Page 44 of 333 FirstFirst ... 4243444546 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Yeah I'd give up a ton to get Te'o, but if not than Ogletree in the 2nd, next to Ellerbe would be sufficient. Or give up some to land a Fisher to kick Oher inside to LG.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Arthur brown. I'm firmly on his bandwagon
    He's my favorite player in this draft, he never has to leave the field, undersized but has the instincts and strength to take on blockers, move thru the trash and make plays but also can excel in coverage. Love the guy as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Watched his tape vs Texas tech, and he looked awful as a run defender. I counted like 8 miss tackles where he got blown out the way by Olinemen, has some upside as a nikel LB who can drop back, plus he made a nice interception at the end, but unless we go into a full time 4-3 scheme, he is about as bad as you can get for a 3-4 ILB fit.
    He will have guy's like Ngata, hopefully Knighton(crosses fingers lol) in front of him. Is Jones a thumper? No, but i think he can do well enough to not be a liability inside as well as get to the perimeter on runs that are guys(besides Ellerbe)havent shown the ability to get to. I think he'd be just fine in the 34, i.e. Navarro Bowman.

Andrew Jackson, check his clips against Alabama. Run stuffer is the definition of this guy.
    I like Jackson a lot. He's a collider! Not sure about his pass coverage though...but I didn't make that clear above.
    I'm trying to find a rangey coverage LB. Doesn't have to be long like Ogletree, since I think he's kind of rare anyway (being a SS convert). Which reminds me of a thought/post I had/made about 2 months ago: Could Christian Thompson + 15 lbs = coverage LB?

Back to Jackson...he plays tonight or Wednesday. Set the DVR before I left town. Looking forward to watching him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    ^Raveninwoodlawn kinda opened my eyes to Jonathan Bostic from Florida, i think he could be had in the 3rd. Gerald Hodges i also think could be had in the 3rd, not near as rangy as the Ogletree's and Brown's but i think he could get the job done and be an upgrade over what we have currently as far as cover guys. Kevin Reddick is probably a 4th round guy, has the potential but never played at the level many hoped. After that i see alot of guys that i think might struggle to shed blocks in a 34 or are more thumper types like what we have already. I definetely feel we need to get another nickel LB in that 4th to 5th round range after securing a Brown or Ogletree earlier. I dont think the guy necessarily has to be a guy that projects as a 3 down player at any point. I'd take a SS conversion type guy like Kenny Tate and tell him just worry about covering TE's and backs on 3rd and be an all pro ST performer.
    I really like Hodges...I actually like him more than Ogletree...Ogletree is more athletic but Hodges is no slouch...and I think Hodges is more willing to get physical than Ogletree.

I still like Bostic as maybe an option in the 3rd or 4th.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Alec Ogletree isn't all that IMO. Did anyone watch the SEC game? He looked awful at times in run defense. I think there are better guys to go for than him which can offer as much value/more value in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

I'm still in favor of selling the farm and going up to grab Te'o, but I think most likely thing is grabbing Jones or Chase Wormack, then trying to nab CJ Mosley (I could see Oz trading a third or something to move up in the second).

Mosley's coverage ability combined with Ellerbe's physical presence would make a combo I think a lot of us would be happy with. And I like the idea of Upshaw being able to play with a fellow Bama alum, might give them some good chemistry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I'm still in favor of selling the farm and going up to grab Te'o, but I think most likely thing is grabbing Jones or Chase Wormack, then trying to nab CJ Mosley (I could see Oz trading a third or something to move up in the second).

Mosley's coverage ability combined with Ellerbe's physical presence would make a combo I think a lot of us would be happy with. And I like the idea of Upshaw being able to play with a fellow Bama alum, might give them some good chemistry.
    CJ Moseley is going back to school.

