Page 27 of 333 FirstFirst ... 2526272829 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Don't forget that Doss did bulk up in the offseason, he's up to 210 lbs now. I honestly wouldn't mind going all in on him and Torrey next year.
    I was really stoked when they drafted Doss. He was one of my favorite receivers in that draft. You just can't put a value on guys who are natural hand-catchers.

I think that's their plan.

Torrey, Doss, (Jacoby?)...sprinkled in with a little Thompson and LaQuan.

Hopefully Tommy Streeter can really develop...man it would be nice to have a 6'5" 220lb guy down around the red zone.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I would take Murray in the 4th round, so he can be an insurance player if Flacco continues to regress, or so he can push a potential replacement for Flacco for the starting QB job. I think Murray has potential to be a starter on a ball controlled offence, similar to the Alabama kid.

Blog Entries

Don't forget that Doss did bulk up in the offseason, he's up to 210 lbs now. I honestly wouldn't mind going all in on him and Torrey next year.
    quite frankly the WR food chain right now should be Torrey, Jacoby, Doss, Boldin. I want to see more of Doss.

Blog Entries

I would take Murray in the 4th round, so he can be an insurance player if Flacco continues to regress, or so he can push a potential replacement for Flacco for the starting QB job. I think Murray has potential to be a starter on a ball controlled offence, similar to the Alabama kid.
    Yea, I too like AJ McCarron...not sure he is NFL starter quality though. Definitely a game manager. He'd be a nice back up. He is returning to Alabama though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, I too like AJ McCarron...not sure he is NFL starter quality though. Definitely a game manager. He'd be a nice back up. He is returning to Alabama though.
    Yeah, he isn't anything special, but good value in rounds 3 or 4.

I've seen some of Dysert and he is interesting. I would be cool with them taking a flier later in the draft. He's pretty mobile for a guy his size. I'm afraid that coming out of Miami of Ohio people will automatically assume that he'll be as good as Roethlisberger, and I don't see that kind of ability there.

I like Murray because he puts really nice tough on his passes and he's an intelligent player. He takes care of the football as well and it isn't like Georgia has top notch receivers anymore. Tarvares King is "ok", but that's really about it...

Regarding Tuel - I think he is a big, strong QB who could be similar to a Chad Henne kind of player. He'd be a decent guy to have compete for a back up spot. Washington State hasn't been very good since...well...since Mark Brunnell or Drew Bledsoe were there. So, it is kind of hard to gauge how good Tuel could be.

Before he got busted for off-field stuff, Casey Pachal out of TCU was looking like a good prospect.
    Dysert doesn't have an elite arm like Roethlisberger and doesn't have his kind of strength to break tackles and avoid sacks. He is mobile and a better scrambler than one would think though. I do think Dysert is mentally way ahead of where Roethlisberger was when he came out. Dysert makes NFL style reads and audibles in that offense, even though it's a spread he's obviously familiar with some pro concepts. I think Dysert is going to rise on draft boards as we get closer to the draft.

Ryan Nassib out of Syracuse is a similar player to Dysert, but his mechanics are pretty bad. His delivery is very ugly and he has no footwork at all. He has talent to work with though, if he can sit for a year or two and get coached up by a good QB guru he could be pretty good.

Derek Carr (David Carr's little brother, also out of Fresno State) looks like a good prospect as long as his last name isn't held against him. I think he's going back to school, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    One thing I'm focusing on really tightly in my QB evaluation now is placing a lot of weight on how a prospect plays when his OL is breaking down, WRs are dropping passes, etc... basically when everything is going wrong. I'm valuing QBs more when they play well under those conditions and de-emphasizing their play not under pressure and when all is well.
    I do track mechanics and discipline when things fall apart, but not so much series-by-series and across the game, and noticing greater trends. Good tip though. I'll fold that in as well.

Hopefully Tommy Streeter can really develop...man it would be nice to have a 6'5" 220lb guy down around the red zone.
    Would love Torrey, Dennis, Tommy and mid-rounder TE Zach Sudfeld (Nevada) in the RZ for us in 2013. Doss is my guy and probably has a slightly greater radius than Torrey, but only with an empty backfield could I get him on the field here. Nice (fantasy) problem to have.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 12-18-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Just to further look at how poorly the front office has done since taking Joe and Rice in 2008...

2009 Draft - Oher, Kruger, Webb, Phillips, Drew, Peerman.
    Oher is average at best, Kruger is a situational pass rusher, who is pretty good now and a FA after this year, and Webb was an outstanding pick. The rest of the guys are either out of league or depth players elsewhere.
    2009 Guys they passed over: Vontae Davis, Clay Matthews, Eric Wood, Hakeem Nicks, Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung, Jairus Byrd, Max Unger, Andy Levitre, William Moore, Sebastian Vollmer, Chris Clemons, Brice McCain.

2010 Draft - Kindle, Cody, Dickson, Pitta, Reed, Jones, Harewood
    Kindle is a bust, Cody is a bust, Dickson is a bust, Pitta is solid, but nothing special, Reed can't stay healthy, Jones is finally coming on as a strong DL'man, and Harewood is depth with serious injury concerns.
    2010 Guys they passed over: Devin McCourty, Patrick Robinson, Rob Gronkowski, Zane Beadles, Linval Joseph, Darryl Washington, Carlos Dunlap, Sean Lee, Ben Tate, Brandon Spikes, Pat Angerer, John Asamoah, Jared Veldheer, Donald Butler, Emmanuel Sanders, Eric Decker, Andre Roberts, Navorro Bowman, Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez, Geno Atkins, Kam Chancellor, Riley Cooper, and Antonio Brown.

2011 Draft - It is too early to tell...not sure what Jimmy Smith can become, but Torrey, McPhee, Chykie, Doss, and even Jah seem to be (at the very least) contributors.

However, the 2009 and 2010 drafts...those are big mysteries to me. There was A LOT of talent left on the board. I really would like to know why the Ravens scouted these players differently than other teams...

What many had suspected...Nix is staying in school (misleading link name).

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ix-enter-draft

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    What many had suspected...Nix is staying in school (misleading link name).

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ix-enter-draft
    I think a lot of those Notre Dame boys who are underclassmen are going to return.

Just to further look at how poorly the front office has done since taking Joe and Rice in 2008...

2009 Draft - Oher, Kruger, Webb, Phillips, Drew, Peerman.
    Oher is average at best, Kruger is a situational pass rusher, who is pretty good now and a FA after this year, and Webb was an outstanding pick. The rest of the guys are either out of league or depth players elsewhere.
    2009 Guys they passed over: Vontae Davis, Clay Matthews, Eric Wood, Hakeem Nicks, Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung, Jairus Byrd, Max Unger, Andy Levitre, William Moore, Sebastian Vollmer, Chris Clemons, Brice McCain.

2010 Draft - Kindle, Cody, Dickson, Pitta, Reed, Jones, Harewood
    Kindle is a bust, Cody is a bust, Dickson is a bust, Pitta is solid, but nothing special, Reed can't stay healthy, Jones is finally coming on as a strong DL'man, and Harewood is depth with serious injury concerns.
    2010 Guys they passed over: Devin McCourty, Patrick Robinson, Rob Gronkowski, Zane Beadles, Linval Joseph, Darryl Washington, Carlos Dunlap, Sean Lee, Ben Tate, Brandon Spikes, Pat Angerer, John Asamoah, Jared Veldheer, Donald Butler, Emmanuel Sanders, Eric Decker, Andre Roberts, Navorro Bowman, Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez, Geno Atkins, Kam Chancellor, Riley Cooper, and Antonio Brown.

2011 Draft - It is too early to tell...not sure what Jimmy Smith can become, but Torrey, McPhee, Chykie, Doss, and even Jah seem to be (at the very least) contributors.

However, the 2009 and 2010 drafts...those are big mysteries to me. There was A LOT of talent left on the board. I really would like to know why the Ravens scouted these players differently than other teams...
    The Patriots completely restocked their team with that 2010 draft....absolutely knocked it out of the park. I'm really jealous.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.