Page 91 of 333 FirstFirst ... 8990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,092 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Def. possible, both may have more upside. Te'o might have locked himself into predominate 3-4 teams. Still would take him in the first if he got to our pick. I still think he has more range then Mcclain and he is comfortable in coverage, just not an insane amount of upside to overcome his defensive line getting dominated like Alabama did last night.
    Oh, I still want him.

I think he and Ellerbe would be a pretty good combo...assuming we get the Ellerbe we got this year.

If Ellerbe leaves, I think we need to look to maybe double dip at ILB if we stay in a 3-4 or get a fast OLB if we go to a 4-3.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Could see him dropping. Honestly, I wouldnt be shocked if Minter or Ogletree went before Te'o.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    I have a feeling that he's going to put some crazy numbers up at the Combine which will keep him in the top 10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I am convinced that the team wants Oher as the longterm RT. Osemele at LG.

If you think that Jones is a can't miss prospect for the Center position, take him, so that Joe actually has a pocket to step up into, because he hasn't for the past two years.

Otherwise, find your LT, FOR THE LOVE!.... OF GOD!
    I think Oher finishes out his contract next year and is gone.

Gota what's your take on minter?

iggyman555 Guest

Blog Entries

Geno Smith apparently is planning to skip the Senior Bowl.

Personally, I think that is a mistake. I understood why Luck skipped it last year because he was likely to be the top pick, but I think Geno Smith could have really shown his stuff and made a lot of folks on the fence believers.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I think Te'o gets by on smarts and instincts more than athleticism. I don't think he'll have a great combine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I think Te'o gets by on smarts and instincts more than athleticism. I don't think he'll have a great combine.
    He doesn't need a great combine. Everyone knows that he'll test well and interview well. He'll probably do well in bench. The events most will be looking at with Te'o are the 3-cone, 40, and vertical jump/long jump.

Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if he runs the 40 in the high 4.6's (similar to Hightower). However, Te'o is also about 2" shorter (at least) and 15-20lbs smaller than Hightower. Ideally, if Te'o runs in the 4.5's then he will really bump his stock up.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Doesn't really matter about height when your an ILB. Ray Lewis is the greatest ever and is only 6'1, while London Flecther is only 5'10. I still think Te'o is better than both Kuechly and Hightower, I think he'll be gone well before we pick.

Alec Ogletree is not going in the first round, and I would not like him as our first round pick, Kevin Minter is better and may go late in the first round.

Geno Smith apparently is planning to skip the Senior Bowl.

Personally, I think that is a mistake. I understood why Luck skipped it last year because he was likely to be the top pick, but I think Geno Smith could have really shown his stuff and made a lot of folks on the fence believers.
    Terrible mistake. Geno could legitimately get overtaken for #1 QB in the class if another QB has an incredible Senior Bowl and Combine. He really needed to just put his nose to the grindstone, play the game, and show improvement.

I think he's scared of falling even more, frankly. He's just going to keep his mouth shut and hope and pray that people fall in love with his numbers instead of watching the tape of his late-season collapse. I'm actually growing to really dislike him as a prospect.

He doesn't need a great combine. Everyone knows that he'll test well and interview well. He'll probably do well in bench. The events most will be looking at with Te'o are the 3-cone, 40, and vertical jump/long jump.

Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if he runs the 40 in the high 4.6's (similar to Hightower). However, Te'o is also about 2" shorter (at least) and 15-20lbs smaller than Hightower. Ideally, if Te'o runs in the 4.5's then he will really bump his stock up.
    I really doubt Te'o is going to have a good Combine... he's not an athletic freak at all. I believe he's listed at 6'2 255... he might consider dropping 10 or 15 pounds for the Combine in hopes of getting his speed up. Just judging from his tape I don't see the kind of elite lateral movement and looseness that translates to a good 3-cone time. Kuechly for example put up a 6.92 3-cone which is excellent and very indicative of his sideline-to-sideline ability. I do see Te'o having good strength numbers, i.e. bench and vertical jump.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Doesn't really matter about height when your an ILB. Ray Lewis is the greatest ever and is only 6'1, while London Flecther is only 5'10. I still think Te'o is better than both Kuechly and Hightower, I think he'll be gone well before we pick.

Alec Ogletree is not going in the first round, and I would not like him as our first round pick, Kevin Minter is better and may go late in the first round.
    I don't agree that Te'o is a better prospect than Kuechly. Taking a hard look at his tape, you don't see the kind of elite sideline-to-sideline athleticism Kuechly had when he came out. I think Te'o might be out of the conversation for 4-3 Mike at this point, to me he looks more like a 3-4 ILB only or maybe 4-3 SAM. If he drops some weight and really shows improved sideline to sideline ability in the pre draft process he might work his way back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't agree that Te'o is a better prospect than Kuechly. Taking a hard look at his tape, you don't see the kind of elite sideline-to-sideline athleticism Kuechly had when he came out. I think Te'o might be out of the conversation for 4-3 Mike at this point, to me he looks more like a 3-4 ILB only or maybe 4-3 SAM. If he drops some weight and really shows improved sideline to sideline ability in the pre draft process he might work his way back.
    Te'o may have a bad BCS game, but Kuechly played against lesser competition, while Te' was dominating against some of the top teams in America. Its also funny how you bring up "elite" sideline to sideline speed, because while Kuechly had a very average rookie year, Hightower has been lights out whenever he's been on the field, and a lot of people said that Hightower should drop weight, and said there's no way he could excel in a 4-3 scheme as a ILB, guess he proved everyone wrong this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I really doubt Te'o is going to have a good Combine... he's not an athletic freak at all. I believe he's listed at 6'2 255... he might consider dropping 10 or 15 pounds for the Combine in hopes of getting his speed up. Just judging from his tape I don't see the kind of elite lateral movement and looseness that translates to a good 3-cone time. Kuechly for example put up a 6.92 3-cone which is excellent and very indicative of his sideline-to-sideline ability. I do see Te'o having good strength numbers, i.e. bench and vertical jump.

I totally agree.

I think Kuechly is a significantly better prospect than Teo.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Te'o may have a bad BCS game, but Kuechly played against lesser competition, while Te' was dominating against some of the top teams in America. Its also funny how you bring up "elite" sideline to sideline speed, because while Kuechly had a very average rookie year, Hightower has been lights out whenever he's been on the field, and a lot of people said that Hightower should drop weight, and said there's no way he could excel in a 4-3 scheme as a ILB, guess he proved everyone wrong this year.
    Kuechly may have played against lesser comp than Teo, but he also didn't have multiple first and second day picks playing in front of him taking up all the blockers either. Kuechly showed in college a much better ability to shed blocks and is vastly superior in pass coverage.

And he was far from average this year...lol. He led the NFL in tackles and was the defensive rookie of the month in December. He was so good that the Panthers are going to move Jon Beason, a Pro Bowl level MLB to OLB and keep Kuechly there.

He had an outstanding rookie year and is the running for defensive rookie of the year.

I definitely haven't seen Hightower being "lights out". He missed 2 games granted, but he also had like a third of Kuechly's tackles and didn't force a single turnover (he recovered 2 fumbles).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.