Page 224 of 333 FirstFirst ... 222223224225226 ... LastLast
Results 2,677 to 2,688 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Give me one reason why we should just switch from something that has worked for over a decade? We've had a down year because of mass injuries, there's no need to completely change a defensive philosophy. Usually teams announce changes like that early (as Cleveland and Philly have), while Pees, and Harbaugh haven't even mentioned the possibility. There's really no point in going to a 4-3 either, when we play nickel 50 % of the time anyway.
    Well, for starters...they already do run a lot of 4-down linemen sets. This isn't anything knew. They haven't run a "true" 3-4 in quite some time.

It really wouldn't be too much of a philosophy change either. From my perspective, college just isn't producing a lot of quality 3-4 linebackers anymore. However, they are producing a ton of smallish, fast linebackers, which actually isn't a bad thing when you consider how offenses are gearing more towards athletic TE sets.

My main reason for moving to a 4-3 base is because right now the Ravens don't have a good answer as a 3-4 OLB who can still effectively cover. Upshaw is an outstanding run stopper and has some value as a pass rusher. Suggs, when healthy, is a good all around player and pass rusher, but he is the only 3-4 OLB component who can really cover effectively. I would rather see them kick Ngata inside, eat up blockers, give Suggs and Upshaw (and whoever else...McPhee?) better 1-on-1 opportunities at DE. Furthermore, being able to generate effective pressure with just 4 guys as opposed to 5 gives the defense 1 more guy that can drop into coverage.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, for starters...they already do run a lot of 4-down linemen sets. This isn't anything knew. They haven't run a "true" 3-4 in quite some time.

It really wouldn't be too much of a philosophy change either. From my perspective, college just isn't producing a lot of quality 3-4 linebackers anymore. However, they are producing a ton of smallish, fast linebackers, which actually isn't a bad thing when you consider how offenses are gearing more towards athletic TE sets.

My main reason for moving to a 4-3 base is because right now the Ravens don't have a good answer as a 3-4 OLB who can still effectively cover. Upshaw is an outstanding run stopper and has some value as a pass rusher. Suggs, when healthy, is a good all around player and pass rusher, but he is the only 3-4 OLB component who can really cover effectively. I would rather see them kick Ngata inside, eat up blockers, give Suggs and Upshaw (and whoever else...McPhee?) better 1-on-1 opportunities at DE. Furthermore, being able to generate effective pressure with just 4 guys as opposed to 5 gives the defense 1 more guy that can drop into coverage.
    They go into the nickel a ton, against NE, nearly every snap on defense was in a nickel formation, and we did pretty well allowing NE to only put up 13 points. Just keep things the way they are, we are a hybrid front, and its better off being that way than just commit to one base defense. Its not as if We're Houston or Pittsburgh where we are constantly in the 3-4 base.

And the coverage issues are easily fixable, just get an ILB that can cover, its rare in this league to have two 3-4 OLBs who can cover very well.

Blog Entries

I would rather get Jesse Williams over Jenkins. Jenkins isn't a great run defender, where was Jesse Williams is a monster in the run game, and can collapse the pocket. I think I'd consider Jesse Williams in the second round, not the first though. I would like Brandon Williams in the 3rd, I think taking him in the 2nd is too much of a risk.
    WalterFootball on both :

(3#) Jonathan Jenkins :

Height: 6-3. Weight: 359. Arm: 33 1/8. Hand: 9 1/2.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.25.
    Projected Round (2013): 1.
    2/1/13: Jenkins racked up 50 tackles, two tackles for a loss and a sack in 2012. He stood out with good games against Missouri, South Carolina, Florida and Auburn. Jenkins played well in the SEC Championship and beat Alabama guard Chance Warmack for a sack.

Jenkins is a load at the line of scrimmage who can collapse the pocket while stuffing runs. He helped his stock this season and was dominant at the Senior Bowl. Jenkins was destroying interior linemen with his bull rush and showed some serious explosiveness off the snap. It isn't out of the question for Jenkins to be mid first-rounder.

8/25/12: The junior college product Jenkins showed off massive size with some surprising athleticism in his debut last year for the Bulldogs. The junior had 28 with six tackles for a loss and three sacks.
    Jenkins is a massive load at the line of scrimmage. He is a natural fit as a zero-technique nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. It helps that Jenkins already plays that position for Georgia.

(#4) Jesse Williams :

Height: 6-4. Weight: 320.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.35.
    Projected Round (2013): 2-3.
    2/1/13: Williams had a rough start to the season. He was limited against Michigan and sat out against Western Kentucky with a concussion. Williams played better later with good performances versus Texas A&M, LSU, Georgia and Notre Dame. He had 37 tackles, 2.5 tackles for a loss and one sack this year.

Williams is a good run-stuffer, but doesn't offer much of anything as a pass-rusher. He looks like a two-down player at most for the NFL, and with the amount of nickel formations teams run, Williams may only end up playing 40 percent of his defense's snaps.

8/25/12: The "tattooed monster from down under" has some shear power and quickness. The Australian didn't start playing football until he was 15 years old. He played a couple seasons of community college before breaking into the lineup as a junior for Alabama.

Williams had 24 tackles with four tackles for a loss and half a sack in 2011. He was a starting five-technique defensive end but moved inside to tackle as part of a four-man front in pass-rushing situations. Williams should take on a prominent role in the Alabama defense since the Crimson Tide lost a number of players to the 2012 NFL Draft.

You decide... Bc

Blog Entries

Those reports are heavily outdated, and Walter football (while they have been right on a lot of things) have also been horrendously wrong on a bunch of other things. They picked us to go 8-8 for example at the beginning of the year. Go on CBS and you'll get a completely different report on Jesse Williams, where he is actually compared to Vince Wilfolk.

Just watched Te'o's game vs Oklahoma. The kid has killer instincts and is a smart football player who can tackle, but his pass coverage is scary. It looks like the Ray Lewis of college (old Ray, not Ray in his prime.

Not a fan

Blog Entries

Those reports are heavily outdated, and Walter football (while they have been right on a lot of things) have also been horrendously wrong on a bunch of other things. They picked us to go 8-8 for example at the beginning of the year. Go on CBS and you'll get a completely different report on Jesse Williams, where he is actually compared to Vince Wilfolk.
    Not saying you're wrong, but these assessments were posted (by Walter Football) on 2/01/13... Bc

Walter has good nuggets, but they could use more staff to update their analyses. I'd help em out for a very small fee. I could crank out something for all Jr or Sr prospect across 2-3 schools within a certain region or conference each week.

They could set simple standards and guidelines so that all of their analysts are evaluating the same things.
    There's no reason why any GM role playing crazy like any of us can't, in November, see/read how UGA's junior TE has played week-to-week up to that point. Top match-ups (like if this TE went against a top SS) could be noted...all kinds of stuff.

8. Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

In Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock, he has us selecting Sam Montgomery. Could he fit into our defense and would it be a worthy selection?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    In Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock, he has us selecting Sam Montgomery. Could he fit into our defense and would it be a worthy selection?
    If he can learn how to step off the line quicker than 10 hours, then maybe I'd be ok with it.

Speaking of safeties, Glover Quin might be the next Texan ready to be snapped up by us.
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Speaking of safeties, Glover Quin might be the next Texan ready to be snapped up by us.
    I would be absolutely ecstatic to get him if Reed is not re-signed. I've been on his bandwagon all year, he doesn't get much recognition at all, and I don't get it. He isn't really a ball hawk, but he's one of the best pure cover free safeties in the league. Another example of a corner switching to play FS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I've heard he is their #1 priority. Doubtful he walks.