Page 98 of 266 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 3987
  1. #1456
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread



    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    From what I've read and seen so far...

    - Eric Fisher is borderline top 10...silly of me/us to think we had a shot at him
    - Ziggy Ansah is a good looking athlete, but not a 1st rounder IMO
    - Neither is Margus Hunt a 1st rounder IMO
    - Lane Johnson, Montori Hughes and Brian Winters are making money. I'd be happy with any of them
    - Quinton Patton is even a bit better than I thought
    - Kenjon Barner is a guy that someone might trade-up to #32 to get (haha...had Stepfan Taylor in there originally, as my Stanford-grad office buddy had just walked away gushing over him)
    I actually think Taylor is the most complete back in this entire class. Even more than Lacy, although Lacy has a much much higher ceiling IMO.

    I don't see Barner being a 1st rounder, or even a high 2nd. He's elusive as hell and he's got the wheels, but he's small (190lbs) and in the NFL he is probably better suited as a change-of-pace back.

    I can't see Barner going before the top of the 3rd round.

    I still think Eddie Lacy is going to be the top back taken.

    And someone is going to take Margus Hunt in round 1. You know that someone won't be able to resist his athleticism, size, and strength.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #1457

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Any Chance Lane Johnson lasts until 32?

    LT is basically the top 3 needs for this team, IMO. Our other needs can be "adequately" filled with MIddle round picks. I strongly prefer the first two rounds worth of picks to be used on QB, LT, WR, CB and maybe RB. Since we are "fairly" stocked at all of those positions sans LT, that makes me feel like we NEED TO get out of the 2nd round with a LT hopeful. I was hoping FIsher was the guy, but looks like that's out of reach. From what I've seen and read, Johnson is now my top target. What is his expected value?




  3. #1458

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Any Chance Lane Johnson lasts until 32?

    LT is basically the top 3 needs for this team, IMO. Our other needs can be "adequately" filled with MIddle round picks. I strongly prefer the first two rounds worth of picks to be used on QB, LT, WR, CB and maybe RB. Since we are "fairly" stocked at all of those positions sans LT, that makes me feel like we NEED TO get out of the 2nd round with a LT hopeful. I was hoping FIsher was the guy, but looks like that's out of reach. From what I've seen and read, Johnson is now my top target. What is his expected value?
    No offense but no way in hell.

    Lane Johnson has pretty much cemented his place as the 3rd LT and with the way OT's are overvalued, will likely be a top 15 pick...top 20 at the latest.

    Frankly, at 32, there won't be a LT worth taking at that spot unfortunately IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  4. #1459

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No offense but no way in hell.

    Lane Johnson has pretty much cemented his place as the 3rd LT and with the way OT's are overvalued, will likely be a top 15 pick...top 20 at the latest.

    Frankly, at 32, there won't be a LT worth taking at that spot unfortunately IMHO.
    NO offense taken, I'm not that plugged-in. I guess that's obvious.

    Considering all of our comp picks, I'd certainly get on the phone if he makes it past the mid teens... The early 20's may be reachable without using a future first round pick.




  5. #1460

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

    And someone is going to take Margus Hunt in round 1. You know that someone won't be able to resist his athleticism, size, and strength.
    I was a big Hunt fan a couple weeks ago in the first, but not anymore. I think in time he will be a good player, but he is so raw and over-aged that it would be tough for me to take him that high.

    I agree that someone may take him, but I think he would be a guy who you can't count on contributing for 2 years...and by then he will already be 28 or 29.

    I'm all on the Elam bandwagon int he first now.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  6. #1461
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I was a big Hunt fan a couple weeks ago in the first, but not anymore. I think in time he will be a good player, but he is so raw and over-aged that it would be tough for me to take him that high.

    I agree that someone may take him, but I think he would be a guy who you can't count on contributing for 2 years...and by then he will already be 28 or 29.

    I'm all on the Elam bandwagon int he first now.
    Elam would be a great pick if he lasts until 32.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #1462

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Elam would be a great pick if he lasts until 32.
    As weird as it sounds, Elam's availability may hinge entirely on whether or not the Ravens win the SB. If they're picking at 32 I don't have a lot of faith Elam would fall past the 49ers. They're probably going to let Goldson walk so they have a huge need at FS, and Elam fits their system and style of play PERFECTLY. That is, if he even falls past the late 20's.

    At this point, the odds of the Ravens trading back from 31 or 32 have gone up a lot, IMO. There will be some team that covets a QB and hopes to take him at the top of round 2, but fears another team jumping them, necessitating a move back into the 1st. If Elam isn't there and the remaining prospects on the big board have 2nd round grades, if they can find a partner I don't see the Ravens losing much by jumping back into the top of the 2nd.

