Page 58 of 266 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
Results 856 to 870 of 3987
  1. #856

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread



    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Okay, I'll admit that I know nothing about this guy. Is he a 5th/6th round type or is he someone we'd have to commit one of those earlier picsk to get?
    He's a 5th or 6th rounder. I'm not particularly familiar with him as a prospect either as I've not watched any Nevada tape. I don't know him to have a reputation as a blocker based on what I read, but he's well thought of as a prospect.

    As more of a pure blocking tight end in the 5th-6th range I like Michael Williams out of Alabama. He's an excellent prospect who blocks well and has been used at fullback to good effect this year. If we cut Leach we could use him as the primary blocker out of 2TE sets.




  2. #857
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    606

    Cool Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Okay, I'll admit that I know nothing about this guy. Is he a 5th/6th round type or is he someone we'd have to commit one of those earlier picsk to get?
    I don't know anything about this guy either. All I know is that the Ravens need a good (and big) blocking TE since Pitta isn't really a blocker. If the guy could also be a red zone target, even better.

    Maybe "Wicked" knows something about him!




  3. #858
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Depends what you, sorry, the ravens where expecting when they drafted him.
    I don't think the Ravens were expecting an All-Pro considering they took him with the 23rd pick and he was the 4th tackle taken in the draft. Typically when you draft at spot #23, you are drafting a player who you expect to be a solid starter with the hope of being a Pro Bowl caliber type player. Oher has fulfilled the main requirement of his slot, having started 70 out of 70 career games. He clearly is not going to reach the "hope" half of that draft slot by turning into an All Pro, but that doesn't make him a bust.

    He might only be an average to below-average starting LT, but that doesn't make him a bust. LT is typically where you put your most talented O-lineman, so being #20 out of 32 starting LTs doesn't make you a bad football player.

    To me a bust is a player who either:

    a) is clearly not good enough to play at a level representative of his draft position (Oher being a fixture in the starting lineup on some very good teams since his very first game shows he's good enough)

    b) can't stay healthy enough to help his team (never missed a game)

    c) can't stay out of off-the-field trouble consistently enough to help his team (zero character issues here)

    If you want to know what a bust OT looks like....look at the 3 OTs drafted ahead of him.

    Jason Smith was the #2 overall pick that year and he couldn't stay healthy during his first three seasons with the Rams(missed 22 of his first 48 games). Prior to his injury issues, he lost his starting LT job to a rookie. The Rams thought so highly of him that they traded him to the Jets after just three years for a journeyman O-lineman. Again, this was the #2 overall pick.

    Andre Smith was taken 17 picks higher than Oher at #6. He was so bad and had such a poor work ethic (and had such big man boobs...sorry couldn't help myself) that he only started 5 games over his first two seasons and was utterly horrible. Over the past two seasons, he's improved and has been the starter at RT, but is still nothing special there. He's not as good of a RT as Oher is and nowhere near as good a LT as Oher is. He has the luxury, though, of not needing to be good enough to play LT because the Bengals have one of the games best LTs in Whitworth. Oher> than Andre Smith and it's not really close. The Ravens have got far more value out of Oher than the Bengals from Smith.

    Eugene Monroe was drafted 8th, 15 spots higher than Oher. He's not been nearly the bust of Smith or Smith, but he is a ho-hum, nothing special LT right now. He has stayed largely healthy and is emerging as a okay LT, but when you draft a OT at #8, you expect more than that. He is pretty much Oher's equal right now as a LT, but when you consider that Oher has played RT for half his NFL career and was drafted far lower than Monroe, he's nowhere near the same level of bust.

    Sergio Kindle is a bust.
    DeRon Jenkins was a bust.
    Kyle Boller was a bust.
    Dan Cody was a bust.
    Terrance Cody is approaching bust status.

    Michael Oher is not a bust and I don't think he's even close to one. He might never be the All Pro we hope he would be when we drafted him, but he's been durable and versatile and has played as hard as he can from whistle to whistle every down no matter where we've put him.
    Last edited by LukeDaniel; 01-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.




