Page 37 of 333 FirstFirst ... 3536373839 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just getting a legit LT prospect would cure a lot of issues on the OL.

I'm still reading a lot of stuff indicating that Jake Long is damn near out the door in Miami.
    Long's last two seasons are alarming when compared to his first three.
    Hates being in MIA? Breaking down? Came off the juice?
    As badly as I want a good tackle in here, I would steer clear of him.
    Let the Raiders take him.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Oh, and one other thing: this team is going to have A LOT of compensatory picks this year, I think they'll get the max of 4, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get say a 3rd, two 4ths, and a 5th. We should get somebody more knowledgeable about that subject like Ravor to address the topic but we lost 5 guys who have all started a ton of games elsewhere (Grubbs, Johnson, Redding, Zibby, Nakamura) and I know the formula goes by how many FAs you lost, how big contracts they signed, and how many games they started.

We can't trade the comp picks, but we also have all 7 of our normal picks so with a grand total of 11 picks I think you'll see us making a lot of moves and grabbing a lot of guys.
    Root for Grubbs to close out the season on fire...I would think we are close to a 3rd rounder for him.

Looking at the flexibility of 11 picks (especially if we get a comp 3rd), it's not far fetched to envision Ozzie with three 2nds. Now I don't want him to trade down again at all (although if we land KC's Albert, I would welcome it); but looking at 2011's draft, I think we'd all be good with Upshaw, KO and Lavonte David (<--- three 2nd rounders from 2012).

Blog Entries

Just getting a legit LT prospect would cure a lot of issues on the OL.

I'm still reading a lot of stuff indicating that Jake Long is damn near out the door in Miami.
    The reason that Long is out the door is because he's played very poorly. My best friend is big Dolphins fan and he hates Long. He told me that Long was tremendous his rookie season and began to slip in big way by year 3. Given the amount of money he's going to get I wouldn't touch him. It's not as if we're going to be able to afford him anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I don't know, but he may be the best LT available in free agency.

I have a hard time thinking that one of the most promising young LT's has multiple solid seasons and then just can't play anymore. He's either been dealing with a nagging injury or he just really wants out of Miami. If it is the later, I can't blame him. Jeff Ireland is a prick and is probably going to be fired this off-season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Root for Grubbs to close out the season on fire...I would think we are close to a 3rd rounder for him.

Looking at the flexibility of 11 picks (especially if we get a comp 3rd), it's not far fetched to envision Ozzie with three 2nds. Now I don't want him to trade down again at all (although if we land KC's Albert, I would welcome it); but looking at 2011's draft, I think we'd all be good with Upshaw, KO and Lavonte David (<--- three 2nd rounders from 2012).
    Im in this camp, i dont mind if he trades down into the 2nd if the opportunitity is there as long as he's aggressive after that. Say he wants a LT and wants say Aboushi at the top of the 2nd, take the assets and turn it into say Aboushi, Arthur Brown, and Eric Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The reason that Long is out the door is because he's played very poorly. My best friend is big Dolphins fan and he hates Long. He told me that Long was tremendous his rookie season and began to slip in big way by year 3. Given the amount of money he's going to get I wouldn't touch him. It's not as if we're going to be able to afford him anyway.
    I agree.

I don't know the reason why his play has slipped so much.

But I'm not going to pony up and commit to the type of money he will command for a player who is declining.

It's really chasing a name at this point...and that's what gets teams like the Jets in trouble.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Suggs is a hell of a player, but bmorecareful does bring up a good point about his age and how long he's been in the league. By the time next season starts, he'll have been in the league for 10 years. That is a lot of wear and tear on anyone's body. While he has never really had any major injuries prior to this past season, you do have to wonder when he is going to start breaking down and whether or not the Ravens should consider dialing his snaps back a bit. IF that is something that they're considering, then yes, taking a DE/Pass rusher should be something that they may consider.

