Page 144 of 333 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194244 ... LastLast
Results 1,717 to 1,728 of 3987
  1. #1717
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,214
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread



    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Agree re Ertz and Eifert. If we got them, they'd complement Pitta very well, and if we do eliminate Leach's position (which I'd hate to see, but it's not looking like anything else will happen) then I think they'd be great adds.

    Something tells me though that they'll try and go cheap at TE again and go for more of an impact player, either on D or the O Line,which are bigger priorities by far, with the first 2 picks.

    They'll do their deep research and try to project a guy as being a "poor man's" Gronk/Ertz/Eifert and see how it goes. They hit big on Pitta as a 4th rounder, not so much on Dickson as a 3rd. Obviously Heap was the one big exception at the position - a great player and a first rounder.

    Other than that, if Wikipedia's page about the Ravens draft history is correct, they've never taken a TE above the 5th round.

    So I think even if Ertz or Eifert is there when we pick in the first, I don't think the team will value either one of them above a similarly graded player at a position of more pressing need.
    I'm not so sure...at least with Eiffert. That guy is going to be a very good NFL player.

    Ertz is a good receiver, but needs a little refinement as a blocker. Still though, he's got excellent size and athleticism to go along with a 6'5"/6'6" frame.

    I like Eiffert a lot. If he is there at pick 32 and the Ravens don't take him, I'd be surprised. He could really give Flacco and the offense a wrinkle that no one else could.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #1718
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,554
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm not so sure...at least with Eiffert. That guy is going to be a very good NFL player.

    Ertz is a good receiver, but needs a little refinement as a blocker. Still though, he's got excellent size and athleticism to go along with a 6'5"/6'6" frame.

    I like Eiffert a lot. If he is there at pick 32 and the Ravens don't take him, I'd be surprised. He could really give Flacco and the offense a wrinkle that no one else could.
    Definitely think it's possible. And I agree that I'd rather take Eifert given the choice, if he and Ertz are both available.

    I'm just going by the likely scenarios with cap/FA/extensions, and who's likely to still be on the team, and which positions are best suited to a starter on a cheap 4 year deal, and right now I'm seeing safety, pass rush (OLB/DE), tackle, and even DT if the right guy is there, as the more likely priorities, but obviously a lot will change after guys rise and fall at the Combine, and after free agency shakes out. I could see them just sticking with Dickson one more year to avoid any kind of dead money with him, and getting another "Bajema" (if not Bajema himself) to fill out the roster with for another year.

    Not much right now as far as promising TE's for 2014 that I can see right now (all the good ones came out for this draft) so that could weigh on the Ravens decision as well, and make an early TE selection more likely.
    No one likes us, and we don't care.




  3. #1719

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Well, we all know the Ravens will go BPA, that's not going to change. They certainly won't force a TE. But last year, I really don't think anybody saw them actually trading up for Bernard Pierce in the 3rd, not when we already had Ray Rice on the roster and had no intention of letting him go. This is a team that WILL go out and get a guy they think is a possible game-breaker even if they don't have an obvious need at the position. It ALWAYS... ALWAYS pays off.

    I would not classify TE as a "top need." IMO those positions are FS, LT, ILB, and NT, probably in that order. The Ravens will find a way to address those needs, but they won't blow up their big board to do it. I don't really think the 1st round pick will be a TE, and again I don't think they'll force the pick in the later rounds, but would not be shocked at all to see them get a TE if a game-breaker drops in any given round.




  4. #1720
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,214
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well, we all know the Ravens will go BPA, that's not going to change. They certainly won't force a TE. But last year, I really don't think anybody saw them actually trading up for Bernard Pierce in the 3rd, not when we already had Ray Rice on the roster and had no intention of letting him go. This is a team that WILL go out and get a guy they think is a possible game-breaker even if they don't have an obvious need at the position. It ALWAYS... ALWAYS pays off.

    I would not classify TE as a "top need." IMO those positions are FS, LT, ILB, and NT, probably in that order. The Ravens will find a way to address those needs, but they won't blow up their big board to do it. I don't really think the 1st round pick will be a TE, and again I don't think they'll force the pick in the later rounds, but would not be shocked at all to see them get a TE if a game-breaker drops in any given round.
    I agree, but this draft has some really talented and explosive TE's...so it would be a good draft to take a receiving TE. However, I don't think they should force the issue.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #1721
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,214
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    The Jets continue to be a circus...

