Page 89 of 333 FirstFirst ... 8788899091 ... LastLast
Results 1,057 to 1,068 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Unanimous all-american and Outland trophy winner.
    A 4.0 student that just might earn his Masters before graduation.
    Depending on what the Ravens do with Oher (RT or LT?) and whether or not they leave KO at guard (which they should) then Barrett Jones could be a nice RT addition.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I was pretty sure Alabama was going to win this game, but I did NOT expect Notre Dame to just get completely destroyed. They'll roll over now.

In non-BCS Championship news... one of my favorite sleeper prospects declared for the draft today. San Diego State TE Gavin Escobar. 6'5 255, great athlete with fantastic hands. Another Gronkowski-esque "mismatch" player albeit not a fantastic blocker at this point.

Wicked, you look at him at all? He doesn't have the hype of Eifert but if the Ravens want a TE, he's a great option.
    You know, SD State has some nice prospects. A lot of non-BCS schools do. I like Escobar. He'd be a nice pick up in the mid rounds. Not sure the Ravens go for another receiving TE as a mid round pick though...if they go for a mid round TE I'd hope they go for Williams out of Alabama or something like that. Having a TE who can block AND run routes would be nice. Split Pitta out wide and line up Michael Williams at TE. That'd be a nice combo.

Another AD State guy to keep an eye on in the mid/late rounds is Brice Butler (6'3" 209lbs). He transferred from USC a couple of years ago. He's got nice wheels for his size and has a nice jump ball. Not real keen on his route running ability though. Could be a decent project guy who is a bit more polished than Tommy Streeter.

Blog Entries

I am convinced that the team wants Oher as the longterm RT. Osemele at LG.

If you think that Jones is a can't miss prospect for the Center position, take him, so that Joe actually has a pocket to step up into, because he hasn't for the past two years.

Otherwise, find your LT, FOR THE LOVE!.... OF GOD!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

If you think that Jones is a can't miss prospect for the Center position, take him, so that Joe actually has a pocket to step up into, because he hasn't for the past two years.

Depends on Gradkowski and who is there when the Ravens pick.

If Barrett Jones is the top prospect, then maybe they can go with an OL of Oher, KO, Gradkowski, Yanda, B. Jones next year and see who shakes out at LT in the 2014 draft/free agency.

Finding, not just a LT...but a GOOD OT...is easier said than done. There are some nice prospects this year who could probably replicate Oher's performance with more upside (Oday Aboushi, Brian Winters, Ricky Wagner, etc). None of that means jack though.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You know, SD State has some nice prospects. A lot of non-BCS schools do. I like Escobar. He'd be a nice pick up in the mid rounds. Not sure the Ravens go for another receiving TE as a mid round pick though...if they go for a mid round TE I'd hope they go for Williams out of Alabama or something like that. Having a TE who can block AND run routes would be nice. Split Pitta out wide and line up Michael Williams at TE. That'd be a nice combo.

Another AD State guy to keep an eye on in the mid/late rounds is Brice Butler (6'3" 209lbs). He transferred from USC a couple of years ago. He's got nice wheels for his size and has a nice jump ball. Not real keen on his route running ability though. Could be a decent project guy who is a bit more polished than Tommy Streeter.
    Not a big fan of Butler although the triangle numbers are good enough to make him a worthwhile project, as you said. I think the theme of this upcoming draft needs to be two-fold: 1) finding a few blue-chip defenders to replace Ray and Ed, and 2) continuing to grow the offense. To me, that means targeting elite-upside defenders with your first 2 picks and then focusing basically on offensive sleepers the rest of the way.

Escobar isn't just a receiving-first TE, he has some blocking ability too and could improve in that area. Pitta I don't really ever see improving as a blocker and he's better used as a moving chess piece type anyway. With his athleticism, catch radius, and hands, the key is getting the right matchup with him and then getting him the ball. Use him like the Pats use Hernandez... split him out wide 'cause he's too big for a CB to cover, run him up the seam 'cause he's too fast for a LB to cover, etc.

In that scenario they would leave Escobar playing the in-line role. He can stretch the field up the seams, block, etc... basically the Gronkowski role. I know people will say "oh but we already have two TEs," would the Ravens mind having Jimmy Graham? Hell no, the NFL is about WEAPONS and it doesn't matter what position they play. You find a way to get them on the field. Plus, Dickson and Pitta are both FAs next year and I doubt they'll keep Dickson who isn't really particularly good at anything.

If they move to a 2TE base set, which is actually Norv Turner's preferred base offense, they need another every-down TE who can block and catch... I would love to have a guy like Escobar in that role. Hell, you were suggesting Tyler Eifert earlier, and I think Escobar is 90% as good a prospect, but in the 3rd instead of the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Depends on Gradkowski and who is there when the Ravens pick.

If Barrett Jones is the top prospect, then maybe they can go with an OL of Oher, KO, Gradkowski, Yanda, B. Jones next year and see who shakes out at LT in the 2014 draft/free agency.

Finding, not just a LT...but a GOOD OT...is easier said than done. There are some nice prospects this year who could probably replicate Oher's performance with more upside (Oday Aboushi, Brian Winters, Ricky Wagner, etc). None of that means jack though.
    I fear that the Ravens have fallen so head over heels in love with Oher that they simply won't take him off the field for any reason. I had hoped they would consider moving him to guard but I don't think that will happen now... it's OT or bust with him, and I believe firmly that he cannot play OT at even a tolerable level. How much more evidence do we need that 2009 was the fluke, not 2010-2012? The guy just can't play.

I don't like the idea of Jones at tackle in any scenario.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I won't be shedding one tear for Kelly, leaving those young men at Cincinnati, darn near on the eve of their bowl game. You go out and recruit these young men, preach to them about commitment and so forth, and ditch them on the eve of the most important game of their collegiate careers. Couldn't even wait until after the season to take the job.

The irony is that he getting it back in spades, at the hands of Nick Saban.
    I said the same thing last night.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Alabama looked dominant but Notre Dame looked overmatched. You can't over analyze this game too much. Alabama has way much more talent. A better way to gauge Alabama's players is to watch their tape against Texas A&M, Georgia, or LSU. Those teams are a lot closer, talent wise.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    Alabama looked dominant but Notre Dame looked overmatched. You can't over analyze this game too much. Alabama has way much more talent. A better way to gauge Alabama's players is to watch their tape against Texas A&M, Georgia, or LSU. Those teams are a lot closer, talent wise.
    Well, that's not entirely surprising.

The SEC is vastly different than most of the teams that Notre Dame plays against. I think if Notre Dame played in the SEC, or even the Big 10, they probably wouldn't have finished in the top 5.

Blog Entries

Ryan Clady, Kelechi Osemele, Barrett Jones, Marshal Yanda, Michael Oher.

The Excellector has spoken.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

With that much investment, I'd certainly let Oher go at the end of the year, add Gradkowwki to the mix and re-shuffle.

Shut yo mouph!
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver