Page 47 of 333 FirstFirst ... 4546474849 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I suspect we will sign another broken up vet guard and maybe even a center.

Israel Idonije and Henry Melton are both free agents. Do the Bears keep both? Cliff Avril re-signed with Detroit, right?

I think we retain Kruger and don't add any OLBs. Suggs/Kruger/Upshaw is a good OLB package. Connor Barwin will probably be expensive, too.

We'd only sign a safety I think if Reed is cut. Maybe Dashon Goldson in that case. Jairus Byrd is the Bills' best defensive player, I don't see them letting him walk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I suspect we will sign another broken up vet guard and maybe even a center.

Israel Idonije and Henry Melton are both free agents. Do the Bears keep both? Cliff Avril re-signed with Detroit, right?

I think we retain Kruger and don't add any OLBs. Suggs/Kruger/Upshaw is a good OLB package. Connor Barwin will probably be expensive, too.

We'd only sign a safety I think if Reed is cut. Maybe Dashon Goldson in that case. Jairus Byrd is the Bills' best defensive player, I don't see them letting him walk.
    Chris Spencer is someone to look at who can play both center and guard, he's been the starting RG for the bears this year. He would at least push Gino for the starting C spot next season.

Idonije isn't a good fit for our team, and doesn't fill a great need, but Henry Melton is someone I'd love to see in Baltimore. He may be out of our price range though.

Both Avril and Bawrin are overrated anyway, I honestly think if we take another 3-4 OLB, it's going to be through the draft in a later round, or a physical freak like a Dion Jordan in the first round.

Reed can't be cut, he's a FA in 2013. I think Goldson will be out of our price range, a guy like Glover Quinn from the Texans will come here for a much better value price. Ozzie seems to really like the Houston guys lately, so he could be another Texan to look out for.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ersion-20.html

National Football Post's Russ Lande released his top 200, i really like his prospective and i think he does some of the best scouting reports in the business. Some of his projections make shock people a little, i think his is more based on the tape and what the player is right now as opposed to upside. He has Werner as his top overall prospect. People might frown on that but i love Werner, i think he arguably is, some other guys may have a little more upside but i think Werner could be a productive high end starter rather quickly.
    Last edited by Carey; 12-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.

NFP is interesting. Their rankings often differ from most other sources and by a great degree. I need to look at their past 2-3 drafts and see how they've turned out. It's a good alternative source if nothing else.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Really looking forward to tonight's game. Good prospects on the field from schools that seldom get televised unless they make a bowl.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    NFP is interesting. Their rankings often differ from most other sources and by a great degree. I need to look at their past 2-3 drafts and see how they've turned out. It's a good alternative source if nothing else.
    I dont always agree with them but for me if you can tell me in a detailed fashion how you come to your conclusion's it just resonates differently. That's why i like there prospect coverage, that and i love their scouting reports.

2 sacks and 2 FF i believe from Margus Hunt last night

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ersion-20.html

National Football Post's Russ Lande released his top 200, i really like his prospective and i think he does some of the best scouting reports in the business. Some of his projections make shock people a little, i think his is more based on the tape and what the player is right now as opposed to upside. He has Werner as his top overall prospect. People might frown on that but i love Werner, i think he arguably is, some other guys may have a little more upside but i think Werner could be a productive high end starter rather quickly.
    They have Ogletree ranked above Te'o. Closed it, dismissed as quacks, and immediatly dismiss anything they say.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    They have Ogletree ranked above Te'o. Closed it, dismissed as quacks, and immediatly dismiss anything they say.
    Again, I dont agree but i promise you if you read a scouting report of their's you wont dismiss them as quacks.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    They claim their methodology is based only on film from 2012, but if they're watching film from 2012 they're drawing a lot of different conclusions from me (which doesn't really mean anything since they're pros and I'm an amateur.) But still, things like Jake Matthews over Luke Joeckel (and they're wrong about Matthews coming out, sources are indicating he will return to school next year), Brandon Jenkins at #36 (way too high), Damontre Moore at #49 (way too low)... these rankings are just different for the sake of being different.

Their scouting reports are great, but this "top 200" list is pretty worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    They claim their methodology is based only on film from 2012, but if they're watching film from 2012 they're drawing a lot of different conclusions from me (which doesn't really mean anything since they're pros and I'm an amateur.) But still, things like Jake Matthews over Luke Joeckel (and they're wrong about Matthews coming out, sources are indicating he will return to school next year), Brandon Jenkins at #36 (way too high), Damontre Moore at #49 (way too low)... these rankings are just different for the sake of being different.

Their scouting reports are great, but this "top 200" list is pretty worthless.
    I can get on board with this, i agree with it for the most part. I know last year i read most of their scouting reports and i think they try to push up guys they like maybe a little more then they actually should. But they are also good at pointing out flaws in overrated prospects as well as finding sleepers that you might not even hear about on other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I went back and watched some more film of Margus Hunt and honestly, that guy could be something pretty special. It is rare to see a guy his size with that kind of explosion and strength. IMO he is going to sneak up into the 1st round. The Ravens might consider him as a DE.

That said - I do not think he is a fantastic prospect in a 3-4 5-technique position. I think he really is more of a 4-3 left end/pass rusher.

I could see some 3-4 teams looking at him as a 3-4 rush linebacker though. His qualities are length and quickness. Supposedly he can run a 4.7 40-yard dash.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Yeah, I'm watching a lot of Margus Hunt lately, including the bowl game from Christmas Eve, and the kid is a monster. He made himself a ton of money in that game.

I kind of disagree about his potential as a 5-tech DE though. I think he could play that position really well. If you watch the SMU defense they line up in a 3 man front particularly in nickel all the time with Hunt at 5-tech DE. He has great length, anchor strength, and upper body power to control the tackle and play 2-gap, but he also shoots the B gap really well.

I think he could be a great 5-tech in your typical 3-4, but he will need to sit for a year or so while he learns the technique of that position at the NFL level. However he could come in year 1 and play that position in nickel sets where he can concentrate more on shooting the gaps from a 3-point stance head up over the tackle. He could also be a good fit as a 4-3 left end. I just don't see 4-3 right end or 3-4 rush at all, I don't see the flexibility and bend for that, although he can get around the edge with speed.

I think honestly he has JJ Watt level upside if used correctly and mentored by a good DL coach who can get his technique up. If he blows up the Combine and pre-draft workouts, which I think he will, you could EASILY see him shooting up into the top half of the 1st round. You don't think teams like Buffalo, Dallas, and Jacksonville aren't kicking themselves for passing on Watt? Trust me, he's going to go much higher than a lot of people are expecting right now.