    The Ravens could make a lot happen in the 2nd round. They have plenty of picks already and trading out of the 1st could land them even more. If I were Ozzie, I would have a contingency plan on the table that involves getting maybe as many as 3 2nd round picks... where a lot of the talent of the draft is. They could easily end up with Phillip Thomas (my #3 safety in the class), Khaseem Greene, and Da'Rick Rogers all in the 2nd... and focus on depth/small school sleepers in the rest of the draft, probably hoping to find a legit LT prospect out of a mid-round type of guy.




  8. #1463

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I was a big Hunt fan a couple weeks ago in the first, but not anymore. I think in time he will be a good player, but he is so raw and over-aged that it would be tough for me to take him that high.

    I agree that someone may take him, but I think he would be a guy who you can't count on contributing for 2 years...and by then he will already be 28 or 29.

    I'm all on the Elam bandwagon int he first now.
    Doesnt it seem more likely by the day that even though it's only January 1. Elam will get to 32 2. Will be BPA




  9. #1464
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    As weird as it sounds, Elam's availability may hinge entirely on whether or not the Ravens win the SB. If they're picking at 32 I don't have a lot of faith Elam would fall past the 49ers. They're probably going to let Goldson walk so they have a huge need at FS, and Elam fits their system and style of play PERFECTLY. That is, if he even falls past the late 20's.

    At this point, the odds of the Ravens trading back from 31 or 32 have gone up a lot, IMO. There will be some team that covets a QB and hopes to take him at the top of round 2, but fears another team jumping them, necessitating a move back into the 1st. If Elam isn't there and the remaining prospects on the big board have 2nd round grades, if they can find a partner I don't see the Ravens losing much by jumping back into the top of the 2nd.

    The Ravens could make a lot happen in the 2nd round. They have plenty of picks already and trading out of the 1st could land them even more. If I were Ozzie, I would have a contingency plan on the table that involves getting maybe as many as 3 2nd round picks... where a lot of the talent of the draft is. They could easily end up with Phillip Thomas (my #3 safety in the class), Khaseem Greene, and Da'Rick Rogers all in the 2nd... and focus on depth/small school sleepers in the rest of the draft, probably hoping to find a legit LT prospect out of a mid-round type of guy.
    Very true, but how many of us saw the Niners taking AJ Jenkins in the 1st round last year?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #1465

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Very true, but how many of us saw the Niners taking AJ Jenkins in the 1st round last year?
    True. There are always numerous shocker picks in the 1st round that make this whole business a giant crapshoot.

    I'll tell you what, I really did not like AJ Jenkins as a prospect and I made my feelings known. I felt pretty stupid when the 49ers made him a 1st round pick thinking they had seen something I did not. But he came into camp out of shape and lost, was a healthy scratch I believe the entire regular season, and is now behind Chad Hall on the depth chart (5'8 UDFA from Air Force signed by the 49ers just a week or two ago).

    I don't feel as stupid anymore. Pretty sure that was the worst pick of the 1st, even worse than Bruce Irvin.




  11. #1466
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    There is nobody in this draft I'd trade up for apart from Star Louteilei or Johnathan Hankins. I think Matt Elam or Barrett Jones are just about the safest picks for us. I'd probably take Eric Reid in the 2nd round if I was considering to trade back.




  12. #1467
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,136
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    At 31 or 32, it costs a whole lot to move up to the mid rounds. They'd be better served moving to the early second and collecting what they can.

    Out of Barrett Jones, Manti Te'o, Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam, Barrett Jones, Margus Hunt, Eiffert, Ertz, Minter... someone's due to fall low. Just like Upshaw fell to us, just like Jimmy Smith fell to us, just like Torrey and Ray Rice did as well. The great thing about having a balanced team is that you can always just take the best player available without having to worry too much about positional needs. So that's why we can grab so much first round talent in later rounds.


    reference: http://www.mynfldraft.com/points.php




  13. #1468

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Man, I was hoping Marquise Goodwin would be a good option for us in the 5th round or so...but from the reports down there, he likely is moving up a round or 2.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  14. #1469
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    606

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Flynn isn't a FA. He's under contract in Seattle. They might cut him, but they don't necessarily have to.

    Other FA QB's...

    Matt Moore
    Jason Campbell
    Rex Grossman
    Byron Leftwich
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Matt Leinart
    Chase Daniels
    Bruce Gradkowski


    Slim pickings...
    True, but the Ravens could use a backup QB. I'm not sold on Taylor being a good enough alternative!




  15. #1470
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    We could always look at signing Matt Moore as back up QB, depending on the price.




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland