Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3738394041 ... LastLast

Re: Coaching Change?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    What's wrong with speculating. Just thinking out loud and connecting the dots, IF Harbaugh were on the hot seat.

You saw him freak out on him, I didn't have a microphone next to them, did you...?
    What's the saying .... If "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts ....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Or maybe he knew his friend (Cam) was on the hot seat and was lashing out due to his play calling. Maybe Harbs knew that something like that would get Cam fired. If sources are true that the possibility of Cam being fired for the past 3 weeks, maybe Harbs was lashing out at his friend for not doing anything to keep his job. He could have even went to Cam behind closed doors and informed him that if he didn't do better, he was a goner. With the play calling Cam chose, Harbs could have gotten pissed that Cam made no effort to keep his job.
    Certainly possible too.

If I feel I learned one thing about Harbaugh, it's he's loyal - almost to a fault.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Firing a coordinator midseason is NO ONE'S usual behavior. It's rare in the NFL period. But Harbs had no problem letting go of other coaches who he felt weren't pulling their weight in the past. I think Lob's theory about the timing is correct and that makes this move make sense for Harbaugh.

We know he's a risk averse guy. Well, thanks to the Cincy and Pitt losses, we're practically mathematically assured the division. The risk of letting Cam go is outweighed by the potential benefits for the first time since the season started.
    Agreed, thank you Dallas and SD. And sometimes a change just for change's sake can breathe new life into a team.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    No specific evidence, but certainly, this is not Harbaugh's usual behavior. Seems like Front Office was upset and wanted a change, Harbaugh knew he had to do SOMETHING to jump start the offense and went along with it.
    We'll not know for sure for a while, and I'm just throwing out what WNST are saying, but tying all the ends together it could be something like that. Whether it was by Steve or from someone else in high up, the topic of Cam was broached. It could've simply been 'We need to talk about the O, by that I mean Cam' and John was fine going along with it, also sensing what needs to be done. Flacco's progression has got to have been an element, even if it was only minor. We've all been wanting to see how he does under new command - we get that shot.

It does seem out of character, though I never bought the whole 'Harbs is conservative' meme (if you were conservative, why would you go along with an Air Coryell hybrid offense which is risky in both turnovers and %? If he was that conservative, you'd for a minimalist WCO to shorten risks. But whatever).

Now, we get to look at Jim. Caldwell never really calling plays before does make me cautious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What's the saying .... If "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts ....
    Haha.

True, but, "if's" and "but's" are pretty much all we do here... it's pretty much all we can do.

SPEC-U-LA-TION! clap-clap-clapclapclap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Or it could have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Only a fool thinks Harbaugh is satisfied with this team's offensive performances. Not firing Cam sooner had a lot more to do with the risk of not being able to replace him with someone effective than it did with being content with his results. Harbs' seat is cool for at least 2 more seasons, especially considering that he's going to win the division for the second year in a row despite dealing with the worst rash of injuries since our disastrous 07 season.
    clearly he wasn't satisfied with Cam but if thats the case why didn't he make this change by the bye week? why now? I think this got Steve B. written all over it. The timing of this is off for a coach like John not saying I know the guy or the inner workings of the organization, but to me John would have waited til the season is over to make these changes, my hypothesis is that Steve B had seen enough and the fact that they wanted to do this a couple years ago and Cam most likely would not be retained at the end of the season they change had to made now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Or maybe he knew his friend (Cam) was on the hot seat and was lashing out due to his play calling. Maybe Harbs knew that something like that would get Cam fired. If sources are true that the possibility of Cam being fired for the past 3 weeks, maybe Harbs was lashing out at his friend for not doing anything to keep his job. He could have even went to Cam behind closed doors and informed him that if he didn't do better, he was a goner. With the play calling Cam chose, Harbs could have gotten pissed that Cam made no effort to keep his job.
    this could be a possibility as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    clearly he wasn't satisfied with Cam but if thats the case why didn't he make this change by the bye week? why now? I think this got Steve B. written all over it. The timing of this is off for a coach like John not saying I know the guy or the inner workings of the organization, but to me John would have waited til the season is over to make these changes, my hypothesis is that Steve B had seen enough and the fact that they wanted to do this a couple years ago and Cam most likely would not be retained at the end of the season they change had to made now.
    It could have factored with the looming Flacco contract, but I am going to take a flyer on deeper or higher motives and say John finally had enough, knowing his friend wouldn't be the O.C. next year, their was nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    clearly he wasn't satisfied with Cam but if thats the case why didn't he make this change by the bye week? why now? .
    Because unlike then, we are now virtually guaranteed to win our division and host a playoff game even if we lose out. That was not true at the bye week.

That MASSIVELY shifts the risk/reward equation to favor making a move. The worst case scenario is 9-7 and host a playoff game, the best case scenario is 12-4 and potentially win the 2 seed. Either way we're home for the the first playoff game and we get 1/4 of a season's worth of games to evaluate Caldwell and Joe.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I would guess it's someone relatively minor like Moeller or another position coach, something to try and tell the fanbase "Here, we are doing something to try and fix this." Kind of like Andy Reid getting rid of Jim Washburn a couple weeks ago...

Would be shocked if it's Pees or Cameron with three games left in the season.
    The Biscuit had to be really pissed to fire CAM
    at this point. He scored 28 pts yesterday but
    Pees gave up 31 pts - 8 in the last min of regulation.

That wasn't CAMs fault - 28 pts should be enough to win most games but not with this D.

The entire city is happy but I just question the timing and the guy.

Glad Caldwell got promoted. What a great move
    coming in and working with Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    SPEC-U-LA-TION! clap-clap-clapclapclap
    This-this-thisthisthis