Page 318 of 333 FirstFirst ... 316317318319320 ... LastLast
Results 3,805 to 3,816 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I put him in the Keenan Allen camp. Big athletes playing receiver. To me, he never jumps out on film. Of course, he may have improved a good deal from 2011-2012.
    From what I've seen of Rogers makes me believe that he is a MUCH more polished player than Keenan Allen.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

From Roto:

ESPN's Adam Schefter says Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o will not make it out of the first-round.

This is a definitive statement from one of the most respected NFL insiders, so we will heed his advice moving forward. The most logical destinations are the Broncos at No. 28, the Falcons at No. 30, and the Ravens at No. 32. Te'o's 4.82 forty is being overblown, since he was never an overly athletic player on the field. He wins with play recognition and instincts. Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    So I'm pretty sure that this means that some team has clearly said to Schefter, "...yes, that's right, we will definitely select Te'o if he's on the board when we pick."; or words to that effect. We usually don't say a damn thing to anyone, so I would suspect HOU or ATL. I think DEN values a DB in the first.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 02-28-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Btw, from this particular game Gooden was taking on blocks nicely and looked like a force in run defense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Who else has stood out in the third round of the 2007 NFL draft then? Jacoby Jones was a serviceable depth receiver and good KR in Houston, and only really became something when he signed with the Ravens this season. To me, the 3rd round or 4th round is all about pissing in the wind with picks on players you think has a lot of potential, that is Zavier Gooden all over IMO. When you get past the 2nd round, it really is even more of a crap shoot.

I wasn't even annoyed btw, I'm just trying to defend poor old Zavier Gooden here because people think he's the next Tavares Gooden before he's even been given a shot!
    Totally disagree with your stance on 3rd round picks...it's not about who stands out to fans, it's that there are in fact really good players available in those rounds...and every draft virtually there are pro bowl level players being picked in those rounds. That's a fact.

And who cares if I think Zavier Gooden reminds people of Tavares Gooden? I never said "he will be the next Tavares Gooden". I said he "reminds" me of Tavares Gooden while making my bigger point about his lack of physicality and significant lack of football IQ...from what I've seen.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Totally disagree with your stance on 3rd round picks...it's not about who stands out to fans, it's that there are in fact really good players available in those rounds...and every draft virtually there are pro bowl level players being picked in those rounds. That's a fact.

And who cares if I think Zavier Gooden reminds people of Tavares Gooden? I never said "he will be the next Tavares Gooden". I said he "reminds" me of Tavares Gooden while making my bigger point about his lack of physicality and significant lack of football IQ...from what I've seen.
    Yeah one pro bowler out of 32 nearly every time, hence the term "crap shoot". We can agree to disagree, but I would bet a lot on Gooden going in the 3rd round or earlier.

He looked pretty physical against Goergia.

Btw, from this particular game Gooden was taking on blocks nicely and looked like a force in run defense.

FWIW...we've all seen most of the youtube vids of these guys...so I've definately seen this one.

If you think that video supports the idea that he takes on blocks well and looks like a force in the run game...well, I don't know what to say. The first half he was getting blown off the ball and making tackles (or being near the pile) 5-10 yards down the field. The second half of it was better, but he still was getting sealed off and really only made 2 "solo" tackles...one he did a nice job of fighting off the TE on the outside, and the other he wasn't blocked at all.

That hardly changes my opinion and in fact, that vid is part of what helped me form my initial opinion of him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Yeah one pro bowler out of 32 nearly every time, hence the term "crap shoot". We can agree to disagree, but I would bet a lot on Gooden going in the 3rd round or earlier.

He looked pretty physical against Goergia.
    Who said he wouldn't go in the 3rd lol? Are you actually reading my posts or skiming it and coming up with your own version of what I said?

I said I would not draft him in the 3rd, not that others wouldn't. I would never draft a kicker in the first round. The Raiders did...or a Punter in the 3rd...the Jags did.

Anyway who cares about pro bowls...I hate it when people use that popularity contest to support an argument on whether someone is a good player. Webbie has not made the pro bowl. And you don't have to be a pro bowl calibre player to be an important starter or part of a team...Eric Decker, Dennis Pitta, JD Walton, Mike Wallace...there are a Lot of good players in those rounds.

Blog Entries

FWIW...we've all seen most of the youtube vids of these guys...so I've definately seen this one.

If you think that video supports the idea that he takes on blocks well and looks like a force in the run game...well, I don't know what to say. The first half he was getting blown off the ball and making tackles (or being near the pile) 5-10 yards down the field. The second half of it was better, but he still was getting sealed off and really only made 2 "solo" tackles...one he did a nice job of fighting off the TE on the outside, and the other he wasn't blocked at all.

That hardly changes my opinion and in fact, that vid is part of what helped me form my initial opinion of him.
    Well I just watched some of the Alabama game on youtube and he looked lost in that game and struggled with what exactly what you're suggesting. He looked good against Clemson though.

Blog Entries

Who said he wouldn't go in the 3rd lol? Are you actually reading my posts or skiming it and coming up with your own version of what I said?

I said I would not draft him in the 3rd, not that others wouldn't. I would never draft a kicker in the first round. The Raiders did...or a Punter in the 3rd...the Jags did.

Anyway who cares about pro bowls...I hate it when people use that popularity contest to support an argument on whether someone is a good player. Webbie has not made the pro bowl. And you don't have to be a pro bowl calibre player to be an important starter or part of a team...Eric Decker, Dennis Pitta, JD Walton, Mike Wallace...there are a Lot of good players in those rounds.
    No I was just saying, that's where I think he's going to be drafted.

Blog Entries

One other thing I see with him is something I don't like about Minter as well. Both run to where the play is going giving the RB time to cut back for a decent gain.

As far as a run stuffer, I think Te'o is one of the better ones as he does not typically do that. The Alabama game was different because their O-line was so superior to ND's D-line that the holes were bigger than a normal game he played in and Lacy and Yeldon had tons of room to go around Te'o. If you watch he is there in the hole to stop them but they had to much room to make him miss.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I put him in the Keenan Allen camp. Big athletes playing receiver. To me, he never jumps out on film. Of course, he may have improved a good deal from 2011-2012. The only public tape that I am aware of on Rogers is vs. Oregon and I believe that was very early in the season.
    From what I've seen Rogers is definitely FAR more technically advanced than Keenan Allen. Route running, body control, quickness, and hands are all far superior, and Rogers is much more physical after the catch.

There isn't a ton of tape out there unfortunately, I've had to watch tape of other prospects and try to isolate #21. You can watch the Tyrann Mathieu vs. Tennessee tape from 2011 for a good look... Mathieu was matched up on him most of the game. Obviously Rogers ate him alive all game long.

I certainly don't think Rogers is in the class of day-one starters at WR (there are very few of them in this class IMO and the top guys like Patterson, Allen, and Hunter are all NOT in that group as far as I'm concerned). But I do think he could be a real force as the #3 receiver especially in the slot as soon as year one, and he could grab a starting job for a team looking for a physical, possession receiver (like the Ravens) by year 2.

Blog Entries

Don't watch stuff on WRs, I'm purely a trenches guy, but I'll go along with all of you and get on the Rogers bandwagon!