Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Filmstudy: Defensive Notes vs. Redskins 12/9/12

Defensive Notes vs. Redskins 12/9/12

As is frequently the case in a close game, the Ravens had a number of 4th-quarter plays which would have greatly increased their chance to win the game if not sealed it. Let’s review:

(Q4, 4:47): Upshaw forced the fumble on the kickoff with the Ravens up 28-20. Reed was ruled to recover and the play was reversed on some of the flimsiest evidence I have ever seen. If that could be overturned, then the Ravens should have been granted a reversal on the Patriots game-winning TD in Baltimore during their perfect regular season.

(Q4, 3:47): On 3rd and 6, Griffin completed a pass to Hankerson for 6 yards. Had the pass been incomplete, the Skins would have punted.

(Q4, 1:42): Cousins entered for Griffin and threw for Garcon. Chris Johnson was flagged for interference and the Redskins converted another 3rd and 6. By this point, the punt option was gone, but the Ravens would have had a shot to stop the Skins on 4th down.

(Q4, 1:37): Cousins completed a 5-yard crossing pattern to Moss who added 10 YAC. Paulson’s block on Ayanbadejo allowed Moss to get to the sideline.

(Q4, 0:45): On 2nd and 20 following intentional grounding by Griffin, Cousins reentered to throw to a wide open Hankerson in the middle of the zone for 15 yards.

(Q4, 0:36): Johnson got inside position on Garcon at the 5-yard line, but took a step towards Moss and Garcon immediately backpedaled and raised his arm for the football. Cousins got the ball over Johnson and into an enormous window to the waiting Garcon to pull the Redskins within 2.

(Q4, 0:29): On the critical 2-point conversion the Ravens lined up in press coverage with all 4 receivers wide (2 to each side). Reed and Pollard each took a side leaving the Ravens just 5 defenders between the tackles. Cousins dropped back and Ngata had good push on Montgomery as Cousins broke past him for the uncontested conversion. Lichtensteiger also had a good block on Bynes.

(OT, 13:52): The Ravens appeared to have gained a field-position advantage with a booming punt from Koch down the right sideline, but despite the favorable location, the Ravens were unable to contain Crawford and the Redskins did not have a flag on the 64-yard return.
    The Redskins out-snapped the Ravens 66 to 57 (excluding Flacco’s kneel). As a result, the tired and depleted defense was unable to seal the deal. That’s now 8 times in 9 games that the Ravens have been out-snapped.

Overall:

Versus the Run: 35 plays, 172 yards, 4.9 YPC
    Versus the Pass: 31 plays, 248 yards, 8.0 YPP
    Overall: 66 plays, 420 yards, 6.4 YPPA

By number of defensive backs:

3 DBs: 2/-2, -1.0 YPPA. These both were 1st and goal from the 1.
    4 DBs: 33/232, 7.0 YPPA, 2 sack, 2 TO
    5 DBs: 28/185, 6.6 YPPA, 1 sack
    6 DBs: 3/5, 1.7 YPPA

By number of pass rushers:

3 or fewer: 1/4, 4.0 YPP
    4: 22/149, 6.8 YPP, 3 sacks
    5: 6/66, 11.0 YPP
    6: 2/29, 14.5 YPP
    7: None

For Individual Notes Click HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Great stuff as always, thanks.

Cody's lack of progress is very worrying.
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"

Blog Entries

Re: Filmstudy: Defensive Notes vs. Redskins 12/9/12

I didn't notice Tyson's absence, wonder if he got dinged?

And the only thing I can think about Bynes was they wanted his speed in there vs RG3, but that is not an encouraging report on him. Bynes and McClain constantly biting on fakes suggests either a very nice customized game plan by Shany2 or some people did not come close to Ray and Ed's level of "Filmstudy"
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Thanks as usual, FS.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    (Q4, 4:47): Upshaw forced the fumble on the kickoff with the Ravens up 28-20. Reed was ruled to recover and the play was reversed on some of the flimsiest evidence I have ever seen. If that could be overturned, then the Ravens should have been granted a reversal on the Patriots game-winning TD in Baltimore during their perfect regular season.
    I posted elsewhere already that I was surprised at the reversal. I know the announcers were confident, but Reed had the ball secure - barely secure, but secure - as he slid out of bounds, and all he did after was change his grip. He never lost control.

