Page 293 of 333 FirstFirst ... 291292293294295 ... LastLast
Results 3,505 to 3,516 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They all come out with high demands for guys they need to move, declaring that they won't move them for less than 'xyz'.

At the end of the day, they have to move Smith. They'll take what they can get. If KC gives them a fourth, they'll take it. That makes Joekel a Chief, Albert a FA and Long a less expensive FA that could join the Ravens.
    I think any team that falls for the fool's gold of Smith will regret it. He is not a good QB IMO.

Blog Entries

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Word circulating through some teams that the cap could wind up being set around $123M, higher than expected. Some are skeptical. We'll see.

At the end of the day, they have to move Smith. They'll take what they can get.
    They are tight against the cap, but in terms of the QB position, they are getting a relative bargain. Kaepernick makes peanuts, so Alex Smith and his $8M doesn't really kill them. And with a running QB like Kaepernick, it would be a nice luxury to keep Smith as a backup - just in case of injury to Kaepernick.

Besides, knowing that San Francisco may not want to pay a backup QB $8M and might not want that on the roster, wouldn't teams just wait it out until the 49ers waived Smith? Then those teams could negotiate a more cap-friendly contract and not have to give up a draft pick at all.

Blog Entries

Exactly. The 49ers combined QB spending is still average. It's just that the backup makes startup money and the starter makes backup money. But the total position expense is no big deal.

And since Harbaugh has been coach, Smith is 20-6 as the QB, with a 90+ QB rating and a 30-10 TD/Int ratio. Smith is another guy who's fine, talent wise, but hasn't had the right scheme to feature in, til Harbaugh got there.

Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if Kap started to suck and Harbaugh switched back to Smith at some point.

Kap has 10 starts in his career. He's bound to tip his hand at some point. Like, you know, doing something stupid like tapping his helmet on 4th and goal in the Super Bowl and telling the defense what play he's calling.. It's not far fetched. A year ago, people couldn't STFU about Cam Newton. Anyone remember that? No? Amazing how fast we forget. Cam Newton is a freaking afterthought now. Today's hot ticket is tomorrow's nobody. SF probably won't admit it, but Smith nearly had them in the SB last year, and probably would have had the same production Kap had this year had he not got hurt. Fact is, they don't want to part with him. He's too good --- what are they going to do, trade him and sign Curtis Painter as a backup and use the cap savings to add a safety?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Kap has 10 starts in his career. He's bound to tip his hand at some point. Like, you know, doing something stupid like tapping his helmet on 4th and goal in the Super Bowl and telling the defense what play he's calling.. It's not far fetched. A year ago, people couldn't STFU about Cam Newton. Anyone remember that? No? Amazing how fast we forget. Cam Newton is a freaking afterthought now. Today's hot ticket is tomorrow's nobody. SF probably won't admit it, but Smith nearly had them in the SB last year, and probably would have had the same production Kap had this year had he not got hurt. Fact is, they don't want to part with him. He's too good --- what are they going to do, trade him and sign Curtis Painter as a backup and use the cap savings to add a safety?
    Agree. We complain about the Evans drop and the Cundiff shank... the Niners were two fumbles on punt returns away from beating the Giants. Put anyone in to return punts besides Kyle Williams and the Niners were probably in the SB last year...

There may be players in this draft with comparable measurable features and speed as Tavon Austin, but I don't see the WR in this draft with that, plus so many of the intangible attributes that he brings to the table. His instincts, vision and savvy, in my opinion, set him apart from the crowd. His ability to set up blocks when he's in space and even use his quickness to set up running lanes in open space.

He just has way too many elements to his game that can't be taught. I don't know if he will be available in the first or the second, but he needs to be drafted by the Ravens.
    I've gotta give it to you Ex, once you become attached to a player you go all in. First Moss, now Austin. With all of the needs on defense, I highly doubt Austin comes to Baltimore.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Austin is an intriguing prospect but I'll play devil's advocate. Why do some doubt Teo because of the Bama game but yet no one mentions the competition that Austin played against. Do they even still play defense in the Big 12? I just don't get the lovefest with a 5'8' slot WR. IMO he's no better than R. Cobb. Packers got Cobb after they won the SB. They seemed to fall in love with offense and forgot about their defensive issues. Unless Austin can play FS, MLB, or NT then I'll pass.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    First Moss, now Austin. With all of the needs on defense, I highly doubt Austin comes to Baltimore.
    If Austin is on the board and is the BPA at the time, Ozzie will turn his card in for Tavon Austin. For the last time, Ozzie never thinks of needs in the draft, thats what FA is for. Ozzie even said that if there is a shot at getting an offensive difference maker, they will not hesitate.

Ozzie even said once that he likes the idea of not having to start any rookie at all.

Blog Entries

Btw guys, I'm just thinking here, if the Ravens are really interested in DJ Fluker and have him high on their board, maybe that could mean DJ Fluker to RT, and KO to LT, while Oher could move inside?

That would be the best move IMO, you wouldn't have to re-sign McKinnie and use that extra bit of cap room on a defensive player. KO had moments of excellence at RT, but also had some bad games there. KO has the length and size to be a perfect LT in a power blocking scheme, which the Ravens pretty much 100 % run, apart from the odd ZBS play. Both DJ Fluker and KO have insane arm length, imagine having that as your book ends, with Oher, Yanda, and Gino inside.

10. Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

So what are the odds that Leach comes back in 2013? I'm guessing slim and none. With all the comp picks we've got, there will probably be a FB in 5th or 6th around that could fill that diminishing role in our offense as we move towards more 3 WR sets. It'd suck losing Vonta because he's always played like a Raven.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I think any team that falls for the fool's gold of Smith will regret it. He is not a good QB IMO.
    I can see where you are coming from, but is it really falling for fool's gold for a fourth round pick?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    Austin is an intriguing prospect but I'll play devil's advocate. Why do some doubt Teo because of the Bama game but yet no one mentions the competition that Austin played against. Do they even still play defense in the Big 12? I just don't get the lovefest with a 5'8' slot WR. IMO he's no better than R. Cobb. Packers got Cobb after they won the SB. They seemed to fall in love with offense and forgot about their defensive issues. Unless Austin can play FS, MLB, or NT then I'll pass.
    Who was here to tell you that Donta' Hightower would impress over Vontaze Burfict, leading up to the draft? The Patriots not only took him in the first round, but moved up to get him while Burfict went undrafted.

Who was here telling everyone that Courtney Upshaw was exactly the type of player the Ravens would draft, when most were saying that he didn't have the athleticism to be successful at the NFL level?

Who was the one telling you that multiple teams would be interested in Randy Moss, when no one thought he would even get a phone call?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore