Page 226 of 333 FirstFirst ... 224225226227228 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,712 of 3987
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

IMO best overall WR in the class, at least in the technical elements of the position. Other guys are bigger, other guys are faster, but nobody has the overall game Hopkins does. He's one of my favorite players in the class and I think he will be a Reggie Wayne type of player in the NFL. Would take him at #32 in a heartbeat
    :word

Me too.

All those folks pissed about passing up on Hakeem Nicks, well Nuk Hopkins in is quite similar.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Add to your sleeper watch for LT or RT -- Nick Becton, Virginia Tech. He's had limited chances, with early injuries and VT's reluctance to start him over more experienced guys. Didn't start full time till this year, though he's been part of the rotation since his freshman year. 6'5", 330+ , powerful. Legitimately a guy who could be a solid starter at LT despite having a mid round grade at this point. I expect to see him get noticed at the Combine, which he was invited to.

His game tape is hard to go on because VT's QB is very mobile. And he definitely misses some looks from the defense, much like we've accused Oher of doing while at LT (e.g.-- missing Polamalu off the edge). He's only started one season so far.

At worst, some line depth there. I think he's got a nastier edge to him than Jah Reid does. The Ravens like nasty.

Just one to file away for future reference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    :word

Me too.

All those folks pissed about passing up on Hakeem Nicks, well Nuk Hopkins in is quite similar.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    With Caldwell calling the plays next year, Hopkins looks to me like a perfect type of receiver to line up across from Torrey. If Boldin comes back it'd be the perfect opportunity to move him into the slot, and get the max out of him for another 2 seasons (maybe even 3, which is probably what we'd have to extend him to).

Not sure what our defense is going to look like next year if we pick up a WR in the first round; could start to look a bit like 1997 all over again.... but OTOH, we'd have two downfield weapons at WR at all times, for Joe to work with. Talk about opening things up underneath for Rice and Pitta. That's a scary concept.

Really hated the idea of taking offence in round 1 (except the right OL-man), but I really like the way Hopkins plays and would be pretty happy with him

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Tavon Austin (WR, West Virginia) went to Dunbar HS in Baltimore City
    Kenny Tate (LB, Maryland) went to DeMatha HS in Hyattsville
    AJ Francis (DT Maryland) from Severn area and went to Gonzaga in DC

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Gaithersburg High School (I'm not that smart - I looked it up)
    Thanks. I was faaar too lazy
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

For you Hopkins-heads out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwB5...e_gdata_player

YT search with <Hopkins 1 handed catches> if link doesn't work
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Without repeating the age old "we are in cap jail" line that you hear everywhere right now (even though we are probably middle of the pack in terms of cap space), lets take a more positive light for a minute.

Just say that Flacco signs right before the deadline before free agency for around 18-20 mill a year, and takes a cap hit of around 7 million in 2013, that will actually mean that we are still under the cap by around 4-5 million (give or take, thats without re-signing otter UFAs, RFAs, and ERFAs).

Lets say we cut Leach (saves 3 million), Williams and Birk (saves 2.3 million after replacing them with two rookies or PS players). When Ray Lewis fills in his papers, that's going to give us 4.35 million to work with. Then hopefully the FO look at re-signing Boldin, Jacoby, and maybe even Oher to longer term deals that reduce their cap hits this year. You're going to be getting a lot more freedom than usual to actually make some moves in FA. Then if all that happens, the FO could actually fill needs in FA, and go with purely with BPA philosophy in the draft.

Assuming that all happens, I think the FO will be able to re-sign Ellerbe and Reed, and possibly McKinnie (assuming his demands aren't ridiculously stupid). The Ravens could sign Burnett from the Bills as a immediate starter next to Ellerbe. I know that he's 31, and I was originally against it, but he could give our defense some experience and leadership that we will be losing a lot of this offseason. We could also sign Knighton to become an immediate upgrade over Cody/Kemo, we may also look to add another corner for depth purposes, a guy like Tracy Porter may help. Maybe even look at Louis Murphy to further strengthen our WR corps as an extra deep thread.

That's essentially on the holes filled, so we can go in the draft looking for some elite talent, instead of drafting for needs (never a good formula). It's obvious we need a long term answer at LT, so we look at maybe making some moves to get Lane Johnson (ONLY if he falls past 20 which may be unlikely with teams like SD picking at 12). Or we could just wait for the BPA to be on the board, and then I'd be all for taking a wide out like DeAndre Hopkins, or a Zach Ertz. It all depends on how we address the defense.

Blog Entries

If Bmac doesn't re-sign, there are three potential very solid options out there in Will Beatty, Gosder Cherilus, or Sam Baker. It all depends on their asking prices (likely out of our range being turthfully honest, but you never know). All of them are young and would be an upgrade over anything else we currently have, even Bmac.

Blog Entries

John Clayton on ESPN this morning said that he expects Joe Flacco to be signed before free agency and that he thinks Kruger will be a Raven next year.

Not sure how or why he thinks that, but it is interesting to hear other's takes.

Personally, I'd rather Ellerbe over Kruger because I think we could get away with Upshaw, Suggs, McClellan, Hamilton, and (hopefully) a draft pick.

I'm not so sure that we have enough solid depth at ILB to really produce a good unit. Though, I guess if our DL is outstanding then we can line almost anyone up at ILB and they'll be ok. The Giants won a SB with Chase Blackburn as their MLB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Bmac doesn't re-sign, there are three potential very solid options out there in Will Beatty, Gosder Cherilus, or Sam Baker. It all depends on their asking prices (likely out of our range being turthfully honest, but you never know). All of them are young and would be an upgrade over anything else we currently have, even Bmac.

Gosder Cherilus?

There is a reason why Detroit moved him from RT to guard and then to the bench after they drafted Reiff. Cherilus has the size, but man...no way. He'd be worse at LT than Oher. I'd rather give Jah Reid a shot at LT over Cherilus.

Beatty or Sam Baker may be intriguing. The problem with both of them is injury issues though. Especially with Beatty. I think last season was the first year that he didn't miss a ton of time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gosder Cherilus?

There is a reason why Detroit moved him from RT to guard and then to the bench after they drafted Reiff. Cherilus has the size, but man...no way. He'd be worse at LT than Oher. I'd rather give Jah Reid a shot at LT over Cherilus.

Beatty or Sam Baker may be intriguing. The problem with both of them is injury issues though. Especially with Beatty. I think last season was the first year that he didn't miss a ton of time.
    Actually he was really good at RT this year and played every single snap at RT. Don't remember him getting benched at all.