Page 295 of 333 FirstFirst ... 293294295296297 ... LastLast
Results 3,529 to 3,540 of 3987

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

We're strapped for cash and we'll find starters in FA? I just don't see it. Maybe we may find one or 2 guys to compete but that's probably it. Ellerbe and Flacco will command the majority of our FA cash. Our run D was awful last year. To make it worse, we play the Vikings and Texans this year. I think the Ravens see defense as a priority this year.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Where did I say that any of that wasn't true? I even said that needs actually affect the board, but when people say things like "WR in the first round wouldn't make sense because of defensive needs" that is totally against Ozzies philosophy on the draft. Ozzie will fill those defensive needs with starters in FA, and maybe go into the draft with one or two glaring holes.
    i jsut quoted where you said Ozze never thinks of need during the drat... which is patently false. Maybe you just meant to word it a different way.

For Example, When Will Demps let, everyoen thought we needed a SS early, but we waited to take Dawan Landry until the 5th, because that is where the value was. A coupel years ago, myself and most of the board thoguht CB was ourbigest need, meanwhile Oz did not draft one, instead trading back with Chris Cook, Patrick Robinson, Devin McCourty and KyleWilson all still on the board. We went out and traded for Josh Wilson a month or two later to remedy that situation.

He won't reach to get what is an obvious need, meanwhile he won't pass up a special talent from a relatively deep position on our roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    i jsut quoted where you said Ozze never thinks of need during the drat... which is patently false. Maybe you just meant to word it a different way.

For Example, When Will Demps let, everyoen thought we needed a SS early, but we waited to take Dawan Landry until the 5th, because that is where the value was. A coupel years ago, myself and most of the board thoguht CB was ourbigest need, meanwhile Oz did not draft one, instead trading back with Chris Cook, Patrick Robinson, Devin McCourty and KyleWilson all still on the board. We went out and traded for Josh Wilson a month or two later to remedy that situation.

He won't reach to get what is an obvious need, meanwhile he won't pass up a special talent from a relatively deep position on our roster.
    I agree, I just worded it badly.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    Cobb was drafted at the end of rd 2. If Austin is as good as everyone says, then he won't be there in the 2nd rd.
    He will blow up the combine in the 40 and the cone drills, and Pete Carroll will grab in with the 25th pick, so the Ravens won't have to worry about it anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Percy Harvin, ted ginn...
    Percy Harvin is 5'11" andthe has about 10-15 pounds on Austin.

Ginn is also 5'11".

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Percy Harvin is 5'11" andthe has about 10-15 pounds on Austin.

Ginn is also 5'11".
    Dexter McCluster is the only recent guy I can think of off the top of my head that was 5' 8" and went in the top 50 picks.

Blog Entries

I want the Ravens to take Terron Armstead with their second round pick. This dude is a 6'5" 306 lb OT who ran a crazy 4.65 40 yard dash at the Combine. He was considered to be a solid third round pick even before that 40 time, but could move up into the second round as a result. He played well at the Shrine Game, and held his own at the Senior Bowl. He is one of the top small school prospects this year, and has great upside. I would take him if he is there with the Ravens second round pick. You can't teach that kind of athletic ability, and face it, finding a LT where the Ravens pick will be a crap shoot anyway.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=OT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post

Dexter McCluster is the only recent guy I can think of off the top of my head that was 5' 8" and went in the top 50 picks.
    Still not a 1 st rounder though.

Austin is obviously better than McCluster, but the reality is that Austin is going to have to go to an offense that specially designs plays for him like WVU did.

I am not convinced that is something or someone you spend a first on.

The Vikes and Harvin are a great example, actually. He is a dynamic player, but even as good as he is the Vikes are still seriously lacking at receiver and need a guy who can be a #1 or #2.

The reason why I think Austin will fall into the second is because there are some really solid WR prospects who will likely go before him. Patterson, Allen, Hunter, and Hopkins to name a few.

Don't fall in love with Armstead's speed. Watch the film and fall in love with his FEET.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I want the Ravens to take Terron Armstead with their second round pick. This dude is a 6'5" 306 lb OT who ran a crazy 4.65 40 yard dash at the Combine. He was considered to be a solid third round pick even before that 40 time, but could move up into the second round as a result. He played well at the Shrine Game, and held his own at the Senior Bowl. He is one of the top small school prospects this year, and has great upside. I would take him if he is there with the Ravens second round pick. You can't teach that kind of athletic ability, and face it, finding a LT where the Ravens pick will be a crap shoot anyway.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=OT
    Tarvares Gooden was also incredibly athletic.

I'm just saying. Incredible athleticism doesnt mean someone is a good football player.

I like Armstead. Not sure if he is a 2nd rounder. Maybe.

Blog Entries

Tarvares Gooden was also incredibly athletic.

I'm just saying. Incredible athleticism doesnt mean someone is a good football player.

I like Armstead. Not sure if he is a 2nd rounder. Maybe.

I agree that he may be a stretch at the top of the second round based on game film, but the Ravens have the last pick in the second round. He has very good feet, is fluid in motion, and played very well at the Shrine game and at the Senior Bowl. The Ravens need a LT, and IMO this guy has the potential to be something special
    He is raw, but could be worth a shot at the end of the second round.

Still not a 1 st rounder though.

Austin is obviously better than McCluster, but the reality is that Austin is going to have to go to an offense that specially designs plays for him like WVU did.

I am not convinced that is something or someone you spend a first on.

The Vikes and Harvin are a great example, actually. He is a dynamic player, but even as good as he is the Vikes are still seriously lacking at receiver and need a guy who can be a #1 or #2.

The reason why I think Austin will fall into the second is because there are some really solid WR prospects who will likely go before him. Patterson, Allen, Hunter, and Hopkins to name a few.

I kinda disagree with you here. When Percy Harvin was healthy earlier in the year he was playing at an MVP level (no exaggeration at all) and that was with a scrub like Ponder at QB and the REAL MVP in the backfield. Guys like Harvin don't have elite measurables and NFL body types, so they're at a risk to bust in the NFL, but how they're used is as big a factor as anything else in their potential success.

Look at the history of the "gadget" player in the NFL, and particularly look at two guys: Dexter McCluster and Darren Sproles. McCluster has been a bust in the NFL, but is that because of him or because the Chiefs had one of the worst coaching staffs in the NFL? They wanted him to be either a traditional RB or a traditional WR and just jammed him into the offense instead of building totally around him. I'm also not sure that he's a comparable talent in terms of athletic ability and speed to the other guys, but smarter coaches could get more out of him.

Darren Sproles is the same way. He was decent for San Diego, but they basically asked him to be a change of pace RB and returner, nothing else. He goes to New Orleans on a cheap contract and they go out of their way to get him in space all over the field in all different kinds of ways, and he leads the NFL in total yards. He might be New Orleans' best or 2nd best passing game talent at this point (behind Jimmy Graham.)

I believe Jim Caldwell is a smart and creative enough coordinator to understand that Tavon Austin is not a player who you can just line up inside and outside and ask to run traditional routes, and take a handoff up the middle once or twice a game. Think how dangerous this offense became when Caldwell committed to letting his players do what they did best: Flacco get into a rhythm and then start throwing deep, Boldin working out of the slot, etc. and then think of what this offense could do adding a talent like Austin.

Still not sure I'd want him in the 1st, but this offense could be outrageous with Tavon Austin.