Page 272 of 333 FirstFirst ... 270271272273274 ... LastLast
Results 3,253 to 3,264 of 3987

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

I really do not think that neither Swearinger or Williams will make it to our third pick. So do you think it would be worth to possibly trade back and take those two in round 2 and then take a linebacker later since LB is the deeper position this year? You can still get guys like Alonso hodges Mauti etc later in the draft? Or would that be too much of a reach?! I really think these guys are going to sky rocket after the combine

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Just throwing something out there, I think we would save 3.78 million by cutting Michael Oher. It has a 99 % chance of not happening, but if it did happen, I assume Jah Reid or a drafted rookie would step in at RT while either McKinnie or someone else is signed to play LT.
    As long as it does not mean moving KO to RT. I think we could have two dominant guards with KO. If Gino works out the center of the line could be set for some time.

Blog Entries

The only safeties that are day 1 starters are Matt Elam and Kenny Vaccoro, and even then, both will be raw and will make coverage mistakes. I think its a talented group of safeties, but its a class for long term prospects, not immediate impact players.

If we don't re-sign Reed, I gurantee you that the Ravens will sign a vet to start next season, Kenny Phillips could be that guy, and he'd probably even be an upgrade over Reed at this point, he is still really young too, could be a Bernard Pollard type signing.

DT and LB is the way to go in this draft. I think there are probably 6 LBs that are NFL ready in a 3-4 scheme next to a good LB, and there are maybe 10 DT's that are NFL ready. Its such a deep class for the guys in the trenches this year.

Just throwing something out there, I think we would save 3.78 million by cutting Michael Oher. It has a 99 % chance of not happening, but if it did happen, I assume Jah Reid or a drafted rookie would step in at RT while either McKinnie or someone else is signed to play LT.
    I'm not totally opposed to cutting Oher, but you have to replace him, and I don't like the Jah Reid option as he is always...always hurt. And if you don't go with Reid, we'd have 2 OT's to replace.

The only safeties that are day 1 starters are Matt Elam and Kenny Vaccoro, and even then, both will be raw and will make coverage mistakes. I think its a talented group of safeties, but its a class for long term prospects, not immediate impact players.

If we don't re-sign Reed, I gurantee you that the Ravens will sign a vet to start next season, Kenny Phillips could be that guy, and he'd probably even be an upgrade over Reed at this point, he is still really young too, could be a Bernard Pollard type signing.

DT and LB is the way to go in this draft. I think there are probably 6 LBs that are NFL ready in a 3-4 scheme next to a good LB, and there are maybe 10 DT's that are NFL ready. Its such a deep class for the guys in the trenches this year.
    Not a fan of Phillips...another guy who is always hurt.

I think other safeties can start...hell, we've started Will Demps who was undrafted and Landry who was a 5th round pick...and both were impact players as rookies.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I completely agree and in no way was suggesting we use our first on either I meant only in the scenario if we were to trade back. I would love Kenny Phillips if he can stay healthy. If we can sign flacco, Ellerbe and or Kruger then get either Phillips or knighton it's a successful offseason. Then you can possibly double dip at lb, get a 3/4 run stopped and a coverage guy like Alonso or Greene. All I want from this draft is dline lb maybe a S and then a developmental OT. Maybe a WR if one falls far enough

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think other safeties can start...hell, we've started Will Demps who was undrafted and Landry who was a 5th round pick...and both were impact players as rookies.
    Yeah they were strong safeties playing infront of Ed Reed in his prime. Cover 1 free safeties are almsot as important as corner backs in the system we run. We can't just let anybody start there, people think Reed was bad with blown coverages this year, imagine the mistakes a rookie would/could make, no matter how good of a prospect he is.

If SS was a need, I'd agree with you, there are plenty of day 1 starters.

I also think that our starting FS will be signed and not drafted. Have all along. My preference for Elam is BPA [range]. Need to re - stack my board post-FA though and see
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Yeah they were strong safeties playing infront of Ed Reed in his prime. Cover 1 free safeties are almsot as important as corner backs in the system we run. We can't just let anybody start there, people think Reed was bad with blown coverages this year, imagine the mistakes a rookie would/could make, no matter how good of a prospect he is.

If SS was a need, I'd agree with you, there are plenty of day 1 starters.
    I don't necessarily agree with that either...there have been quite a few FS who have come in and made impacts...Jarius Byrd was a boarderline pro bowler his rookie year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    I really do not think that neither Swearinger or Williams will make it to our third pick. So do you think it would be worth to possibly trade back and take those two in round 2 and then take a linebacker later since LB is the deeper position this year?
    If Swearinger has a good combine I think he will shoot up the boards for a lot of teams.

We do have Christian Thompson from last year.

Ozzie said the "middle of the defense" is an area for upgrade...we all are assuming S is included in that, especially with Reed being a free agent. But Ozzie could have merely been talking about NT and LB, and not so much S. Hard to say with just the comment he made at the conference.

I do think Swearinger could be a beast - he already plays like a Raven from the tape I've seen. But we don't know enough about Thompson's role going forward.

The team has reportedly been in extension talks with Michael Oher since October or so. He's not going anywhere so it's a 100% chance of not happening IMO. If anything is done with Oher, it would be an early extension. He's coming off a down year that seems to cement the notion that he can't play LT, so sign him at the price of a good starting RT and reduce his 2013 cap number.

Eric Winston is a top 5 RT and he signed 4 years, 22m last offseason. They could probably lock Oher up for 5/22m or less and make his 2013 and 2014 cap hits nice and low giving us some cap relief over the next two years and then increasing in 2015 when the cap is expected to increase. I know none of us are really crazy about Oher particularly at LT, but he looked like a very good RT over the playoff run and should improve further under Castillo. He could also very well end up the starting LT for 2013, so why not just lock him up now and see what he can do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The team has reportedly been in extension talks with Michael Oher since October or so. He's not going anywhere so it's a 100% chance of not happening IMO. If anything is done with Oher, it would be an early extension. He's coming off a down year that seems to cement the notion that he can't play LT, so sign him at the price of a good starting RT and reduce his 2013 cap number.

Eric Winston is a top 5 RT and he signed 4 years, 22m last offseason. They could probably lock Oher up for 5/22m or less and make his 2013 and 2014 cap hits nice and low giving us some cap relief over the next two years and then increasing in 2015 when the cap is expected to increase. I know none of us are really crazy about Oher particularly at LT, but he looked like a very good RT over the playoff run and should improve further under Castillo. He could also very well end up the starting LT for 2013, so why not just lock him up now and see what he can do?
    Yes we could save 1 or 2 mills by extending Oher, But I'm not sure if I'd pay him Eric Winston type money. I know its not a lot, but Oher just isn't as good as Winston. A solid RT (which is what Oher is) should get around $15M over 3/4 years IMO.

Blog Entries

Yes we could save 1 or 2 mills by extending Oher, But I'm not sure if I'd pay him Eric Winston type money. I know its not a lot, but Oher just isn't as good as Winston. A solid RT (which is what Oher is) should get around $15M over 3/4 years IMO.
    I hope they extend Oher and keep him at RT for good. Then, we just need to find a solution at LT which is easier said then done.