    They're looking at Jamarcus Russell.

    I wonder who would be worse...Russell? Or, Sanchez?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #1722

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Im not sure if it was said but i saw on the scroll that MIA doesnt think itll be able to retain Jake Long as hes seeking 10mil/year. Also theyre not going to try and retain Reggie Bush.

    Long could be a long term answer but thats a pretty hefty price. Granted his current deal averaged 11.5, but im not sure where hes at as in if hes peaked and on the downward side. Not much possibility with our cap situation, but sounds like hes going to be one of those very rare top LT to make it to the open market.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The Jets continue to be a circus...

    They're looking at Jamarcus Russell.

    I wonder who would be worse...Russell? Or, Sanchez?
    based on raw talent its got to be Sanchez. Nether can read a defense but at least JaMarcus can throw every throw right?

    Thank God were not the Jets.
    -JAB




  7. #1723
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,214
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    I'd love to see Jake Long in a Ravens' uniform.

    I just don't think it'll happen though. Teams are going to be all over him.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  8. #1724
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,554
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    For that price, those teams can have Jake Long all they want. It just means there are plenty of teams still out there who don't understand the concept of "right player, right price." And as long as that is so, the Ravens will continue to maintain a competitive edge.

    How many wins do you add for that $10 million?
    No one likes us, and we don't care.




  9. #1725

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Is he top 5 LT in the game because thats basically all hes asking for. 10 is actually a discount from what hes making now (i believe his 11.5 is the highest average salary right now, followed by Thomas and then Williams and Okung). I dont think a team willing to spend that doesnt understand it, they just may have different values for the position.

    I agree we can get better value through 2nd tier and the draft which is what i think well do. Either the coaching staff does believe in McKinnie and hell be back (as I believe him to be great value) or well draft a decently high prospect, or maybe both.
    -JAB




  10. #1726
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,214
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    For that price, those teams can have Jake Long all they want. It just means there are plenty of teams still out there who don't understand the concept of "right player, right price." And as long as that is so, the Ravens will continue to maintain a competitive edge.

    How many wins do you add for that $10 million?
    It depends on how you look at it.

    Would the Ravens have gotten to the SB had they not switch the OL up and gotten better pass protection?

    Sure, it is possible...but I'm not confident that they would have.

    A strong OL cannot be understated. Look at how it impacted the Saints and Packers this season. Those two offenses are nothing short of prolific, but they couldn't run block or pass block. It cost them.

    I'm not for paying Jake Long $10 mill a year, but I am interested in bringing a player like that on board. I don't think he is going to get close to $10 mill anyway. Maybe 7 or 8.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  11. #1727
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,918
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It depends on how you look at it.

    Would the Ravens have gotten to the SB had they not switch the OL up and gotten better pass protection?

    Sure, it is possible...but I'm not confident that they would have.

    A strong OL cannot be understated. Look at how it impacted the Saints and Packers this season. Those two offenses are nothing short of prolific, but they couldn't run block or pass block. It cost them.

    I'm not for paying Jake Long $10 mill a year, but I am interested in bringing a player like that on board. I don't think he is going to get close to $10 mill anyway. Maybe 7 or 8.
    I'm hoping we can get McKinnie back on a reasonable deal. Then, we can get a LT prospect in the draft that could potentially start the following season.




  12. #1728

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Long was considered the top tackle in the NFL at one point, but his play has slipped as he's been plagued with injuries. He's no longer an elite run-blocker. Cleveland Browns tackle Joe Thomas is the highest-paid tackle in the league with an eight-year, $92 million deal signed before the 2011 season.

    The 27-year-old Long, who has been selected to the Pro Bowl four times in five years, is a strong locker-room leader. Some team will gamble that he can stay healthy and return to form. The Dolphins, who have insurance with Jonathan Martin, are prepared to see what the market dictates rather than negotiating against themselves.
    I think youre right Wicked because of the injuries hes had and his level of play dropping i could see him getting a lower deal 8-9, but hes still arguably top 5 and definitely top 10 imo. Clady remains the real prize of Free Agency in my opinion but i have no idea what his value is compared to Long. Whichever one ends up being cheaper will likely be the better value. I cant see the Broncos letting him go, which means Longs price will probably sky rocket once available despite those concerns and partially due to his leadership. So really Id assume him to sign a lower deal, but i wont be surprised at all if he signed a market deal equal to those others.
    -JAB




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland