Page 228 of 333 FirstFirst ... 226227228229230 ... LastLast
Results 2,725 to 2,736 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You also have to factor in Ellerbe's health. He missed a lot of games in the season, and missed half of the previous season. Kruger has pretty much been healthy since we drafted him.
    certainly an issue for him which hopefully lowers his value on the market and other teams interest. He did play through injuries this year and maintained his effectiveness in doing so, may not always be the case.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

You also have to factor in Ellerbe's health. He missed a lot of games in the season, and missed half of the previous season. Kruger has pretty much been healthy since we drafted him.
    Very interesting point and one that never seems to be brought up.

Blog Entries

Idk guys, I think I'd rather have Kruger than Ellerbe if it comes to it.

We are maybe more stacked at OLB than ILB, but the FO has a knack for finding good ILBs. Also don't forget about Albert McClellan who has played well there before.
    Good point. McClellan could definitely be a starter at ILB if all else fails.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

He does have a history of nagging injuries.

However, he also played through a fairly significant ankle sprain in the playoffs and Super Bowl. He played pretty well too, so he is willing to play through pain.

His injury history does give some pause though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Good point. McClellan could definitely be a starter at ILB if all else fails.
    Injury history only bothers me if it's something with a chance to recur because of the prior injury. If it's just a bunch of disconnected things, like sprains, stingers, etc., those could happen to anybody any time, even guys who have never been hurt before. Off the top of my head I can't think of any future concerns about a recurrence of anything with him, but then again, I can't really recall what his past injuries were. Is there anything he's had that might be something to worry about down the line?

Idk guys, I think I'd rather have Kruger than Ellerbe if it comes to it.
    Ellerbe might be harder to keep, believe it or not. Some people have him ranked as the top free agent linebacker out there. He and Kruger are two of the top guys so keeping both is highly unlikely.

Blog Entries

If we cut Leach...has anyone considered James Casey from Houston?

He is a weird TE/FB hybrid. We've shown we kind of like to use the FB as a pass catcher with Leach's usage. Casey could easily fill this role, maybe even better than Leach.

Not sure what kind of $$ he would be looking for though.

Blog Entries

So, with Kruger and Cliff Avril likely being the top FA pass rushers out there...

Connor Barwin may come back into the picture. He had a down year, no doubt, but he is still a good player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

He is a weird TE/FB hybrid. We've shown we kind of like to use the FB as a pass catcher with Leach's usage. Casey could easily fill this role, maybe even better than Leach.

I have always liked James Casey. That dude was such a hell of a receiver in college.

I don't know though.

This is going to be a weird off-season. Some suggest that Rice was more effective when the Ravens were 3-wide without Leach in the game. However, Leach is just a quintessential Baltimore Raven. I'd be sad to see him go.

I've been big on going to more of an H-Back utilization if we have to let Leach go...those undersized TE's who can catch are huge in today's game.

Casey in particular though is doubtful...he likely will be making around the same money as Leach. Those guys are typically mid round picks and if you use them right, they can be weapons for you. Maybe a guy like Willie Carter out of Tulsa in the mid/late rounds.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I have always liked James Casey. That dude was such a hell of a receiver in college.

I don't know though.

This is going to be a weird off-season. Some suggest that Rice was more effective when the Ravens were 3-wide without Leach in the game. However, Leach is just a quintessential Baltimore Raven. I'd be sad to see him go.
    Leach is awesome. But his price is mighty rich for a FB. I would hate to see him go too, but at this point he is mostly a luxury item IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Casey in particular though is doubtful...he likely will be making around the same money as Leach. Those guys are typically mid round picks and if you use them right, they can be weapons for you. Maybe a guy like Willie Carter out of Tulsa in the mid/late rounds.
    Yeah I figure Casey might cost just about as much, so it isn't likely. But you never know. Clearly we like funneling HOU players to our squad.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

He'd have to be cheap , and I don't think he will be. I also am starting to think that Leach might see the writing on the wall that he is a dying breed, and may take a relatively cheap extenstion to keep his career going with a winner. Perhaps he takes a straight paycut if it comes with an additional couple of years. Perhaps wiping out the last year of his deal and replacing it with a 3 yr $7m deal.

and Leach... I'd rather have Ellerbe. Ellerbe ca be a 3 down ILBer here, Kruger SHOULD see even less time next year then this year as Upshaw improves. I see more promise to succeed in Kruger's role from hamilton and Macadoo then I see potential in Bynes,Mclellan to replace Ellerbe as our coverage inside backer. In fact, wit Mclin coming off what he is, I could see one of those two replcing McLain for better results.

And Ellerbe should be half the cheese that Kruger gets, perhaps 60%.