  4. #859
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I don't think the Ravens were expecting an All-Pro considering they took him with the 23rd pick and he was the 4th tackle taken in the draft. Typically when you draft at spot #23, you are drafting a player who you expect to be a solid starter with the hope of being a Pro Bowl caliber type player. Oher has fulfilled the main requirement of his slot, having started 70 out of 70 career games. He clearly is not going to reach the "hope" half of that draft slot by turning into an All Pro, but that doesn't make him a bust.

    He might only be an average to below-average starting LT, but that doesn't make him a bust. LT is typically where you put your most talented O-lineman, so being #20 out of 32 starting LTs doesn't make you a bad football player.

    To me a bust is a player who either:

    a) is clearly not good enough to play at a level representative of his draft position (Oher being a fixture in the starting lineup on some very good teams since his very first game shows he's good enough)

    b) can't stay healthy enough to help his team (never missed a game)

    c) can't stay out of off-the-field trouble consistently enough to help his team (zero character issues here)

    If you want to know what a bust OT looks like....look at the 3 OTs drafted ahead of him.

    Jason Smith was the #2 overall pick that year and he couldn't stay healthy during his first three seasons with the Rams(missed 22 of his first 48 games). Prior to his injury issues, he lost his starting LT job to a rookie. The Rams thought so highly of him that they traded him to the Jets after just three years for a journeyman O-lineman. Again, this was the #2 overall pick.

    Andre Smith was taken 17 picks higher than Oher at #6. He was so bad and had such a poor work ethic (and had such big man boobs...sorry couldn't help myself) that he only started 5 games over his first two seasons and was utterly horrible. Over the past two seasons, he's improved and has been the starter at RT, but is still nothing special there. He's not as good of a RT as Oher is and nowhere near as good a LT as Oher is. He has the luxury, though, of not needing to be good enough to play LT because the Bengals have one of the games best LTs in Whitworth. Oher> than Andre Smith and it's not really close. The Ravens have got far more value out of Oher than the Bengals from Smith.

    Eugene Monroe was drafted 8th, 15 spots higher than Oher. He's not been nearly the bust of Smith or Smith, but he is a ho-hum, nothing special LT right now. He has stayed largely healthy and is emerging as a okay LT, but when you draft a OT at #8, you expect more than that. He is pretty much Oher's equal right now as a LT, but when you consider that Oher has played RT for half his NFL career and was drafted far lower than Monroe, he's nowhere near the same level of bust.

    Sergio Kindle is a bust.
    DeRon Jenkins was a bust.
    Kyle Boller was a bust.
    Dan Cody was a bust.
    Terrance Cody is approaching bust status.

    Michael Oher is not a bust and I don't think he's even close to one. He might never be the All Pro we hope he would be when we drafted him, but he's been durable and versatile and has played as hard as he can from whistle to whistle every down no matter where we've put him.
    but if they drafted him thinking he will be the next jo, wouldn't you consider that a bust?

    For me personally, I don't think he is. But if manti teo fell to us and we drafted him, I'd be expecting him to be on the level if not exceeding the play of someone like bowman, or Washington eventually obviously.

    Say of we only get I dunno, dem Ryan's type play, I'd consider it a bust, merely because of the expectation, but at the same time, I'd be satisfied with his performance.

    That's where I'm at with oher, I expected a lot more, but I'm satisfied with what we hand, not a bust per say, but not quite how I thought he would turn out either.




  5. #860

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I don't know anything about this guy either. All I know is that the Ravens need a good (and big) blocking TE since Pitta isn't really a blocker. If the guy could also be a red zone target, even better.

    Maybe "Wicked" knows something about him!
    Zach Sudfeld is a clear RZ target at about 6'6 255 (IIRC).
    He looks like everybit the athlete that Eifert and Ertz are.
    He blocks however the play is designed...in-line, back side seal, crack back, 2nd level and even counters.
    Tough as hell, judging by all of the injuries that he has recovered from, which is also obviously a concern.

