Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Congrats to Anquan!!

Boldin is one of my favorite Ravens. I liked him back when he was with Arizona. He just seems to give everything on every play. A trait you don't see that often in wide receivers.

Blog Entries

He was money in the first half yesterday. Keeps his mouth closed and plays hard. Congrats to Q!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Congrats Q! Well done. :)
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.

I know a lot of people have referred to Q as a disappointment as a Raven. I think that's unfair.

The odds are that he was never quite as good as his stats indicated in Arizona. The Cardinals were a warm-weather shootout type team and some of his best years were with Warner.

I think we all can agree that we are a better team with him in the fold than without him. I guess it's just a matter of dissecting his value in relation to his cap figure.

Obviously, a restructure makes the most sense from a Raven standpoint. No need to dissect that. If Q is agreeable, it's gonna get done.

I'd argue that, even if the restructure doesn't happen, we need to keep him. I know that's a tough decision to make considering (and Ravor correct me if I'm wrong) that only $1.5 million of his $7.5 million salary counts against the 2013 cap. Cutting him saves us $6 million.

Here's why:

1- Torrey Smith may not ever be a true 1-A type wide receiver. I think he might be a 1-b type of wide out. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but what do we do on days like yesterday---or the game in Pittsburgh--- where Torrey has no impact on the game. Torrey isn't going to be a Brandon Marshall or Andre/Calvin Johnson. He has the big play potential of anyone out there, but he lacks consistency. Boldin offers a little less explosiveness (although 14.3 Y/catch is nothing to sneeze at), but quite a bit more consistency. Quan is no longer a 1-A type, but I think he's still a 1-B and is a great match for what Torrey can do.

2- If we cut Boldin, we are going to have to sign a veteran receiver to replace him. No way we go into next year with Smith, Jones, Doss, and Deonte/Laquan/Reed/Streeter as our top four guys. There are no possession receivers there aside from Doss, who is still a bit unproven. That type of Lance Moore, Robert Meachem, Malcolm Floyd tier 2-A wide receiver (keep in mind Quan is a 1-b)we would bring in at a less cost than Boldin is still going to cost us $3-4 million per year. I'd rather just pay Quan the $6 million and get a player that we already knows meshes well with Joe. No offense to those guys above, but they aren't at Quan's level in any way. So cutting Boldin really wouldn't save us $6 million when you factor the cost of replacement.

3- Boldin has saved our bacon so many times it's not funny. The guy, when he gets in a rhythm with Joe is unstoppable. How many times does he get hot and just take over a game. I remember the Cleveland game in 2010. I remember the last drive of that game in Pittsburgh last year (did have one drop, but made 4 other catches on that legendary drive). I remember the Arizona game last year where our 21 point deficit was erased mainly by him getting ridiculously hot against Patrick Peterson, torching him for 4-5 catches and 2 more big pass interference penalties in a span of a quarter. This year, he's had small spurts where he just dominates the game. If we want that type of player, we have to pay for him. IMO, he's worth every penny of the $6 million we'd have to pay him. I know you have to make tough decisions to keep a roster fresh, but I think a lot of our offensive toughness comes through him. What he brings is more than just what his numbers quantify.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I know a lot of people have referred to Q as a disappointment as a Raven. I think that's unfair.

The odds are that he was never quite as good as his stats indicated in Arizona. The Cardinals were a warm-weather shootout type team and some of his best years were with Warner.

I think we all can agree that we are a better team with him in the fold than without him. I guess it's just a matter of dissecting his value in relation to his cap figure.

Obviously, a restructure makes the most sense from a Raven standpoint. No need to dissect that. If Q is agreeable, it's gonna get done.

I'd argue that, even if the restructure doesn't happen, we need to keep him. I know that's a tough decision to make considering (and Ravor correct me if I'm wrong) that only $1.5 million of his $7.5 million salary counts against the 2013 cap. Cutting him saves us $6 million.

Here's why:

1- Torrey Smith may not ever be a true 1-A type wide receiver. I think he might be a 1-b type of wide out. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but what do we do on days like yesterday---or the game in Pittsburgh--- where Torrey has no impact on the game. Torrey isn't going to be a Brandon Marshall or Andre/Calvin Johnson. He has the big play potential of anyone out there, but he lacks consistency. Boldin offers a little less explosiveness (although 14.3 Y/catch is nothing to sneeze at), but quite a bit more consistency. Quan is no longer a 1-A type, but I think he's still a 1-B and is a great match for what Torrey can do.

2- If we cut Boldin, we are going to have to sign a veteran receiver to replace him. No way we go into next year with Smith, Jones, Doss, and Deonte/Laquan/Reed/Streeter as our top four guys. There are no possession receivers there aside from Doss, who is still a bit unproven. That type of Lance Moore, Robert Meachem, Malcolm Floyd tier 2-A wide receiver (keep in mind Quan is a 1-b)we would bring in at a less cost than Boldin is still going to cost us $3-4 million per year. I'd rather just pay Quan the $6 million and get a player that we already knows meshes well with Joe. No offense to those guys above, but they aren't at Quan's level in any way. So cutting Boldin really wouldn't save us $6 million when you factor the cost of replacement.

3- Boldin has saved our bacon so many times it's not funny. The guy, when he gets in a rhythm with Joe is unstoppable. How many times does he get hot and just take over a game. I remember the Cleveland game in 2010. I remember the last drive of that game in Pittsburgh last year (did have one drop, but made 4 other catches on that legendary drive). I remember the Arizona game last year where our 21 point deficit was erased mainly by him getting ridiculously hot against Patrick Peterson, torching him for 4-5 catches and 2 more big pass interference penalties in a span of a quarter. This year, he's had small spurts where he just dominates the game. If we want that type of player, we have to pay for him. IMO, he's worth every penny of the $6 million we'd have to pay him. I know you have to make tough decisions to keep a roster fresh, but I think a lot of our offensive toughness comes through him. What he brings is more than just what his numbers quantify.
    Well thought out. I actually agree with keeping Q with that reasoning. Not that I was really in favour of getting rid of him.
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.

6. Re: Congrats to Anquan!!

I hope Q stays too.

He plays like a Raven.

And now with Cam (FINALLY! YES!!) gone, maybe he'll be given a real chance to play like Q should once again.