Page 74 of 333 FirstFirst ... 7273747576 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Frankly, I don't know that Lewan did himself any favors. Granted, Jadeveon Clowney is probably better than most NFL team's starting rushers, but he really worked over Lewan.

I think Joeckel and Fisher are the only legitimate "sure" 1st rounders at OT right now.
    Are you kidding? No way does Lewan fall out of the 1st round because of one game, especially that game. Clowney is a future #1 overall pick and he definitely had a monster game but on some of those huge splash plays they weren't really Lewan's fault. For example, on the play where Clowney basically decapitated the RB to force a fumble, Michigan actually let him come through unblocked while Lewan went to the 2nd level (incredibly dumb play design but again not Lewan's fault.)

Clowney would have eaten Eric Fisher alive just as bad if not worse and probably Luke Joeckel too. Hell, Clowney might eat a lot of starting NFL LTs alive. I don't know how bad that hurts Lewan's stock when he had a really good year overall IIRC. He's pretty clearly still the #2 OT on the board and a lock for the top 15 IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Are you kidding? No way does Lewan fall out of the 1st round because of one game, especially that game. Clowney is a future #1 overall pick and he definitely had a monster game but on some of those huge splash plays they weren't really Lewan's fault. For example, on the play where Clowney basically decapitated the RB to force a fumble, Michigan actually let him come through unblocked while Lewan went to the 2nd level (incredibly dumb play design but again not Lewan's fault.)

Clowney would have eaten Eric Fisher alive just as bad if not worse and probably Luke Joeckel too. Hell, Clowney might eat a lot of starting NFL LTs alive. I don't know how bad that hurts Lewan's stock when he had a really good year overall IIRC. He's pretty clearly still the #2 OT on the board and a lock for the top 15 IMO.
    No, I don't think Lewan will fall out of round 1. However, many MANY folks had Jonathan Martin as a surefire 1st rounder last year and he dropped as well. Cordy Glenn and KO were considered borderline 1st rounders as well.

I'm just saying, it happens.

Oday Aboushi could come to the combine and kill it and bump himself up over some other guys.

There are two things that are going to hurt Lewan:
    1. A gadget offense predicated around running the ball (for most of his career). The guy is a good run blocker, but can he be a consistent pass blocker too?
    2. He has a tendency to play stiff from time to time (from what I've seen). That is common for OL'men his height, but can be coached. From what I have watched of Eric Fisher, he has nice bend in the knees and nice footwork as a pass blocker. That's just one more thing that coaches don't have to work on with him.

And you're definitely right that Clowney probably would have owned almost ANY left tackle in college and probably several in the pro's. I mean, 24 tackles for loss and 13 sacks in the SEC is REALLY impressive.

I just think that Lewan had an opportunity there to push himself to be the top overall OT taken.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I think he'll go higher than that if he works out and interviews well. I'd say the third round is probably his floor, realistically, and if he has a good pre-draft period he could easily make a case for the top 32.

With Jake Matthews probably going back to school, there's the top 3 guys in Joeckel, Lewan, and Fisher, and then it's really wide open for someone to jump up and take that 4th tackle spot. Lane Johnson? Oday Aboushi? Justin Pugh could easily grab it if everything checks out with him. That would put him solidly into the 2nd round.

He's a very good scheme fit for the Ravens zone-blocking system. Smart, athletic, very good in pass protection. The downsides with him are that he's pretty slim at like 6'6 290 and he never really faced a slew of good pass rushers in the Big East. The best guys he's really gone against have been Derek Wolfe, Trevardo Williams, and Jabaal Sheard... not exactly SEC type speed guys.
    You know, I think your right, always have to factor in that he is without question a LT while other guys have questions in that regard. He has to fill out some and i think once he gets into the draft process and competes against the top pass rushers in this class whether it be at the senior bowl, shrine game or combine he should move up into the 2nd round.

In fact, I might go back and re-watch the game again, but I seem to remember Lewan really holding Clowney in check for most of the first few quarters. He ended up with that big forced fumble and had some other good plays but I don't remember Lewan really getting abused. Maybe I'm not remembering it right.

Blog Entries

In fact, I might go back and re-watch the game again, but I seem to remember Lewan really holding Clowney in check for most of the first few quarters. He ended up with that big forced fumble and had some other good plays but I don't remember Lewan really getting abused. Maybe I'm not remembering it right.
    Maybe you are right.

I only watched the 2nd half. I was paying more attention to the Georgia/Nebraska game.

No, I don't think Lewan will fall out of round 1. However, many MANY folks had Jonathan Martin as a surefire 1st rounder last year and he dropped as well. Cordy Glenn and KO were considered borderline 1st rounders as well.

I'm just saying, it happens.

Oday Aboushi could come to the combine and kill it and bump himself up over some other guys.

There are two things that are going to hurt Lewan:
    1. A gadget offense predicated around running the ball (for most of his career). The guy is a good run blocker, but can he be a consistent pass blocker too?
    2. He has a tendency to play stiff from time to time (from what I've seen). That is common for OL'men his height, but can be coached. From what I have watched of Eric Fisher, he has nice bend in the knees and nice footwork as a pass blocker. That's just one more thing that coaches don't have to work on with him.

And you're definitely right that Clowney probably would have owned almost ANY left tackle in college and probably several in the pro's. I mean, 24 tackles for loss and 13 sacks in the SEC is REALLY impressive.

I just think that Lewan had an opportunity there to push himself to be the top overall OT taken.
    You make some good points particularly re: Jonathan Martin. I was just absolutely floored that he dropped all the way out of the 1st, I was sure he'd go in the teens. The draft is very unpredictable like that.

