Page 34 of 333 FirstFirst ... 3233343536 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Sam will be gone way before that. I don't see him making it past 15. Mingo gets more hype but Sam is a more complete player and has a shot to be a better pro
    What's your take on Minter? I'd like to hear it.

Arthur Brown imo is the best linebacker. I had him ahead of Mosley to. He's the one guy I want out of anyone.

What good pass rushers has Fisher faced in his career? That's the issue with him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Second round pick (Currently projected at 55):

Kevin Minter, 6'2, 245 lbs, Linebacker, LSU.

Kevin Minter is an underrated prospect, which is strange coming from a big school like LSU. I'm sure GOTA can provide some more inside info on him being a big LSU fan. He is more of a inside run defender than a guy who drops back into coverage, which I know is a big need, but he can probably still do that better than any LB we currently have anyway. We need to add some speed into this front 7 if we ever want to get back to playing elite defense, and drafting a Kevin Minter could be a good start to that. Minter is listed as 6'2, but he looks more along the lines of 6'1, but that shouldn't put many people off, as there are many 6'1 LB's who have had HOF careers, like someone we all know too well.
    Minter is a good player but I think he'll be available further down the draft. Like you said he's short which isn't a problem. And yes, I don't believe he's 6'2. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a little over 6' at the Combine. However he's not lightening fast. He's very quick but he lacks that elite speed that teams are looking for from a shorter LB. That's what pushed other short ILB guys like Mychal Kendricks up in the draft. It's just a guess but I think the Combine is going push Minter down to the 3rd or 4th round. Some team is going to get a real bargain when they take him there.

Minter broke out this year and showed that he could shed blockers and tackle anything near him. He's what you want in the middle from a physical standpoint. Hard to tell if he's mentally up to the position. The adjustments aren't even close to the same level in college. He did end up as the clear leader of that defense this year so that's another quality you're looking for at MLB. I'd be happy to draft him especially in the 3rd or lower.

Blog Entries

Sam will be gone way before that. I don't see him making it past 15. Mingo gets more hype but Sam is a more complete player and has a shot to be a better pro
    I agree.

Mingo kind of reminds me of an Aaron Maybin type of DE. Long, lean, quick, good burst. However, I don't know that he could be an every down DE or 3-4 OLB. Sam Montgomery is definitely the better player.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Second round pick (Currently projected at 55):

Kevin Minter, 6'2, 245 lbs, Linebacker, LSU.

Kevin Minter is an underrated prospect, which is strange coming from a big school like LSU. I'm sure GOTA can provide some more inside info on him being a big LSU fan. He is more of a inside run defender than a guy who drops back into coverage, which I know is a big need, but he can probably still do that better than any LB we currently have anyway. We need to add some speed into this front 7 if we ever want to get back to playing elite defense, and drafting a Kevin Minter could be a good start to that. Minter is listed as 6'2, but he looks more along the lines of 6'1, but that shouldn't put many people off, as there are many 6'1 LB's who have had HOF careers, like someone we all know too well.
    I wasn't real big on Reddick out of UNC, but he has come on as of late. He started the season off slow, but as the season went on he made a lot of plays.

Reddick could also be an option.

Blog Entries

Minter is a good player but I think he'll be available further down the draft. Like you said he's short which isn't a problem. And yes, I don't believe he's 6'2. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a little over 6' at the Combine. However he's not lightening fast. He's very quick but he lacks that elite speed that teams are looking for from a shorter LB. That's what pushed other short ILB guys like Mychal Kendricks up in the draft. It's just a guess but I think the Combine is going push Minter down to the 3rd or 4th round. Some team is going to get a real bargain when they take him there.

Minter broke out this year and showed that he could shed blockers and tackle anything near him. He's what you want in the middle from a physical standpoint. Hard to tell if he's mentally up to the position. The adjustments aren't even close to the same level in college. He did end up as the clear leader of that defense this year so that's another quality you're looking for at MLB. I'd be happy to draft him especially in the 3rd or lower.
    That would be great if we could get him in the third round, would be a great value pick. So basically I as correct on my analyses that he's more of a run defending LB who's maybe a better fit as a 3-4 ILB like in our scheme rather than a speedy 4-3 LB who has to drop back into coverage etc? That's what I've seen of him anyway.

That's what I thought. There's easily three four ilbs in front of him. He won't be going in the second.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Arthur Brown imo is the best linebacker. I had him ahead of Mosley to. He's the one guy I want out of anyone.

What good pass rushers has Fisher faced in his career? That's the issue with him
    Maybe we could double up on LB's? I mean it is a big need IMO. I too like Arthur Brown a lot, but I'm not that sold on his size/physicality in our 3-4 scheme, worried about the big guards coming up and taking him out of the game. With that said, Timmons is probably the best ILB in the AFC North right now and plays in a similar scheme and is only 234 lbs, he reminds me of Arthur Brown, as does CJ Moseley.

Maybe we could double up on LB's? I mean it is a big need IMO. I too like Arthur Brown a lot, but I'm not that sold on his size/physicality in our 3-4 scheme, worried about the big guards coming up and taking him out of the game. With that said, Timmons is probably the best ILB in the AFC North right now and plays in a similar scheme and is only 234 lbs, he reminds me of Arthur Brown, as does CJ Moseley.
    Brown can take on blocks well, great use of his hands. Great instincts and play recognition all helps in avoiding blockers. He's an elite coverage player with great speed. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

Blog Entries

I think doubling up on linebackers is something that they should definitely consider. There are some good one's in this draft.

Blog Entries

I am also hoping that they switch to more of a 4-3 front...That would assist the pass rush a lot and would assist with covering the middle of the field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Brown can take on blocks well, great use of his hands. Great instincts and play recognition all helps in avoiding blockers. He's an elite coverage player with great speed. Exactly what the doctor ordered.
    True that. Maybe we could take him in the second, and hope that Minter drops to the fourth, and in the mean time we can get my boy out of Wisconsin in the third and a legit LT in the first round. Biggest needs are without doubt OL and LB, and this draft is stacked with both.