Page 61 of 333 FirstFirst ... 5960616263 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Watching Michigan and South Carolina...Lewan keeping Clowney quiet early. Also really like SC Safety Holloman as a guy you take in the 5th and make him a nickel LB/ST player

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Watching Michigan and South Carolina...Lewan keeping Clowney quiet early. Also really like SC Safety Holloman as a guy you take in the 5th and make him a nickel LB/ST player
    DJ Swearinger is a good safety prospect for South Carolina. Nice center-fielder type. He could be a good pickup in the 4th or so... but he needs to play with way more discipline. Too many flags, etc. but you've gotta love his physicality.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    DJ Swearinger is a good safety prospect for South Carolina. Nice center-fielder type. He could be a good pickup in the 4th or so... but he needs to play with way more discipline. Too many flags, etc. but you've gotta love his physicality.
    Im noticing him now, good size, good range, seems like he has the athleticism.

Is it bad that I'm kind of excited to see a new face at free safety for the Ravens over the next few years? Ed Reed has been my favorite player for a long time, but he's not who he used to be. At his prime, Ed wasn't just the best centerfielder in the game, he was a terror everywhere on the field, shooting in like a missile to blow up runs and knock QBs out on the blitz. That was part of what made him so good--his versatility. He doesn't have that second element of his game anymore with his refusal to tackle and total lack of physicality.

A lot of the FS prospects I'm scouting now are impressing me with their ability to make plays all over the field like Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu used to be able to do... I'm particularly impressed by Phillip Thomas, Kenny Vaccaro, DJ Swearinger, and Bacarri Rambo. None of them will be first ballot HOFers like Troy and Ed but love their versatility.

Nobody will ever replace Ed Reed as a ballhawk but imagine how much better this defense could be with a rangy FS who could play physical, shooting down to blow up the run and hitting the QB on the blitz. It would be nice to have that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Clowney's starting to have his way with Lewan now.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post

Clowney's starting to have his way with Lewan now.
    Kind of confirms what I had thought about Lewan: nice upside, but he plays kind of stiff from time to time. He lets DE's get up into his body.

Eric Fisher is easily the second best LT in this draft.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I've been somewhat dumbfounded that this Georgia defense...with all this high end NFL talent isn't really dominant.

Ogletree really likes to try and run around blocks...he reminds me a lot of Zach Brown last year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I've been somewhat dumbfounded that this Georgia defense...with all this high end NFL talent isn't really dominant.

Ogletree really likes to try and run around blocks...he reminds me a lot of Zach Brown last year.
    That is his biggest knock. Athletic as hell...doesn't take on blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I'm mixed on Ogletree. It's tough because he is so new to the ILB position. The Zach Brown comparison is definitely there, but Ogletree has been improving in his instincts and physicality as the year progresses. He just slides back to his DB instincts at times with wanting to dodge blockers instead of hit them and get off.

Is he worth a 1st round pick? I don't know. He's not a finished product and might be limited to nickel situations in his rookie year. His best fit in the NFL might be as a 4-3 weak side linebacker, which is where Brown is playing now for the Titans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

I'm mixed on Ogletree. It's tough because he is so new to the ILB position. The Zach Brown comparison is definitely there, but Ogletree has been improving in his instincts and physicality as the year progresses. He just slides back to his DB instincts at times with wanting to dodge blockers instead of hit them and get off.

Is he worth a 1st round pick? I don't know. He's not a finished product and might be limited to nickel situations in his rookie year. His best fit in the NFL might be as a 4-3 weak side linebacker, which is where Brown is playing now for the Titans.
    I cant honestly say I would be stoked to see them use a first on him.

Id rather them sit on it and use a second on Minter or Hodges.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Minter looked really good last night, hits like a truck

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Right now, there are 3 prospects that I'm really zeroing in on for the Ravens in the first round: Matt Elam, Kevin Minter, and Barrett Jones. Those are all late 1st-early 2nd level prospects... I don't see Minter lasting to the bottom of the 2nd. If the Ravens don't trade back they'll need to take him at the bottom of the 1st. I like Minter a lot as a prospect but I'd be a little disappointed to see them take LB in the 1st when OL and FS are bigger needs... but if he's the BPA they'll do it.

It'd be nice if the Ravens could trade back to the top of the 2nd, maybe with a team like Buffalo or Arizona that wants to leapfrog Jacksonville or KC to get Matt Barkley or Tyler Wilson. They could grab one of my 3 guys at the top of the 2nd, then maybe put together a package to trade up in the 2nd and get another one. It'd be awesome for the Ravens to come out of the draft with Matt Elam and Barrett Jones.

In terms of ILBs... a guy who's had a similar career arc to Alec Ogletree is Khaseem Greene. Started as a safety, now moved to LB... but I think he's a better prospect than Ogletree. Much more physical and better at taking on blocks. I'd love to see the Ravens get him.