Page 62 of 333 FirstFirst ... 6061626364 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Right now, there are 3 prospects that I'm really zeroing in on for the Ravens in the first round: Matt Elam, Kevin Minter, and Barrett Jones. Those are all late 1st-early 2nd level prospects... I don't see Minter lasting to the bottom of the 2nd. If the Ravens don't trade back they'll need to take him at the bottom of the 1st. I like Minter a lot as a prospect but I'd be a little disappointed to see them take LB in the 1st when OL and FS are bigger needs... but if he's the BPA they'll do it.

It'd be nice if the Ravens could trade back to the top of the 2nd, maybe with a team like Buffalo or Arizona that wants to leapfrog Jacksonville or KC to get Matt Barkley or Tyler Wilson. They could grab one of my 3 guys at the top of the 2nd, then maybe put together a package to trade up in the 2nd and get another one. It'd be awesome for the Ravens to come out of the draft with Matt Elam and Barrett Jones.

In terms of ILBs... a guy who's had a similar career arc to Alec Ogletree is Khaseem Greene. Started as a safety, now moved to LB... but I think he's a better prospect than Ogletree. Much more physical and better at taking on blocks. I'd love to see the Ravens get him.
    I've never heard you mention Arthur brown, curious as to why?

Would PIT trade down to take Minter (at the top of the 2nd) to replace Foote?
    I can see Minter getting "media valued" at the bottom of the 1st if he drills well.

Blog Entries
    Stupid predictive text...i meant i would NOT be stoked if they used a first on Ogletree.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'm mixed on Ogletree. It's tough because he is so new to the ILB position. The Zach Brown comparison is definitely there, but Ogletree has been improving in his instincts and physicality as the year progresses. He just slides back to his DB instincts at times with wanting to dodge blockers instead of hit them and get off.

Is he worth a 1st round pick? I don't know. He's not a finished product and might be limited to nickel situations in his rookie year. His best fit in the NFL might be as a 4-3 weak side linebacker, which is where Brown is playing now for the Titans.
    Yeah...i get the speed and athleticism part, but he really wants no part of linemen. Some guys that size relish contact...last year the one guy who was undersized but still extremely physical for his size was Lavonte David...I really liked him along with Mychal Kendricks and Bobby Wagner

Right now, there are 3 prospects that I'm really zeroing in on for the Ravens in the first round: Matt Elam, Kevin Minter, and Barrett Jones. Those are all late 1st-early 2nd level prospects... I don't see Minter lasting to the bottom of the 2nd. If the Ravens don't trade back they'll need to take him at the bottom of the 1st. I like Minter a lot as a prospect but I'd be a little disappointed to see them take LB in the 1st when OL and FS are bigger needs... but if he's the BPA they'll do it.

It'd be nice if the Ravens could trade back to the top of the 2nd, maybe with a team like Buffalo or Arizona that wants to leapfrog Jacksonville or KC to get Matt Barkley or Tyler Wilson. They could grab one of my 3 guys at the top of the 2nd, then maybe put together a package to trade up in the 2nd and get another one. It'd be awesome for the Ravens to come out of the draft with Matt Elam and Barrett Jones.

In terms of ILBs... a guy who's had a similar career arc to Alec Ogletree is Khaseem Greene. Started as a safety, now moved to LB... but I think he's a better prospect than Ogletree. Much more physical and better at taking on blocks. I'd love to see the Ravens get him.
    I don't like Minter as a first round prospect.

And from what I've seen of Greene, he's even less physical than Ogletree.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Would PIT trade down to take Minter (at the top of the 2nd) to replace Foote?
    I can see Minter getting "media valued" at the bottom of the 1st if he drills well.
    I don't think so...they just spent a 3rd pick on Sean Spence...another one of those undersized speedy LB's that are all the craze now. Foote actually played really well this season and I'm sure they have plans on Spence taking over that spot. They'd have 2 incredibly athletic ILB's if Spence pans out with him and Timmons.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Kevin Minter is great IMO, very underrated.

Blog Entries
    Clowney show in the Outback

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Aaron Murray could go higher than a lot of us thought if he enters.

Greene is always around the ball making stuff happen. His "look what I found" TD vs. VaTech is just an example. He would be a good coverage LB that could close underneath, separate a guy from the ball or slap it away, and you could disguise zone blitz him some too. I'm still not sure how we will hold up vs. NFL OLmen moving out on him though, and b/c of that I could see lower valued OLBs (with traditional size) like Thomas and Jenkins going ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Kevin Minter is great IMO, very underrated.
    I like him too.

Just not in the first round or even high second.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Greene is always around the ball making stuff happen. His "look what I found" TD vs. VaTech is just an example. He would be a good coverage LB that could close underneath, separate a guy from the ball or slap it away, and you could disguise zone blitz him some too. I'm still not sure how we will hold up vs. NFL OLmen moving out on him though, and b/c of that I could see lower valued OLBs (with traditional size) like Thomas and Jenkins going ahead of him.
    Smaller/faster guys are in more demand than the bigger guys these days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like him too.

Just not in the first round or even high second.
    I am willing to bet money that he will go at least early second round, he is the second best ILB in the draft IMO.

Blog Entries

Anyone want to go in on a few sledgehammers, each one of us take an important Raven (Flacco, Rice, Ngata, Suggs) and we blow a knee out on them. Then we could get Clowney next year?