Every year the draft seems to have a storyline about a few really crazy, unexpected things happening including some kind of trend sweeping over the first round. Last year it was all the OL that fell while the position was devalued for some reason (I thought we'd get Cordy Glenn, Jon Martin, or Peter Konz, and all 3 of them fell out of the 1st entirely.) In 2011 it was a bunch of QBs that graded out as 2nd rounders going in the high 1st (Gabbert, Locker, Ponder) while those teams passed on a bunch of potential All-Pro pass rushers and WRs. In 2010 it was all the absolutely amazing 2nd round players that teams stupidly passed on (Gronkowski, Daryl Washington, Carlos Dunlap, Sean Lee, etc.)

I really think this year's storyline is going to be the 1st round being basically completely full of pass-rushing defensive linemen. That's where the talent of this draft is. You have to wonder if the Ravens might get swept up in that and end up taking a surprise pass rusher. I certainly wouldn't be all that surprised or disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    but if they drafted him thinking he will be the next jo, wouldn't you consider that a bust?

For me personally, I don't think he is. But if manti teo fell to us and we drafted him, I'd be expecting him to be on the level if not exceeding the play of someone like bowman, or Washington eventually obviously.

Say of we only get I dunno, dem Ryan's type play, I'd consider it a bust, merely because of the expectation, but at the same time, I'd be satisfied with his performance.

That's where I'm at with oher, I expected a lot more, but I'm satisfied with what we hand, not a bust per say, but not quite how I thought he would turn out either.
    I don't recall anyone stating that he was being drafted to be the next JO. Ogden is a once-in-a-generation type talent. It's illogical for anyone, particularly an orginaztion as intelligent as the Ravens prove to be, to have this expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Adam Caplan is on twitter saying the Ravens have signed WR Tori Gurley to a reserve future contract
    Just checked his twitter account. On January 2nd he tweeted "I'm pulling for Charlie Strong" (assuming that's about the Colts) and then two days later "Just Signed my future deal with the Ravens" hahah. kind of funny

Maybe you are right.

I only watched the 2nd half. I was paying more attention to the Georgia/Nebraska game.
    That was the better game. It's crazy how packed Georgia is with future high NFL picks. Aaron Murray, Todd Gurley, Tavarres King, and a couple of their OL will all be high picks someday. Then you have their defense... which is just nuts. 2 first round LBs, a first round DT, probably a 2nd round DT (Geathers), both safeties are 2nd-4th rounders... SO much talent on that team. And some of their underclassmen could easily emerge after this year's draft, too.

I've always liked UGA. Some people might not believe it anymore but the SEC is still tops IMO and I'll always favor players from that conference over pretty much anybody. Especially the overrated Pac-12.

Blog Entries

You make some good points particularly re: Jonathan Martin. I was just absolutely floored that he dropped all the way out of the 1st, I was sure he'd go in the teens. The draft is very unpredictable like that.

Every year the draft seems to have a storyline about a few really crazy, unexpected things happening including some kind of trend sweeping over the first round. Last year it was all the OL that fell while the position was devalued for some reason (I thought we'd get Cordy Glenn, Jon Martin, or Peter Konz, and all 3 of them fell out of the 1st entirely.) In 2011 it was a bunch of QBs that graded out as 2nd rounders going in the high 1st (Gabbert, Locker, Ponder) while those teams passed on a bunch of potential All-Pro pass rushers and WRs. In 2010 it was all the absolutely amazing 2nd round players that teams stupidly passed on (Gronkowski, Daryl Washington, Carlos Dunlap, Sean Lee, etc.)

I really think this year's storyline is going to be the 1st round being basically completely full of pass-rushing defensive linemen. That's where the talent of this draft is. You have to wonder if the Ravens might get swept up in that and end up taking a surprise pass rusher. I certainly wouldn't be all that surprised or disappointed.
    I think a pass rusher is absolutely a possibility. Maybe it was you who posted this in another thread, but Suggs is going to be 31 years old, 10 years into the league, and coming off of an injury-riddled season. It is highly unlikely that Suggs will ever return to his DPOY form. If he comes remotely close, I'd be very surprised. It is also possible that Kruger will not be retained due to his price tag conflicting with being able to re-sign Flacco. Frankly, I'd rather them re-sign Ellerbe because of how stocked this draft class is with rush linebackers and DE's.

Secondly, I am totally expecting several teams (KC, Buffalo, Jax, NY Jets, Dallas, Arizona, Oakland, Philly, and possibly even Cleveland) to target a QB early. Just because of the value of a QB, I could see guys like Barkley, Wilson, Geno, Glennon, and Boyd all taken in round 1.

Blog Entries

That was the better game. It's crazy how packed Georgia is with future high NFL picks. Aaron Murray, Todd Gurley, Tavarres King, and a couple of their OL will all be high picks someday. Then you have their defense... which is just nuts. 2 first round LBs, a first round DT, probably a 2nd round DT (Geathers), both safeties are 2nd-4th rounders... SO much talent on that team. And some of their underclassmen could easily emerge after this year's draft, too.

I've always liked UGA. Some people might not believe it anymore but the SEC is still tops IMO and I'll always favor players from that conference over pretty much anybody. Especially the overrated Pac-12.
    And they have a cornerback to really keep an eye on: Sanders Commings...6'2" 217lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Just checked his twitter account. On January 2nd he tweeted "I'm pulling for Charlie Strong" (assuming that's about the Colts) and then two days later "Just Signed my future deal with the Ravens" hahah. kind of funny
    Current HC at Louisville. Former DC at Florida.
    I want to look like that guy when I'm 52.