Page 29 of 266 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 3987
  1. #421
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread



    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Todd McShay says a lot of really dumb stuff, but he's been right before even when he went against the grain. He said Jimmy Clausen would bust and everybody ripped him for that but he was absolutely dead on. But I totally agree with you that he's dead wrong about Corey Lemonier, I don't like Lemonier as a player pretty much at all and he's definitely not a 1st rounder. I was just pointing out that mocking a DE/OLB to us in the 1st SEEMS like a long shot right now because we have so many other needs, but that I actually understand it as long as it's the BPA. We have a need there that people aren't paying attention to.

    I actually think it's probably about 50/50 whether Suggs ever plays at 2010/2011 DPOY type level again. People look at him and say, "oh he's only 30 he'll be good another 3 or 4 years" but the dude has been in the league 10 years already and has a TON of wear on his body. Now he rushed back from an Achilles, still isn't really in shape at all, and is trying to deal with a torn biceps (and playing with a torn biceps could cause permanent damage).

    I'm calling it 50/50 because I don't want to ever bet against Suggs... but I think there's a good chance he never plays at his best level again. This team needs an insurance policy and to groom a potential successor before it becomes too late. Just look at what happened to this team counting on Ray Lewis and Ed Reed to come back year after year without ever grooming their replacements... that approach hasn't been successful.
    I don't think this is the year for it though, too many needs man.




  2. #422
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Todd McShay is an idiot and doesn't know much more than we do if at all. Corey is a 3rd round projection IMO, to even consider him as a first round pick for us is complete stupidity IMO. I actually am willing to bet money that Suggs will be back strong by next season, he's a beast.
    Suggs is a hell of a player, but bmorecareful does bring up a good point about his age and how long he's been in the league. By the time next season starts, he'll have been in the league for 10 years. That is a lot of wear and tear on anyone's body. While he has never really had any major injuries prior to this past season, you do have to wonder when he is going to start breaking down and whether or not the Ravens should consider dialing his snaps back a bit. IF that is something that they're considering, then yes, taking a DE/Pass rusher should be something that they may consider.

    I don't care for Corey Lemonier, but Dion Jordan, Bjoern Werner, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah...

    A dark horse DE I really like is Will Sutton out of Arizona State. 6'2" 271lbs and he's pretty quick. He will probably be available in the 4th or 5th rounds. We could also take a flier on Brandon Jenkins out of Florida State. Prior to getting hurt, he was one of the top rated DE/Rush OLB prospects in the country. Right up there with Sam Montgomery.

    Another guy I like is John Simon out of Ohio State. 6'2" 265lbs, nice motor. Nice pass rushing moves.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #423
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Yeah, Ansah and Dion Jordan are the guys I'm really interested in, but these guys are first round picks, and we need a LT more than pass rushers IMO. You go on about Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs' replacement, well where has JO's replacement been? Michael Oher is a guard or a RT, we need a big bad ultra athletic LT more than a pass rusher IMO. Paul Kruger for example has looked good this year as a pass rusher, now I'm not saying he's our next Suggs, but i think him and Upshaw can pick up the slack for any risk of Suggs never being the same, while we wait for perhaps next year to pick a pass rusher up.




  4. #424

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yeah, Ansah and Dion Jordan are the guys I'm really interested in, but these guys are first round picks, and we need a LT more than pass rushers IMO. You go on about Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs' replacement, well where has JO's replacement been? Michael Oher is a guard or a RT, we need a big bad ultra athletic LT more than a pass rusher IMO. Paul Kruger for example has looked good this year as a pass rusher, now I'm not saying he's our next Suggs, but i think him and Upshaw can pick up the slack for any risk of Suggs never being the same, while we wait for perhaps next year to pick a pass rusher up.
    I get you 100%, and I agree, but you know as well as I do that if all the 1st round LT prospects are off the board at #25 Ozzie isn't going to reach because of a need. He's going to take the BPA and hope the BPA in the next round is a LT. If they feel that a guy like Oday Aboushi (who is a legit LT prospect IMO but not quite a 1st rounder) will be around in the 2nd, they'll just try to get him there instead of reaching.

    If the 4 1st round OTs are off the board at #25 and a guy like Ezekiel Ansah or Sam Montgomery is there, I'm probably turning the card in with their name on it, or maybe trading down. This is Ozzie's MO... when teams ahead of him start reaching like crazy he takes advantage and gets a more talented player than he ought to be able to.

    Another thing is after reading a bunch of draft stuff and watching tape I actually think Manti Te'o is the only ILB in the draft with a legit 1st round grade. I don't think a guy like Alec Ogletree is going to be the BPA at #25, he's more like the #40 or so prospect in the draft, and I don't want Ozzie to reach.

    EDIT: Another thing that I forgot to mention in response to your post is that Kruger is a free agent anyway. REALLY think he's going to walk because a team like Indianapolis, Arizona, or (insert one of 15 or so teams here) is going to see his tape rushing the passer and offer him starting DE/OLB money that we can't match.




  5. #425
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I get you 100%, and I agree, but you know as well as I do that if all the 1st round LT prospects are off the board at #25 Ozzie isn't going to reach because of a need. He's going to take the BPA and hope the BPA in the next round is a LT. If they feel that a guy like Oday Aboushi (who is a legit LT prospect IMO but not quite a 1st rounder) will be around in the 2nd, they'll just try to get him there instead of reaching.

    If the 4 1st round OTs are off the board at #25 and a guy like Ezekiel Ansah or Sam Montgomery is there, I'm probably turning the card in with their name on it, or maybe trading down. This is Ozzie's MO... when teams ahead of him start reaching like crazy he takes advantage and gets a more talented player than he ought to be able to.

