Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Ravens are 99+% certain of going to the playoffs

With Cincy & Pitts both losing today, the Ravens are one very-low-probability scenario away from clinching a postseason berth.

Presume the Ravens lose the rest of their regular season games. They limp in at 9-7, 4-2 AFCN, 8-4 AFC, 8-6 in common games with PGH.

The only other team not leading its division with less than 6 losses is the Colts. Presume they get the first wild card at 10-6 or better.

There are 3 other AFC teams currently with 7 losses or less: NYJ, CIN, PGH.

BAL would get the 2nd WC over NYJ on the strength of AFC record, since there's no head-to-head & the Jests have 5 losses in the conference.

CIN plays PGH in Week 16. If PGH wins, CIN finishes 9-7 at best, 2-4 AFCN. If PGH finishes 10-6, it wins the AFCN outright; if PGH finishes at 9-7, then head-to-head results vs the other 2 teams gives PGH the AFCN (PGH 3-1, BAL 2-2, CIN 1-3), BAL eliminates CIN for the wild card based on overall head to head or on divisional record, then eliminates NYJ if necessary as above.

If CIN wins out (beats @PHA, @PGH & then BAL) it wins the AFCN at 10-6. Then PGH finishes 9-7 at best, 4-2 AFCN, 8-6 in common games with BAL (both went 1-1 in uncommon games), 5-7 AFC, and BAL eliminates PGH based on better conference record & eliminates NYJ if necessary as above.

If CIN loses @PHA but then wins out to finish 9-7, then BAL wins the AFCN if PGH loses again (@DAL or CLE) based on better division record (4-2 vs 3-3). If PGH also finishes 9-7, then head-to-head is a wash in the 3-way trainwreck (all teams at 2-2) and BAL again wins the AFCN, this time on better division record (4-2 vs 3-3 for the others).

In fact there is precisely one way in which the Ravens can now be eliminated from the postseason:
    1. IND finishes no worse than 10-6;
    2. CIN & PGH both win in Week 15 and Week 17; and
    3. CIN@PGH (Week 16) ends in a tie.

In this case both CIN & PGH finish 9-6-1, one wins the AFCN & the other gets the second WC.

So on the first weekend in January it is almost certain that the Ravens will host the Colts as the #4 seed, or travel to Denver or Foxboro as the #6 seed.

Whether you consider that a good or bad thing after the last 2 weeks probably depends on your capacity for generating irrational optimism &/or absorbing bitter heartbreak...

Re: The Ravens are 99+% certain of going to the playoffs

A very sad commentary for a team that could have been so much more.

So in the worst case scenario we are talking about the Colts reaming the Ravens a new "a..hole" on National TV. A very fitting end to Cam Cameron's career in Baltimore. In this canse they can use the excuse "we were only one good offensive coordinator away from the Superbowl"

Well I certainly hope the Ravens get in but the way we are playing right now I just don't think they're good enough to be among the league's best. If they were to lose out and still get in they would just be keeping a better team out, which would be a shame.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

4. Re: The Ravens are 99+% certain of going to the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    In fact there is precisely one way in which the Ravens can now be eliminated from the postseason:
    1. IND finishes no worse than 10-6;
    2. CIN & PGH both win in Week 15 and Week 17; and
    3. CIN@PGH (Week 16) ends in a tie.

In this case both CIN & PGH finish 9-6-1, one wins the AFCN & the other gets the second WC.
    If this happens I will laugh.

Out loud.

For a few minutes.

LIKE A MANIACAL VILLAIN

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha...ha

and also a 99.99% chance of being elimated in the playoffs as well. I hope it doesnt sell out a home game WC game, to show a statement. I wouldnt be shelling out $360 dollars this year. This team isnt worth my money. The ONLY reason, I might consider going is that it could be Ray's last game, that is THE ONLY REASON. Getting rid of my PSL's section 152 because I think they will go down in value. I go to half the games and my kids the other half. 2 seats section 152. Hit me up for offer, going rate is 30-35K for both seats.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    If this happens I will laugh.

Out loud.

For a few minutes.

LIKE A MANIACAL VILLAIN

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha...ha
    Certainly more possible with the new OT rules. Luckily that matchup isn't a week 17 matchup, because then people would start having conspiracy theories about them colluding to tie to screw us. ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    and also a 99.99% chance of being elimated in the playoffs as well. I hope it doesnt sell out a home game WC game, to show a statement. I wouldnt be shelling out $360 dollars this year. This team isnt worth my money. The ONLY reason, I might consider going is that it could be Ray's last game, that is THE ONLY REASON. Getting rid of my PSL's section 152 because I think they will go down in value. I go to half the games and my kids the other half. 2 seats section 152. Hit me up for offer, going rate is 30-35K for both seats.
    Do you want to sell your tickets for Sunday? Seriously I'll buy them.

The only saving grace is that we should have some guys healthy by the WC weekend and for some oddball reason the Harbaugh Ravens play great in week 1 of the playoffs. (4-0, I believe)

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    A very sad commentary for a team that could have been so much more.
    This is the one thing you have ever said that I agree with whole-heartedly.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

You are a terrible, terrible fan and should really stop watching organized sports because it's evident that they're not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    You are a terrible, terrible fan and should really stop watching organized sports because it's evident that they're not for you.
    Really a terrible fan who hasnt missed seeing a regular or posteason Baltimore Colt/Raven game since the opener in 1978? Dude, the NFL is a farce. I expect a penalty on just about every play or late BS hit, that isnt. I can't even sit through a non Raven NFL game. Barely can sit through a Raven game nowadays, not just because they are a dumb team, but because the NFL is a shadow of itself. I am buying Oriole season tickets. because that sport is making the right moves and the Orioles are going in the RIGHT direction under DD and Buck and have lot of good young talent that is maturing. I'd rather spend on that than the NFL product.

Blog Entries

Really a terrible fan who hasnt missed seeing a regular or posteason Baltimore Colt/Raven game since the opener in 1978? Dude, the NFL is a farce. I expect a penalty on just about every play or late BS hit, that isnt. I can't even sit through a non Raven NFL game. Barely can sit through a Raven game nowadays, not just because they are a dumb team, but because the NFL is a shadow of itself. I am buying Oriole season tickets. because that sport is making the right moves and the Orioles are going in the RIGHT direction under DD and Buck and have lot of good young talent that is maturing. I'd rather spend on that than the NFL product.
    I agree with you on how the NFL in general is going. It seems like it will be flag football eventually.