Blog Entries

I'm also a big fan of Terrence Knighton, and if we're committed to staying a 3-4 scheme on defense, we seriously need to get an upgrade at NT, Knighton could be that guy being a natural fit as a 3-4 NT. I watched the Jags game, and he was constantly in Brady's face all day.

I'm also a big fan of Terrence Knighton, and if we're committed to staying a 3-4 scheme on defense, we seriously need to get an upgrade at NT, Knighton could be that guy being a natural fit as a 3-4 NT. I watched the Jags game, and he was constantly in Brady's face all day.
    Knighton can play in the 4-3 or 3-4 equally well, I think. I want us to move to the 4-3 or go back to a hybrid 3-4/4-3, Knighton would be a good NT/DT in either formation. You need a good rotation at DT.

Gerald Hodges is the guy I would like as either the WILB in the 3-4 or Will OLB in the 4-3. Think he could play either really well and he defends run and pass equally as well. This team NEEDS to re-sign Ellerbe to play Mike, the only problem is McClain WILL be back next year cuz I think the Ravens pay more to release him than keep him.

How about the DB play we saw yesterday? Chykie Brown was really good as the #3 CB, I like his tight coverage on the outside, and Ihedigbo continues to show that he's a really good player at safety. Omar Brown also got in on the action with a sack. How do we feel about depth at CB and S next year? Do we already have a sleeper to replace Ed Reed in Ihedigbo or Brown?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I really like Hodges...I actually like him more than Ogletree...Ogletree is more athletic but Hodges is no slouch...and I think Hodges is more willing to get physical than Ogletree.

I still like Bostic as maybe an option in the 3rd or 4th.
    Ogletree would maybe be best imo as the 3rd ILB earlier on while playing some nickel. I dont think he'd be ready to do the dirty work as a 34 ILB from day one but once he's able to watch out because he's insanely fast and a natural playmaker.

Hodges would be great value, not the upside of some of the others but a better floor. And that's not to say he isnt an athlete, just not a special one, but he could do anything asked of him as a 34 ILB.

Did some more reasearch, for those looking for cover LB's check out Jamie Collins at Southern Miss, Zaviar Gooden(Former SS) playing Sean Weatherspoon's old role at Mizzou, and Sio Moore at UCONN. Again these guys dont fit the mold of a 3-4 Inside backer but they would be guys i'd tell to focus on playing in the nickel and on ST's. Any of these guys would be nice in the 4th or 5th round to fill that role.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Knighton can play in the 4-3 or 3-4 equally well, I think. I want us to move to the 4-3 or go back to a hybrid 3-4/4-3, Knighton would be a good NT/DT in either formation. You need a good rotation at DT.

Gerald Hodges is the guy I would like as either the WILB in the 3-4 or Will OLB in the 4-3. Think he could play either really well and he defends run and pass equally as well. This team NEEDS to re-sign Ellerbe to play Mike, the only problem is McClain WILL be back next year cuz I think the Ravens pay more to release him than keep him.How about the DB play we saw yesterday? Chykie Brown was really good as the #3 CB, I like his tight coverage on the outside, and Ihedigbo continues to show that he's a really good player at safety. Omar Brown also got in on the action with a sack. How do we feel about depth at CB and S next year? Do we already have a sleeper to replace Ed Reed in Ihedigbo or Brown?
    I noticed that, i think it's very likely he's back. I just hope that his spot is open for competition. What's even scarier is if they decide to keep Ray or if he takes less to come back they may feel like their set at ILB for another year and not address the position. Hopefully thats not the case because we sorely need Ray's replacement as well as more coverage help.

As far as S i think Ihedigbo has certaintly earned a spot as the backup SS next season but i dont think he has the range to play Centerfield. Omar Brown is intriguing because he moves around a little better then i gave him credit for and it showed yesterday. It's a shame Christian Thompson got hurt because we'd be able to see what we had in him with this Pollard injury. I still believe this is a nice safety class and i think a guy like Rambo in the 3rd represents and upgrade over what we have at FS.