    There are brief highlights within the interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOPJrJkh1w
    I can't find the game film that I watched about 3 weeks back.

    After scoring two early TDs on go routes, most of what he did vs. Arizona (bowl game) was block, and he did that well. Coach Ault like to spread the ball around, but I have no idea why he didn't just stuff Sudfeld down Arizona's DBs' throats all day long.

    If Ertz, Florida's Reed, and SDSU's Escobar stay in school then Sudfeld might go 32-48 picks early. Nevermind how he was used this season, I think his performance value is enormous. If I could become confident that he's not injury prone then I would consider bottom 3rd/top 4th for him. I'm a bit surprised that he has stayed below the radar. Non Pac 12 west coast bias maybe lol.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 01-03-2013 at 09:29 PM.




  6. #861

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Adam Caplan is on twitter saying the Ravens have signed WR Tori Gurley to a reserve future contract




  7. #862

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I like your draft scenario except that instead of Minter or Brown, I'd pick Hodges instead! And I'd be sure to use one of the lower round picks on a large, tall, blocking TE that could be something of a red zone target. Otherwise, I think you really nailed it!
    I meant to add a blocking TE to that list as well, forgot all about it. Leach mentioned Michael Williams in the 5th, that would be perfect.




  8. #863
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    but if they drafted him thinking he will be the next jo, wouldn't you consider that a bust?

    For me personally, I don't think he is. But if manti teo fell to us and we drafted him, I'd be expecting him to be on the level if not exceeding the play of someone like bowman, or Washington eventually obviously.

    Say of we only get I dunno, dem Ryan's type play, I'd consider it a bust, merely because of the expectation, but at the same time, I'd be satisfied with his performance.

    That's where I'm at with oher, I expected a lot more, but I'm satisfied with what we hand, not a bust per say, but not quite how I thought he would turn out either.
    JO was drafted 4th overall.

    Big BIG difference between the 4th overall pick and the mid 20's.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #864
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,814
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Adam Caplan is on twitter saying the Ravens have signed WR Tori Gurley to a reserve future contract
    Interesting.

    He is a BIG dude. He was with the Packers for a while. He was kind of a WR/TE. I think he is 6'4" 235lbs or so.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #865
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    JO was drafted 4th overall.

    Big BIG difference between the 4th overall pick and the mid 20's.
    That's not what I mean. You have expectations of a player but not necessarily dependant on where they were drafted. For example warmack has been so dominate in college I'd expect a career similar to someone like faneca for example and yet who could go in the twenties. Whereas Luke j, I only expect him to have a career similar to Brandon Albert. A good but not great left tackle like a Joe Thomas, and he will probably go top 5.

    I base my expectations on play not draft position, and for oher while I wasn't expecting a great left tackle, if they front office was, regardless of where he was drafted, you'd say he's a bust.

    Me I seen a good right tackle, a very good one, and he's pretty much delivered on that expectation.

    I'm just saying one person may say someone is a bust based on their expectations whereas others would not.

    If someone thought Upshaw was going to be a suggs esque pass rusher theyll be disappointed. Whereas I was expecting and still am, very little in the pass rush department from him based on what I saw. So if all we get is a great run stopping end, I'm satisfied, whereas someone else may not be, bcause they expected more.

    Nothing to do with draft position. Purely gameplay




  11. #866

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    That's not what I mean. You have expectations of a player but not necessarily dependant on where they were drafted. For example warmack has been so dominate in college I'd expect a career similar to someone like faneca for example and yet who could go in the twenties. Whereas Luke j, I only expect him to have a career similar to Brandon Albert. A good but not great left tackle like a Joe Thomas, and he will probably go top 5.

    I base my expectations on play not draft position, and for oher while I wasn't expecting a great left tackle, if they front office was, regardless of where he was drafted, you'd say he's a bust.

    Me I seen a good right tackle, a very good one, and he's pretty much delivered on that expectation.

