Page 271 of 333 FirstFirst ... 269270271272273 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,252 of 3987

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    I've heard a lot about that full back but haven't got to look much at him, limited here in the uk and don't have a lot of Harvard recordings to watch.

Yea I'd like one of those tight ends but I just couldn't slot one in any earlier.

He's playing almost exclusively H-back and wing TE in this video which is mostly what he did for Harvard, but I think he has the physicality, intelligence, and strength to be a good FB between the tackles. He'll never be quite the blocker that Leach is in all likelihood but his athleticism and hands are really exceptional.

Blog Entries

I hope teams are filled with QB panic in rd. 1, and reach for QB, thereby pushing back players for the Ravens.

I hope KC takes Smith #1, I hope Buff. takes Glennon or Nassib, etc. Of course this probably won't happen, but a run on a position the Ravens don't need would be great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I hope teams are filled with QB panic in rd. 1, and reach for QB, thereby pushing back players for the Ravens.

I hope KC takes Smith #1, I hope Buff. takes Glennon or Nassib, etc. Of course this probably won't happen, but a run on a position the Ravens don't need would be great.
    You never know with QB's. Usually teams will reach for QB's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    You never know with QB's. Usually teams will reach for QB's.

I truly 100% believe that at least 3 QB's will be taken in round 1. Maybe 4.

Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, and Mike Glennon are all legitimate options to go in round 1. Especially if KC passes on Geno Smith and takes Joeckel. That means that teams like the Jets, Bills, Browns, Cardinals, and possibly the Raiders will either reach for a QB or trade back up into round 1 to make sure that the Chiefs don't target one of those guys.

This is a good thing for Baltimore because it will push better players down to us and/or provide them with an opportunity to move down a few spots into the top of the 2nd and pick up an extra 3rd rounder; or maybe more.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, and Mike Glennon are all legitimate options to go in round 1. Especially if KC passes on Geno Smith and takes Joeckel. That means that teams like the Jets, Bills, Browns, Cardinals, and possibly the Raiders will either reach for a QB or trade back up into round 1 to make sure that the Chiefs don't target one of those guys.

This is a good thing for Baltimore because it will push better players down to us and/or provide them with an opportunity to move down a few spots into the top of the 2nd and pick up an extra 3rd rounder; or maybe more.
    That's really sad but I think you're right. There was a great article by Jason Cole on Yahoo Sports yesterday going through the history of Southern California quarterbacks. It's been 30 years since Elway and every QB since then has been mediocre at best and most pretty bad. They all seem to get drafted pretty high though despite this. What pissed Cole off was the announcement that Barkley won't throw at the Combine. That lordly attitude is part of the problem with the QBs from that region but Barkley will still end up a 1st round pick despite that.

Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out

Sorry SoCal story: Abysmal run of QBs from region has NFL personnel searching for answers

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--so...060900663.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

He's playing almost exclusively H-back and wing TE in this video which is mostly what he did for Harvard, but I think he has the physicality, intelligence, and strength to be a good FB between the tackles. He'll never be quite the blocker that Leach is in all likelihood but his athleticism and hands are really exceptional.
    He's like the guy that the Texans replaced Leach with, James Casey.
    Last edited by GOTA; 02-21-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I agree. For all the talk about there not being any good QB's, I think there are way too many QB needy teams and nowhere near enough high end QB's out there to fill the need.

I don't know if those teams will wait, but I do know that almost all of those guys will be drafted before most people think they should be picked.

FWIW, and I don't know if it's just me, but since 2008, there have been significantly fewer outright busts on QB's drafted in the top 2 rounds than we've seen over the years...the only 3 guys I would call outright busts are Sanchez, Brohm and Gabbert.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Baltimore is going to have to trim the fat somewhere, cap-wise, and I think FB is one of the places we are able to live without a Pro-Bowl player.

Leach counts $4.3 Million against the cap this year, and despite being one of the best blockers in the league, his ability to run and catch out of the backfield leave a lot to be desired. With the number of teams that don't even use a FB, I think Ozzie can find a player in the draft that is a good blocker (probably not as good as Leach, I'll concede) plus can be an adequate weapon out of the backfield, and on short yardage with the FB dive.

A player I like a lot is Braden Wilson out of Kansas State. 6'3" 255 lbs, plays as a blocking FB the majority of the time, but read THIS article, and watch THIS video (1:29 is the play you need to see).

BradenWilson.jpeg

Wilson is an excellent blocker, AND adds something to the run / passing game that Leach does not. We use Leach as an outlet receiver a decent amount (21 catches in 2012), but he gives you next to nothing in regards to YAC. That is not to say that I expect our FB to Colin Kaepernick his way down the field...but a little something extra would expand our passing game, and if we could get to the point where the FB could slide out in the middle of the field into soft spots in the zone (as opposed to just the flat), that would be even better.

I love Vonta Leach. He is one of my favorite players on the entire squad...but $4+ million is too much for a team that is going to have to make cuts somewhere.

On the other side of the ball, the guy that I like best to take over at the Nose is Brandon Williams from D-II Missouri Southern...6'2" 340 lbs.

BrandonWilliams.jpg

Williams was the D-II player of the year. He had 68 tackles (16.5 TFL), 8.5 sacks, and 5 forced fumbles on the year. He became Missouri Southern's all time leader in sacks as a Senior with 27 for his career. Three-time All-American.

Williams had a big-time Senior Bowl week, dominating more "Elite" competition, removing the concern that he played at the D-II level. He is set to be at the combine, so we'll see how that goes.

Watch THIS video, and you'll like his attitude / work ethic.
    Watch THIS video, and you'll be surprised at his strength / athleticism.

Neither of these guys are 1st round prospects, but in the middle rounds somewhere, they are blue-collar-type players that could legitimately help this football team.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like him.

I agree. For all the talk about there not being any good QB's, I think there are way too many QB needy teams and nowhere near enough high end QB's out there to fill the need.

I don't know if those teams will wait, but I do know that almost all of those guys will be drafted before most people think they should be picked.

FWIW, and I don't know if it's just me, but since 2008, there have been significantly fewer outright busts on QB's drafted in the top 2 rounds than we've seen over the years...the only 3 guys I would call outright busts are Sanchez, Brohm and Gabbert.
    I'm not sure if it's expected variance or a trend. It might be just a good 4-5 year run of rookie QB's or there might be something going on in college football that is better preparing them for the rigors of the NFL.

Blog Entries

Really good site for cap #'s:

www.overthecap.com

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    I'm not sure if it's expected variance or a trend. It might be just a good 4-5 year run of rookie QB's or there might be something going on in college football that is better preparing them for the rigors of the NFL.
    Yes. That and a lot of hard core, excluisive "academy" and "camp" opportunities prior to college too.
    The entire HS-to-NFL development arc has advanced.

Blog Entries

Just throwing something out there, I think we would save 3.78 million by cutting Michael Oher. It has a 99 % chance of not happening, but if it did happen, I assume Jah Reid or a drafted rookie would step in at RT while either McKinnie or someone else is signed to play LT.