Page 28 of 333 FirstFirst ... 2627282930 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I think the 2011 draft is looking like a solid one, you can't complain too much, can't hit in the draft every year. The Patriots have also had total busts too.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think the 2011 draft is looking like a solid one, you can't complain too much, can't hit in the draft every year. The Patriots have also had total busts too.
    I know...I'm just really disappointed that in one of the most loaded drafts of the last 10 years we whiffed.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I agree and honestly, anyone who follows the draft as much as we all do knows that you can't strike gold every year at every position, but you really do have to wonder about the scouting department and their assessment of the players.

I mean, I just don't understand how they can look at Ed Dickson and say - truthfully - that he would be a better player than Jimmy Graham. I remember watching the combine and even though Graham's biggest knock was he wasn't a good blocker, the dude was 6'6" with incredible speed, leaping ability, and hands. Plus, Dickson wasn't a very good blocking TE coming out of college either. Another was David Reed over Antonio Brown...how did that happen? If you look at that draft, between David Reed's pick and Ramone Harewood (Art Jones notwithstanding), there are at least 5 quality starters in there at positions we not only needed then, but need now.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If you gonna choose to pay Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, and Reed more than the entire offense, then the team MUST DRAFT BETTER!!! You have to fill major spots with cheap labor, and the best way to get some cheap labor that is good is 2nd/3rd/and lower round draft picks. This explains it all why the Ravens are deficient. You cannot fill major roster spots with chicken shit cheap vets. Only way you can win is DRAFTING BETTER with high priced superstars.

Should you have so many high priced superstars?? I say NO! Puts too much pressure on drafting. Considering what contribution they are getting from these highed priced superstars this year it is truly amazing that we are 9-5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    If you gonna choose to pay Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, and Reed more than the entire offense, then the team MUST DRAFT BETTER!!! You have to fill major spots with cheap labor, and the best way to get some cheap labor that is good is 2nd/3rd/and lower round draft picks. This explains it all why the Ravens are deficient. You cannot fill major roster spots with chicken shit cheap vets. Only way you can win is DRAFTING BETTER with high priced superstars.

Should you have so many high priced superstars?? I say NO! Puts too much pressure on drafting. Considering what contribution they are getting from these highed priced superstars this year it is truly amazing that we are 9-5.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I know...I'm just really disappointed that in one of the most loaded drafts of the last 10 years we whiffed.
    I know we drafted late(25) and traded 2 picks(3+4) for Boldin, but I said it then(trust me I was basically rn off the board) and I'll say it again.

I can't find a team in the league that got LESS from the 2010 draft then the Baltimroe Ravens. Hell, the Freaking Raiders got Veldheer, who I'd retroactively trade our whole entire draft for. As noted above, it was instantly puzzling picking Dickson over Graham and Hernandez, and then backing it up with yet another TE that can't block his way out fo a wet paper bag. The first two picks were IMMEDIATELY very troublesome, and SCREAMED bust, by the combine at the latest. All I heard for basically an entire year, was "Trust in OZ" and "Who are you that you think you know better then the best FO in football", etc. In one of the deepest drafts in the history of football, we got basically NIL. 2 years later when the biggest contributors you have left are a "good backup" level TE and a "potential starting 5 technique" it's pretty sad. There were legit starters drafted on day 3 o that draft.

Is it conceivable for us to draft both Barrett Jones and CJ Mosley? Or will Mosley be gone by the time our turn comes in the second?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Is it conceivable for us to draft both Barrett Jones and CJ Mosley? Or will Mosley be gone by the time our turn comes in the second?
    Mosley isn't entering the draft.

Barret Jones is a real possibility.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I know we drafted late(25) and traded 2 picks(3+4) for Boldin, but I said it then(trust me I was basically rn off the board) and I'll say it again.

I can't find a team in the league that got LESS from the 2010 draft then the Baltimroe Ravens. Hell, the Freaking Raiders got Veldheer, who I'd retroactively trade our whole entire draft for. As noted above, it was instantly puzzling picking Dickson over Graham and Hernandez, and then backing it up with yet another TE that can't block his way out fo a wet paper bag. The first two picks were IMMEDIATELY very troublesome, and SCREAMED bust, by the combine at the latest. All I heard for basically an entire year, was "Trust in OZ" and "Who are you that you think you know better then the best FO in football", etc. In one of the deepest drafts in the history of football, we got basically NIL. 2 years later when the biggest contributors you have left are a "good backup" level TE and a "potential starting 5 technique" it's pretty sad. There were legit starters drafted on day 3 o that draft.
    :word

I know I was definitely someone who has believed that Ozzie and DeCosta were making good selections. I still think they're capable of it...but my god...2 drafts in a row (3 if you consider that Jimmy hasn't REALLY panned out yet and Jah isn't doing very well) where they have missed on a lot of NFL starters. Thank God for Torrey Smith and Pernell McPhee.

I had major hopes that Dickson and Pitta could turn into a pretty solid unit, but Dickson can't block and can't catch. While Pitta isn't a great blocker, he does have really good hands and he makes a lot of plays as a receiver. I don't think Pitta is anywhere NEAR the player that Gronk, Hernandez, or Graham are, but he is still pretty damn good.

Jimmy Graham was the one guy that I really wanted to see the Ravens draft. To have a receiver/TE like him...I don't know. Truthfully, he probably wouldn't be used properly in the Air Coryell offense, but that dude is damn near impossible to cover.

McShay's latest mock has us taking Corey Lemonier. Don't know anything about him. Anyone have thoughts? I don't see DE/OLB as our biggest need in the first round (I'd rather take a DT, ILB, or G/C).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    McShay's latest mock has us taking Corey Lemonier. Don't know anything about him. Anyone have thoughts? I don't see DE/OLB as our biggest need in the first round (I'd rather take a DT, ILB, or G/C).
    No thanks.

Injury concerns and he is kind of a 1 trick pony.

I'd love to see the Ravens get another pass rusher, but there will be better options over Lemonier.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    :word

I know I was definitely someone who has believed that Ozzie and DeCosta were making good selections. I still think they're capable of it...but my god...2 drafts in a row (3 if you consider that Jimmy hasn't REALLY panned out yet and Jah isn't doing very well) where they have missed on a lot of NFL starters. Thank God for Torrey Smith and Pernell McPhee.

I had major hopes that Dickson and Pitta could turn into a pretty solid unit, but Dickson can't block and can't catch. While Pitta isn't a great blocker, he does have really good hands and he makes a lot of plays as a receiver. I don't think Pitta is anywhere NEAR the player that Gronk, Hernandez, or Graham are, but he is still pretty damn good.

Jimmy Graham was the one guy that I really wanted to see the Ravens draft. To have a receiver/TE like him...I don't know. Truthfully, he probably wouldn't be used properly in the Air Coryell offense, but that dude is damn near impossible to cover.

I like Pitta, I really do. Had we drafted Gronkowski, then Pitta would have been a GREAT fit in the Hernandez role at a lower cost point. Moeaki was another guy I REALLY liked in tha draft, and coincidnetally Michael Hoomanawanui, who was carved out a nice niche in NE with Gronk out.

CB was my biggest contention with the draft at the time, but then Josh WIlson happenned, and shut me up. I'm going to wave a similar flag this year, however this year it's 1st or 2nd round LT or bust... I suppose Clady, Long, and maybe even Brandon Albert would change my mind. I doubt the availability of Veldheer, and Vollmer, and the like but I'd be fine with either of them also.