    Another thing is after reading a bunch of draft stuff and watching tape I actually think Manti Te'o is the only ILB in the draft with a legit 1st round grade. I don't think a guy like Alec Ogletree is going to be the BPA at #25, he's more like the #40 or so prospect in the draft, and I don't want Ozzie to reach.

    EDIT: Another thing that I forgot to mention in response to your post is that Kruger is a free agent anyway. REALLY think he's going to walk because a team like Indianapolis, Arizona, or (insert one of 15 or so teams here) is going to see his tape rushing the passer and offer him starting DE/OLB money that we can't match.
    I wouldn't ever take a ILB in the first round either, unless a Manti Teo did end up falling to us. You can find all pro ILB's in the 2nd round, like Sean Lee.

    These days, when it's the first round, it has to be OL, DL or QB. I'm a big believer in the trenches, and unless it is clearly the BPA at another position like safety or ILB, like a Mark Barron or a Manti two, it has to be that way.




  6. #426

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Oh, and one other thing: this team is going to have A LOT of compensatory picks this year, I think they'll get the max of 4, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get say a 3rd, two 4ths, and a 5th. We should get somebody more knowledgeable about that subject like Ravor to address the topic but we lost 5 guys who have all started a ton of games elsewhere (Grubbs, Johnson, Redding, Zibby, Nakamura) and I know the formula goes by how many FAs you lost, how big contracts they signed, and how many games they started.

    We can't trade the comp picks, but we also have all 7 of our normal picks so with a grand total of 11 picks I think you'll see us making a lot of moves and grabbing a lot of guys.




  7. #427
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    I just hope that Ozzie doesn't bargain-barrel-shop.

    With the way that the rookie contracts are structured now, reaching for a guy is a lot less risky.

    If in round 1 the guy they want is there and will likely be there for another 10 or so picks...just take him. Why chance it?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  8. #428
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,126
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I just hope that Ozzie doesn't bargain-barrel-shop.

    With the way that the rookie contracts are structured now, reaching for a guy is a lot less risky.

    If in round 1 the guy they want is there and will likely be there for another 10 or so picks...just take him. Why chance it?
    Same here. I'm tired of this trading back for more picks when they don't get anyone worth a damn. We need to fill some major holes, and if that means trading up I'm all for it.




  9. #429
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Same here. I'm tired of this trading back for more picks when they don't get anyone worth a damn. We need to fill some major holes, and if that means trading up I'm all for it.
    Just getting a legit LT prospect would cure a lot of issues on the OL.


    I'm still reading a lot of stuff indicating that Jake Long is damn near out the door in Miami.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #430
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,126
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just getting a legit LT prospect would cure a lot of issues on the OL.


    I'm still reading a lot of stuff indicating that Jake Long is damn near out the door in Miami.
    Agreed. Jake Long would solve a lot of issues.




  11. #431
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,173
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just getting a legit LT prospect would cure a lot of issues on the OL.


    I'm still reading a lot of stuff indicating that Jake Long is damn near out the door in Miami.
    Getting Jake Long would require Flacco being signed long term before the FA period. Past history shows us that it's likely he'll get a tag and then a deal later in the summer. I really hope they buck that trend this year.




  12. #432
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Getting Jake Long would require Flacco being signed long term before the FA period. Past history shows us that it's likely he'll get a tag and then a deal later in the summer. I really hope they buck that trend this year.
    They very well could buck that trend. Flacco lost pretty much any negotiating leverage for a mega deal this year. However, the Ravens would be in much worse shape without him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is signed before the FA period hits.

    This is a pretty pivotal contract, because it will really limit/open up doors for the Ravens.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  13. #433

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just getting a legit LT prospect would cure a lot of issues on the OL.


    I'm still reading a lot of stuff indicating that Jake Long is damn near out the door in Miami.
    Long's last two seasons are alarming when compared to his first three.
    Hates being in MIA? Breaking down? Came off the juice?
    As badly as I want a good tackle in here, I would steer clear of him.
    Let the Raiders take him.




  14. #434

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Oh, and one other thing: this team is going to have A LOT of compensatory picks this year, I think they'll get the max of 4, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get say a 3rd, two 4ths, and a 5th. We should get somebody more knowledgeable about that subject like Ravor to address the topic but we lost 5 guys who have all started a ton of games elsewhere (Grubbs, Johnson, Redding, Zibby, Nakamura) and I know the formula goes by how many FAs you lost, how big contracts they signed, and how many games they started.

    We can't trade the comp picks, but we also have all 7 of our normal picks so with a grand total of 11 picks I think you'll see us making a lot of moves and grabbing a lot of guys.
    Root for Grubbs to close out the season on fire...I would think we are close to a 3rd rounder for him.

    Looking at the flexibility of 11 picks (especially if we get a comp 3rd), it's not far fetched to envision Ozzie with three 2nds. Now I don't want him to trade down again at all (although if we land KC's Albert, I would welcome it); but looking at 2011's draft, I think we'd all be good with Upshaw, KO and Lavonte David (<--- three 2nd rounders from 2012).




  15. #435
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,038
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just getting a legit LT prospect would cure a lot of issues on the OL.


    I'm still reading a lot of stuff indicating that Jake Long is damn near out the door in Miami.
    The reason that Long is out the door is because he's played very poorly. My best friend is big Dolphins fan and he hates Long. He told me that Long was tremendous his rookie season and began to slip in big way by year 3. Given the amount of money he's going to get I wouldn't touch him. It's not as if we're going to be able to afford him anyway.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland