortable. Just an FYI, that's true for EVERY QB in the league.

The question then becomes, when is Joe comfortable? When he's running the no huddle, throwing quick patterns over the middle, and generally operating a modern offense. We don't do that all that much under Cam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Then go back and watch the 2nd TD to Boldin, or the TD to Pitta. Watch Joe slide around in the pocket and buy time, then tell me he can't do those things. It's getting very hard to listen to people bitch about the same things week after week.

I've long since realized that the low football IQ isn't Flacco's, but many of his critics'. For a long time, I couldn't figure out what games they were watching. Then I realized they just didn't understand what they were seeing on the field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    He did run the ball yesterday, on 3rd and 6 in OT, right before we punted the game away. He got 3 yards after scrambling for several seconds to find an open receiver--which there wasn't. Go and check the game thread for how people felt about that. Here's a hint: they didn't like it, even though they asked for it (as you're asking for it) last week. Can't please some people.

I don't have the "true" answer for why Joe can do these things sometimes but not others, but I have a theory supported by evidence: when Joe is comfortable in the offense, his pocket presence, awareness, and mechanics (really his overall QB play) are substantially better than when he is NOT comfortable. Just an FYI, that's true for EVERY QB in the league.

The question then becomes, when is Joe comfortable? When he's running the no huddle, throwing quick patterns over the middle, and generally operating a modern offense. We don't do that all that much under Cam.
    :word

The Ravens offense is not a QB driven offense. The play calls are not set up to make a QB look good. The Ravens offense excels in no huddle when Joe is controlling the calls. If it was QB issues the offense would not excel in those situations. The Ravens have an offensive philosophy and play calling issue.

This thread should be fun to read now that the cut the anchor loose.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    This thread should be fun to read now that the cut the anchor loose.
    Yup because now there is no excuse when Flacco get's strip sacked holding onto the ball too long. Wonder if we'll see him scramble more like he did as a rookie?

Joe, imho, does NOT have good pocket awareness, and the ablity to think fast on his feet. He does, however, possess great physical tools.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

I dont think Joe will ever have great pocket awareness. Sure it'll get better with experience, but I think that's something that will always plague at times. I just wish that the OC would understand that given Joe isnt great at stepping up the pocket on deep drops and you have a LT who is poor at blocking speed rushers, maybe calling a few quick hitting short combo routes would speed things up. Also called roll outs are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by akili View Post
    I need help here, friends.
    Will Joe Statue ever be able to move around in a pocket or is this a football trait that he is simply unable to master? It's no secret that he has a terrific arm, although inconsistency constantly plagues him. But why can he not ever seem to buy himself more time in the pocket like all other QBs? Obviously, he's a good athlete and smart in other respects. What prevents him from moving around back there and, god forbid, maybe even run the ball once in a while when the pocket breaks down?
    It's getting very hard to watch this act repeat itself week in and week out.
    Joe has a very strong arm and possesses many phyisical talents. He does not seem to be much of a leader as I often see him sitting or standing alone on the sidelines. Manning and Brady are always meeting with the O-line and others on the sidelines reviewing photos and discussing strategy which I rarely seee from Joe. Also, I do not get the impression that Joe is a quick thinker and can adjust to changes in the defense. Just my humble opinion.