Page 296 of 333 FirstFirst ... 294295296297298 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,552 of 3987

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Don't fall in love with Armstead's speed. Watch the film and fall in love with his FEET.
    Agreed, and in that respect, a much more important measurable number than the 40 is the 10 yard split and the 3-cone time. I know Armstead's 10 yard split was best or 2nd best among all OL which illustrates his foot speed. I haven't seen the 3 cone times yet but I'm sure his time will be outstanding. Phenomenal athlete and IMO worthy of a 3rd or potentially even 2nd round pick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

I kinda disagree with you here. When Percy Harvin was healthy earlier in the year he was playing at an MVP level (no exaggeration at all) and that was with a scrub like Ponder at QB and the REAL MVP in the backfield. Guys like Harvin don't have elite measurables and NFL body types, so they're at a risk to bust in the NFL, but how they're used is as big a factor as anything else in their potential success.

Look at the history of the "gadget" player in the NFL, and particularly look at two guys: Dexter McCluster and Darren Sproles. McCluster has been a bust in the NFL, but is that because of him or because the Chiefs had one of the worst coaching staffs in the NFL? They wanted him to be either a traditional RB or a traditional WR and just jammed him into the offense instead of building totally around him. I'm also not sure that he's a comparable talent in terms of athletic ability and speed to the other guys, but smarter coaches could get more out of him.

Darren Sproles is the same way. He was decent for San Diego, but they basically asked him to be a change of pace RB and returner, nothing else. He goes to New Orleans on a cheap contract and they go out of their way to get him in space all over the field in all different kinds of ways, and he leads the NFL in total yards. He might be New Orleans' best or 2nd best passing game talent at this point (behind Jimmy Graham.)

I believe Jim Caldwell is a smart and creative enough coordinator to understand that Tavon Austin is not a player who you can just line up inside and outside and ask to run traditional routes, and take a handoff up the middle once or twice a game. Think how dangerous this offense became when Caldwell committed to letting his players do what they did best: Flacco get into a rhythm and then start throwing deep, Boldin working out of the slot, etc. and then think of what this offense could do adding a talent like Austin.

Still not sure I'd want him in the 1st, but this offense could be outrageous with Tavon Austin.
    I dont disagree with any of that.

Again, I like Austin. He is a heck of a player. I just dont think any team is going to spend a 1st round pick on a 5'8" slot receiver.

If the Ravens take him, I hope it is in the 2nd. That is where I see him going.

I dont understand why some seem to think that if I say Austin wont be a first rounder, I am saying he isnt a good player or wont be a good player for the Ravens.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Agreed, and in that respect, a much more important measurable number than the 40 is the 10 yard split and the 3-cone time. I know Armstead's 10 yard split was best or 2nd best among all OL which illustrates his foot speed. I haven't seen the 3 cone times yet but I'm sure his time will be outstanding. Phenomenal athlete and IMO worthy of a 3rd or potentially even 2nd round pick.
    I hate making big opinions based off of youtube highlight tapes, but Armsteads videos looked like he definitely has good LT feet.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I dont disagree with any of that.

Again, I like Austin. He is a heck of a player. I just dont think any team is going to spend a 1st round pick on a 5'8" slot receiver.

If the Ravens take him, I hope it is in the 2nd. That is where I see him going.

I dont understand why some seem to think that if I say Austin wont be a first rounder, I am saying he isnt a good player or wont be a good player for the Ravens.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. I would LIKE to see the Ravens get him in the 2nd. But if he runs a really good 40 he's not going to be around in the 2nd IMO and he might not even be around for #32. If he's there at 32, why not just take him? If you have 3 guys at the top of your big board and one of them is Austin (who you have an early to mid 2nd round grade on) are you really going to kick yourself for taking him 10 spots too early?

It's going to depend on who's on the board, of course... but Austin is a legit possibility in the 1st.

Tons of smoke still wafting around about Jarvis Jones dropping way down due to medical and measurables concerns. Both PFT and Rotoworld are reporting that he is totally off of several teams' draft boards and many scouts feel he will test very unimpressively in the 40, etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... this sounds eerily familiar. I just have a vision of Jarvis Jones totally falling in the draft and sitting there at #32. SUCH a typical Ravens pick and one that if I were Ozzie I'd have the card in within 2 seconds. I don't care what a bunch of other stupid teams think... if his medical checks out, even if he needs to be monitored and presents a little risk, I have an enormous man crush on Jarvis Jones. My top defensive player in the draft IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I hate making big opinions based off of youtube highlight tapes, but Armsteads videos looked like he definitely has good LT feet.

Dig. There's a cat out there on YT "phillyjimmyfilms" that posts only FCS propspects and he has offensive game tape on guys like Armstead. His lateral speed is apparent too. So odd seeing a big fella like that move so well.

Tons of smoke still wafting around about Jarvis Jones dropping way down due to medical and measurables concerns. Both PFT and Rotoworld are reporting that he is totally off of several teams' draft boards and many scouts feel he will test very unimpressively in the 40, etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... this sounds eerily familiar. I just have a vision of Jarvis Jones totally falling in the draft and sitting there at #32. SUCH a typical Ravens pick and one that if I were Ozzie I'd have the card in within 2 seconds. I don't care what a bunch of other stupid teams think... if his medical checks out, even if he needs to be monitored and presents a little risk, I have an enormous man crush on Jarvis Jones. My top defensive player in the draft IMO.
    Uh, if Jarvis Jones falls to Ozzie, it will be one of the greatest highway robberies in draft history.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I saw that earlier and thought the same thing. Watch him fall to us and become an All-Pro.

Blog Entries

What are the chances that Ozzie is one of those guys who has taken Jones off of his board, due to medical reasons?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    What are the chances that Ozzie is one of those guys who has taken Jones off of his board, due to medical reasons?
    It could absolutely be the case, but we probably won't know until after the draft if at all. We know Ozzie had taken Gronkowski off his board in 2010 due to medical (he failed the Ravens' physical) and I'm sure he regrets that.

The doctors at Georgia cleared Jones to play and he had no problems whatsoever. He has a chronic back condition and will need to be monitored in the NFL, but it's not like he missed any time with it, or that it affects him at all. He should be fine.

11. Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

I was thinking the same about Jones, talent wise that'd be an amazing steal. I don't know if it happens, and maybe his back is something to be real concerned about for teams, but it didn't seem to ail him this past season at Georgia.

It could absolutely be the case, but we probably won't know until after the draft if at all. We know Ozzie had taken Gronkowski off his board in 2010 due to medical (he failed the Ravens' physical) and I'm sure he regrets that.
    Probably, but he didn't take Dan Cody or Sergio Kindle off his board for medical reasons, drafted them, and then probably regretted those decisions, too (although ultimately Kindle's medical red flags weren't the issue with him). When it comes to medical issues, those things are very tricky. It's almost always high risk/high reward. Hopefully if the Ravens go in one of those directions, it will end up high reward.