Page 286 of 333 FirstFirst ... 284285286287288 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,432 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with this. I think the Steelers will be looking for more of a "complete" back who can take a carry the distance or pound it between the tackles as necessary. They really need a "feature" guy, not just a pounder. I see Bell being primarily a "pounder" in the NFL.

If I were the Steelers FO I would target Giovani Bernard out of NC or Mike Gillislee out of Florida in the 2nd; or Jonathan Franklin out of UCLA in the 3rd. They could even take more of a pure speed guy like Andre Ellington or Kenjon Barner.
    It's been an interesting process for the Steelers, with their RBs. First, they had Bettis, but nobody to bring some speed and quick scoring ability. They get Willie Parker and the tandem helps them win a Super Bowl. Bettis retires, and they then have to deal with Parker, without the power back for short yardage situations. Parker couldn't handle the load and stayed injured. Then, Mendenhall shows up and he was supposed to be the guy that they will probably be looking for in this draft. He can't stay healthy either. Now, they are full of power back skill again.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Hadley Engelhard, Dannell Ellerbe's agent, on talks with Ravens: 'They're focusing on the Flacco issue. The next focal point is Dannell'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Many more meetings planned between Ravens and linebacker Dannell Ellerbe's agent going forward

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Never said a power back is a need at all either. Ozzie doesn't draft for needs though, especially when it's a 4th round pick.
    This year I disagree with that. With what we are likely to lose via retirements and free agency, cap casualty etc. the 4th round could bring someone who could be starting game or two...

Blog Entries

Another reason to believe that the Steelers will take a scat back (likely one of the guys bmorecareful mentioned), is that they are moving over to the ZBS. I actually expect the Steelers to really change their identity to more of a finesse team in 2013, I'm not sure how that fits in the AFCN. We shall see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with this. I think the Steelers will be looking for more of a "complete" back who can take a carry the distance or pound it between the tackles as necessary. They really need a "feature" guy, not just a pounder. I see Bell being primarily a "pounder" in the NFL.

If I were the Steelers FO I would target Giovani Bernard out of NC or Mike Gillislee out of Florida in the 2nd; or Jonathan Franklin out of UCLA in the 3rd. They could even take more of a pure speed guy like Andre Ellington or Kenjon Barner.
    The Steelers have a lot of holes to fill, so it'll be interesting to see what they do. Barner is getting some buzz as being faster than expected -- and everyone knew he was fast, but I guess with DeAnthony Thomas and all the sprinters they have, Barner didn't look like a blazer in context.

Barner is probably their best fit, but I like Ellington the best of those backs. Bernard and Barner are kind of a 2a/2b for me. I would guess that a team like Pitt would prefer the more solidly built, but still fast Barner to the explosive but somewhat injury prone Ellington.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Hadley Engelhard, Dannell Ellerbe's agent, on talks with Ravens: 'They're focusing on the Flacco issue. The next focal point is Dannell'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Many more meetings planned between Ravens and linebacker Dannell Ellerbe's agent going forward
    This fall in line with what Shannon Sharpe said, which was that Joe Flacco and Dannell Ellerbe are the team's top two priorities at the moment.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Another reason to believe that the Steelers will take a scat back (likely one of the guys bmorecareful mentioned), is that they are moving over to the ZBS. I actually expect the Steelers to really change their identity to more of a finesse team in 2013, I'm not sure how that fits in the AFCN. We shall see.
    If that is the case (didn't know about them going to ZBS) I'd say Barner would be their guy then, because at Oregon he was one cut and gone. Out of all the backs, I'd say he gets going upfield the quickest. Wastes no time at all.

Only caveat is he ran that style out of the read option, so he might not see the field the same way in the pros. Pitt isn't going to run that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    This year I disagree with that. With what we are likely to lose via retirements and free agency, cap casualty etc. the 4th round could bring someone who could be starting game or two...
    The Ravens will not be going into the 4th round with intentions of said player starting straight away, no matter how many "needs" we have. I can guarantee you that. There have been much worse years in terms of needs and holes, 2007 is a good example of that, yet we took a RB in the 2nd round when we already had a pro bowler at RB. We also took a safety in the 3rd round when we already had Reed and Dawan Landry. When you think of our holes, it depends on who we re-sign to begin with. It looks like at least Flacco and Ellerbe will be re-signed. I think Kurger and Williams are gone, but we have players ready to replace them. FS could be a huge hole, but I see the Ravens either re-signing Reed or signing a vet. I would bet my mortgage on the Ravens not going into the draft without a legit starting FS on the roster. DT is purely an upgrade required type posistion. We could essentially go into 2013 with Cody as the starting NT and not be in that bad shape, it wouldn't be ideal, but its not a terrible thing either. I expect the Ravens to sign someone like Knighton or Patt Simms to be the 2 down NT.

OT could be a need, and you just don't know what's going to happen with McKinnie, but I think he's another guy the Ravens will bring back in the end.

So assuming all that happens, we are in pretty much the same circumstance as we have been in the last few years with very little key "needs", and with that said, Ozzie will continue with his BPA approach, which is without question, the correct approach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This fall in line with what Shannon Sharpe said, which was that Joe Flacco and Dannell Ellerbe are the team's top two priorities at the moment.
    Yep that appears to be the case which is what I expected. Kruger and Williams will be overpaid by some team.

Blog Entries

Out of all our younger defensive players, I generally believe Ellerbe could be that next real impact Ravens player like Ngata and Suggs is, he is young and has heaps of potential to get even better. He just needs to stay healthy and committed in the offseason to keeping in shape.

Blog Entries

The Ravens will not be going into the 4th round with intentions of said player starting straight away, no matter how many "needs" we have. I can guarantee you that.
    "who could be starting a game or two"

While no one past the 3rd round started this year, KO started every game this year and Pierce played in more than his share.

So assuming all that happens, we are in pretty much the same circumstance as we have been in the last few years with very little key "needs", and with that said, Ozzie will continue with his BPA approach, which is without question, the correct approach.
    We'll see. We've never had to deal with a huge cap number the size of what Flacco's will be, so I think the later rounds may be a approached slightly different than previous years.

For those interested per the Ravens twitter account they've met with OG Chance Warmack from Alabama.