    I'm just saying one person may say someone is a bust based on their expectations whereas others would not.

    If someone thought Upshaw was going to be a suggs esque pass rusher theyll be disappointed. Whereas I was expecting and still am, very little in the pass rush department from him based on what I saw. So if all we get is a great run stopping end, I'm satisfied, whereas someone else may not be, bcause they expected more.

    Nothing to do with draft position. Purely gameplay
    So since you brought up JO, were you expecting the next JO for a gu y picked at 23 and was the 4th OT taken?

    Do you really think the FO was? Remember we had Gaither established at the time at LT.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  12. #867
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So since you brought up JO, were you expecting the next JO for a gu y picked at 23 and was the 4th OT taken?

    Do you really think the FO was? Remember we had Gaither established at the time at LT.
    I was just using that as an example to illustrate a point. I said in that post all I was expecting was a very good right tackle, and he's delivered on that pretty much. I think it was the fourth paragraph from the end.

    To better explain, if whoever drafts Luke in the top five thinks they are going to get a joe Thomas shutdown, one of the best left tackles in the league, they might be disappointed. But if there expectations is more Brandon Albert level, very good, makes a couple mistakes here and there, but won't need to much help, then I think that's exactly what they will get.

    So if you expected joe Thomas and got Albert, you could class him as a kind of bust.

    These are all examples I'm using here. I don't think oher is a bust, but I'm sure a lot do because they probably expected a great left tackle coming in, whereas I didn't, and he has pretty much delivered what I expected.

    This was all in reply to Someone saying oher is clearly not a bust after someone else said he was. The one that said hes a bust obviously thought we are getting a jake long, joe Thomas player here, whereas the one that said he wasn't a bust obviously thought from watching him at college etc this is exactly what we would get.

    That's how expectations based on performance can lead to one person saying he's a bust the other saying he's not.

    That's all I was saying, I didn't think it would turn into an essay lol




  13. #868
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    And I'm not sure what the front office was thinking. Me personally I wouldn't have taken a right tackle that high, which leads me to believe they maybe thought he could be a very good left tackle. I say this without wanting to getting into the Gaither oher argument.




  14. #869

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Given our unstable LT situation what about Justin Pughs from Syracuse. Looks like he's declaring for the draft.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-mill/page/2/




  15. #870

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So since you brought up JO, were you expecting the next JO for a gu y picked at 23 and was the 4th OT taken?

    Do you really think the FO was? Remember we had Gaither established at the time at LT.
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    And I'm not sure what the front office was thinking. Me personally I wouldn't have taken a right tackle that high, which leads me to believe they maybe thought he could be a very good left tackle. I say this without wanting to getting into the Gaither oher argument.
    Again, not wanting to re-hash the Gaither argument, but I don't think they drafted Oher ONLY to play RT. I think at a MINIMUM, they drafted him to play LT as a fallback option for Gaither, who only had proven himself for 1 year in 2008, had been somewhat injury prone, and (depending on how much you believe the rumors) had angered the team with his work ethic/etc. issues. Thus, I'm not sure the team would have called Jared the "established" LT. (Of course, some believe that the team hated Gaither so much that they planned to start Oher at LT no matter what, but I don't think the evidence is there for that.)

    I think the FO would have been happy to have the 2 OT spots locked down by either of them as long as Gaither straightened himself out, but they knew they needed somebody who wasn't a RT only and that's why they grabbed Oher so high. He could definitely play RT but they also saw him as a franchise LT. No matter what happened with Gaither the FO felt they had protected themselves for the best and worst case scenarios.

    Hindsight being what it is, we now know they were pretty much screwed with BOTH guys, but the 2009 draft was not a good time to get a tackle. They've all been underwhelming, some have been catastrophic busts. Eugene Monroe has probably been the best tackle overall, but he's not a great deal better than Oher and he's made to look a lot worse by the QB mess in Jacksonville. After that Oher, and then Andre Smith but he's only really been good for one season at this point, pretty good last season, and garbage his first 2.




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland