Page 254 of 333 FirstFirst ... 252253254255256 ... LastLast
Results 3,037 to 3,048 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    If its just ACL and already almost a year removed I can see it effecting somewhat but still doesnt match the drop imo. I think we both agree that not all OL have to be big muscle wise when they display proper technique like Folk appears to. sometimes a little extra weight can help, as long as its not detrimental to injury prevention or performance. I dont think hes really at that point.

Datko dropped a lot but I think that has to do with the fact that it was his 2nd shoulder surgery (1 in HS as well) which i believe this was Faulks only one? He also didnt make the team last year and was on PS, so maybe he just wasnt as good as originally thought? I guess that could be the case with Faulk as well but id say he faced better competition and looked better, imo. Definitely could be a steal in this draft, i just think well have to use an earlier pick or trade back/up to do it.

I do agree that would be the way to go. whether thats a Faulk who i probably prefer at this point, or an Aboushi who needs some coaching but has the physical tools. Keeping oher at RT seems to be a priority and although i love KO at G, i still wouldnt mind seeing him tried at LT if for some reason we dont retain a vet LT or healthy prospect.
    I wouldn't mind taking Faulk in the 3rd round. Infact if he's there by the time we're picking, I hope the Ravens consider him, or even consider trading up ala Bernard Pierce and Jah Reid. I think 2nd round is a little high, especially considering our other holes.

If people are going to hold that Alabama game against Teo because he and the defense couldn't handle Alabama's running game, then we should just not draft a LB at all.

Against Ogletree and the Georgia defense, Alabama ran for 350 yards...Lacey averaged over 9 yards a carry (Yeldon over 6ypc)

Against Minter and the LSU defense, Lacy averaged 7.5 ypc and Yeldon again over 6ypc.

Out of the top 3 ILB's in this draft, Lacy and Yeldon were held to their lowest YPC against Teo and the Notre Dame defense.

Nobody has a problem with Minter or Ogletree though...Teo is just getting picked apart because of his hype and people were disappointed because of the over the top hype/hiesman nonsense. No linebacker/defense held up to that Alabama OL and no other one would either if they had to play them IMHO...there were people on this board wanting us to draft Barrett Jones in the first round after that championship game...and he's the 4th best player on that line...at best! That Alabama line was the most dominant OL in recent college football history.

I'd be more than happy with Teo here.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If people are going to hold that Alabama game against Teo because he and the defense couldn't handle Alabama's running game, then we should just not draft a LB at all.

Against Ogletree and the Georgia defense, Alabama ran for 350 yards...Lacey averaged over 9 yards a carry (Yeldon over 6ypc)

Against Minter and the LSU defense, Lacy averaged 7.5 ypc and Yeldon again over 6ypc.

Out of the top 3 ILB's in this draft, Lacy and Yeldon were held to their lowest YPC against Teo and the Notre Dame defense.

Nobody has a problem with Minter or Ogletree though...Teo is just getting picked apart because of his hype. No linebacker/defense held up to that Alabama OL and no other one would either if they had to play them IMHO...there were people on this board wanting us to draft Barrett Jones in the first round after that championship game...and he's the 4th best player on that line...at best! That Alabama line was the most dominant OL in recent college football history.

Outstanding post man.

This post should be stickied for everyone to read it and digest it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Bennie Logan would be a really nice pick if the Ravens do what I want them to do and go to more of a 4-3 base. He's a prototypical 3-technique pass-rushing DT. Ngata would play next to him as the 1-tech NT. I don't think Logan fits the 3-4 very well, though.

Even if they continue with more 3-4 sets, I think one possible solution to the weakness up the middle is a healthy Ngata at NT where he might fit best going forward. I don't think he'll ever have the burst/quickness off the line he had in years past, he's just had too many recurring knee injuries. So why not just let him clog the middle and anchor? We know he can play the position and we have 2 good starting 5-tech DEs in Jones and McPhee. They have Cody and Tyson as solid backups and can add depth in the draft.

Good stuff as usual Wicked unfortunately Kiko Alonso may not be available at the bottom of the 3rd

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    Oregon LB Kiko Alonso made 3-4 impact plays in every game I studied. He's had some off field stuff but he's a rock solid 2nd rd pick on tape

Blog Entries

Nobody has a problem with Minter or Ogletree though...Teo is just getting picked apart because of his hype and people were disappointed because of the over the top hype/hiesman nonsense. No linebacker/defense held up to that Alabama OL and no other one would either if they had to play them IMHO...there were people on this board wanting us to draft Barrett Jones in the first round after that championship game...and he's the 4th best player on that line...at best! That Alabama line was the most dominant OL in recent college football history.

And while Te'o played poorly, I am wondering how much of that was mental more than physical.

I mean he knew he was just a few days or so away from being in the national spot light telling the world his girlfriend who died from cancer never existed.

This is a very solid post. One thing to remember though is that a big factor contributing to Te'o's "fall" is the mere fact that he had artificially risen so high in the first place. A lot of big-media people were calling Te'o the #1 overall best prospect in the class or top 5 minimum without really thinking about it. That was asinine and people were just saying it to buy into the hype train and get media clicks/sell papers/etc. Now Te'o is viewed as being in the 20-35 range as a prospect, which is correct and where he should have been all along IMO, so it's not really a "fall" it's just realigning him to where he should have been in the first place based on talent and game tape.