I don't care for Corey Lemonier, but Dion Jordan, Bjoern Werner, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah...

A dark horse DE I really like is Will Sutton out of Arizona State. 6'2" 271lbs and he's pretty quick. He will probably be available in the 4th or 5th rounds. We could also take a flier on Brandon Jenkins out of Florida State. Prior to getting hurt, he was one of the top rated DE/Rush OLB prospects in the country. Right up there with Sam Montgomery.

Another guy I like is John Simon out of Ohio State. 6'2" 265lbs, nice motor. Nice pass rushing moves.
    I'm a pretty big OSU fan, so I watch as many of their games as I can. I gotta say, I'm a huge fan of John Simon. One of the few players in Buckeye History to be a 2 year captain. Besides his obvious talent, he is a great leader and a hard worker. Definitely a guy you want on your team.

What kind of money do you think they're gonna give Flacco? I'm hoping it's leaning toward a Matt Shaub type deal. Let's be honest, he's a lot closer to Shaub than Manning and this season he's proved that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    What kind of money do you think they're gonna give Flacco? I'm hoping it's leaning toward a Matt Shaub type deal. Let's be honest, he's a lot closer to Shaub than Manning and this season he's proved that.
    I think Flacco will get more than Schaub. You gotta factor in that Schaub is 31 and has been injury prone. I see Flacco getting 16-17 mil/year.

The more I look at the WR class, the less impressed I am. My focus has been finding a slot guy that can get open with his feet, not his legs. Meaning, a guy that can beat jams and get separation on outs and comebacks. After looking at game film on 17 guys, I'm down to...

Tavon Austin
    Quinton Patton
    Ryan Swope

I love Austin, but who knows if our new OC will like his size. But if this becomes my final list then Quinton Patton will probably be my target WR. Dude is a very aggressive downfield blocker...probably the best I've noticed ever in college. Also he looks like a 4.55 guy in pads and that's plenty.

The more I look at the WR class, the less impressed I am. My focus has been finding a slot guy that can get open with his feet, not his legs. Meaning, a guy that can beat jams and get separation on outs and comebacks. After looking at game film on 17 guys, I'm down to...

Tavon Austin
    Quinton Patton
    Ryan Swope

I love Austin, but who knows if our new OC will like his size. But if this becomes my final list then Quinton Patton will probably be my target WR. Dude is a very aggressive downfield blocker...probably the best I've noticed ever in college. Also he looks like a 4.55 guy in pads and that's plenty.
    I'm not a huge fan of Tavon Austin. I actually think Stedman Bailey is the better of the two prospects. I haven't watched Quinton Patton at all so I have no clue on him. I like Ryan Swope, think he's a good fit for a WCO team. His route running is good, good hands, pretty good after the catch... but not really elite at anything. He may have also been helped by playing with some very good quarterbacks.

This draft class isn't too strong at WR, I agree. I've been looking at big, physical WRs to replace Boldin lately, so let me comment on my thoughts on 3 of em. I just finished watching some tape of Keenan Allen, and I'm not really sure what I think of him. I think he has some precision in his route running but he gets sloppy at times and he isn't super quick out of his breaks. He reminds me a bit of Anquan in that respect, guys who are savvy but just don't have a lot of lateral agility. He also doesn't have elite body control or hand catching at this point. Don't think he's worth a 1st round pick.

Just got done watching a little bit of Justin Hunter as well, this guy is also a 1st rounder? Maybe I need to watch more but he doesn't catch the ball with his hands and doesn't use his height and length all that well. Not knocked out by him either...

The guy I've watched recently that I liked the most was Da'Rick Rogers. Best body control, hands, and route running I've seen. Nice sharp cuts despite his big frame, and he uses his big frame better than either of the other two guys. He should be around in the 2nd given his character issues but I think he's the most talented "big" WR I've watched so far.

Blog Entries
    Tyler Bray is going to leave TN and enter the draft

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!