Announcers be damned, that was a surprising (and frustrating) call after the review.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Thanks as usual, FS.

I posted elsewhere already that I was surprised at the reversal. I know the announcers were confident, but Reed had the ball secure - barely secure, but secure - as he slid out of bounds, and all he did after was change his grip. He never lost control.

Announcers be damned, that was a surprising (and frustrating) call after the review.
    I still stand by it was a bad call. The ref standing right there made the call that Reed recovered the fumble. Then, the replay refs reverse it after there wasn't clear evidence. I didn't see enough to warrant reversing the call.

The Ravens defense appears weakest right up the middle at all 3 levels--DL, LB, and secondary. Cody is a bust, Kemo is what he is, our ILBs can neither stop the run nor defend the smallest of interior zones, and Ed Reed can no longer player center-fielder at an especially high level.

Shocking to me that despite losing our best CB in Webb and our best edge-setting perimeter defender in Suggs, our weakness is still the middle of the field. The Eagles abused the middle of the field against us in week 2 when we were totally healthy and it has never improved despite what personnel have been on the field.

The only player due to come back from injury soon who may help that problem is Ellerbe, and even he is not great in coverage.

It's great seeing Art come on like he has, now we're seeing why he was projected as early round pick before his injury in college. On the other hand it really appears like Cody is a bust, surprising considering he had a solid last season as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The Ravens defense appears weakest right up the middle at all 3 levels--DL, LB, and secondary. Cody is a bust, Kemo is what he is, our ILBs can neither stop the run nor defend the smallest of interior zones, and Ed Reed can no longer player center-fielder at an especially high level.

Shocking to me that despite losing our best CB in Webb and our best edge-setting perimeter defender in Suggs, our weakness is still the middle of the field. The Eagles abused the middle of the field against us in week 2 when we were totally healthy and it has never improved despite what personnel have been on the field.
    It's interesting. The franchise's defensive peak featured a strong middle; and even with the game's evolutions in schemes, rules, schemes and player utilization, a strong middle is still required.

I did a team mock yesterday and have us taking 2 ILBs, an NT and a FS in rounds 2-5. Each is a violent player with good range/instincts.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    It's interesting. The franchise's defensive peak featured a strong middle; and even with the game's evolutions in schemes, rules, schemes and player utilization, a strong middle is still required.

I did a team mock yesterday and have us taking 2 ILBs, an NT and a FS in rounds 2-5. Each is a violent player with good range/instincts.
    Problem...you didn't address OL!

This team is going to have a tough draft. Holes to fill at OL, ILB, DT, S, CB...and that's not even considering if we let people walk in FA!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Problem...you didn't address OL!

This team is going to have a tough draft. Holes to fill at OL, ILB, DT, S, CB...and that's not even considering if we let people walk in FA!
    No worries lol...I've been on the OL bandwagon. Maybe even driving it along with leachisabeast.

I went OT in round 1, freed up some cash for an FA, and I'm shuffling the OL depending upon how Jah and KO finish the season. But I agree...it will be a challenging draft. The reshuffling will drive the FA position and exact player, but neither will affect my first round selection, Eric Fisher, OT, CMU.

Blog Entries

They're going to have to draft a DT or sign someone like Terrence Knighton next season. Cody is not cutting it at all. No one that big should be pushed around the way he is. Cody just doesn't seem to understand the NFL game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They're going to have to draft a DT or sign someone like Terrence Knighton next season. Cody is not cutting it at all. No one that big should be pushed around the way he is. Cody just doesn't seem to understand the NFL game.
    I agree that he needs some serious technique adjustments.

He's inexpensive though, so why cut him? At worst, he is good depth.

Terrence Knighton might be interesting though. He is very good. He might be out of the ballpark price-wise though.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.