I don't agree that Jones is the 4th best player on Alabama's line BTW. That's actually a ridiculous statement. Only Chance Warmack is definitely more talented as a complete player; people forget that last year Barrett Jones won the Outland Trophy (best OL in the country) as a left tackle! And that's not even his most natural position! Then he moved to center this year and even with a Lisfranc injury he owned Louis Nix (top 10 DT prospect next year in all likelihood) in the BCS championship. Actually the reason why Te'o looked so bad in the BCS was because Warmack was running free right into him as Jones single-blocked Nix to the ground and out of the way on most plays.

Barrett Jones is an incredible player who is like the anti-Te'o; very quietly one of the best players in this class, yet his stock is incredibly low right now.

I am also big on Faulk. There are a handful of guys that I really want, and am hoping that Ozzie moves around a lot in rounds 2-3 to grab a bunch of solid guys rather than trading up for one guy. Round one- best ILB, minter,teo or even Ogletree. One will fall
    Round two- either Brandon Williams or Swearinger
    Round 3- Quentin Patton,stedman bailey, Faulk

Also factor in the other linebackers like Alonso, Greene or reddick. The primary guys I want are Thompson and Swearinger since there are a bunch of solid linebackers in this class. Also maybe take a flyer on carradine or Jenkins from fl st. Ozzie has a lot of options and the strength of the draft is deep in rounds 2 to early 4. I really want joe Vellano late as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This is a very solid post. One thing to remember though is that a big factor contributing to Te'o's "fall" is the mere fact that he had artificially risen so high in the first place. A lot of big-media people were calling Te'o the #1 overall best prospect in the class or top 5 minimum without really thinking about it. That was asinine and people were just saying it to buy into the hype train and get media clicks/sell papers/etc. Now Te'o is viewed as being in the 20-35 range as a prospect, which is correct and where he should have been all along IMO, so it's not really a "fall" it's just realigning him to where he should have been in the first place based on talent and game tape.

I don't agree that Jones is the 4th best player on Alabama's line BTW. That's actually a ridiculous statement. Only Chance Warmack is definitely more talented as a complete player; people forget that last year Barrett Jones won the Outland Trophy (best OL in the country) as a left tackle! And that's not even his most natural position! Then he moved to center this year and even with a Lisfranc injury he owned Louis Nix (top 10 DT prospect next year in all likelihood) in the BCS championship. Actually the reason why Te'o looked so bad in the BCS was because Warmack was running free right into him as Jones single-blocked Nix to the ground and out of the way on most plays.

Barrett Jones is an incredible player who is like the anti-Te'o; very quietly one of the best players in this class, yet his stock is incredibly low right now.
    Good points about Te'o, I think. His fall has a lot to do with his talent as much as the importance of the position, IMO.

I think Jones is tied for 2nd best on that o-line with Fluker. Fluker having more upside. I don't agree that Jones owned Nix though. Jones clearly started off winning the battle, maybe the first quarter, but by I think Nix slightly won the next 3 rounds, and I do mean slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

I don't agree with that at all...Jones is a solid player, but I don't put a ton of stock in those college awards...it's in large part a popularity contest no different than all star game selections. And they really are not much of an indication of who is the most talented or best for the pros.

Warmack, Flucker, and Kouandjio will all be selected before Jones...they are all significantly more physically talented than Jones. That doesn't mean that they necessarily will all definitely have better pro careers, but no GM in his right mind would take Jones over any of those 3 guys.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I'll say this as well regarding Jones...I don't put a lot of stock in a lot of these media draft guys. There are only 2 that I really, really respect the opinions of...Mike Mayock because he doesn't always go along with the consensus and makes his own real opinions based on his own tape study (frankly, I think he is one of the few who actually watch coaches tape...and he has said he has had offers to work in NFL front offices), and Daniel Jeremiah because he was an actual scout (and I'd like to think a good one as he has worked under Ozzie, Savage, and Andy Reid) and he also actually watches coaches tape to form his opinions.

Both have noted that while Jones is a good player, he is pretty limited athletically and that will limit him in the NFL.

I'll say this as well regarding Jones...I don't put a lot of stock in a lot of these media draft guys. There are only 2 that I really, really respect the opinions of...Mike Mayock because he doesn't always go along with the consensus and makes his own real opinions based on his own tape study (frankly, I think he is one of the few who actually watch coaches tape...and he has said he has had offers to work in NFL front offices), and Daniel Jeremiah because he was an actual scout (and I'd like to think a good one as he has worked under Ozzie, Savage, and Andy Reid) and he also actually watches coaches tape to form his opinions.

Both have noted that while Jones is a good player, he is pretty limited athletically and that will limit him in the NFL.
    Look at Birk though. He was still good this year. Last year he looked kind of washed up at times due to knee issues, but this year he was back to his normal, above average level of play. You do not need your C to be an athlete, just strong enough to hold his own and smart enough to make your calls and run your snap count games at the same time.

Jones could be the 2nd best player on that line in the end even though he may be #5 as far as a physical prospect. Like I said early in the thread, the entire OL looks like they will start in the NFL. ND was not the first good defense they steamrolled. Warmack is the best G prospect I have seen in a while.

:T2: