Page 223 of 333 FirstFirst ... 221222223224225 ... LastLast
Results 2,665 to 2,676 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Pretty much, I'm not entirely sure where teams value him right now though. I can see him falling to us, and maybe into the second round (if we choose to trade back) because of the devaluation of the position.

You pretty much described David Amerson out of NC State. Look him up, he's a 6'3 corner, who is projected as a cover 1 FS at the next level. He has some good ball skills too.

They will almost certainly bring in a legit NT to compete with Cody next year, whether that be through FA or in the draft. If we miss out on a Terrence Knighton in FA, I would really like Brandon Williams in the 3rd round from Southern Missouri (DII school), he would be a typical Ravens pick, and he's explosive as hell.

I disagree man. I think we have some legit questions in our front 7, and thats our biggest needs, name anything on the front 7, we need it pretty much, we need to add speed and youth. The secondary is mostly in a good place depending on Reed.

The offense is in a good place, we just need to re-sign McKinnie for a year or two (looks like he wants to come back and play with KO who is a good friend of his), and could do with a TE to compete or push Dickson out to work with Pitta. We are pretty much set on offense, however, I'd like another young wide out taken at some point in the draft, and maybe a developmental OT.
    No, what I mean by that is that we don't have a good grip on what the front office would be looking for on that side of the ball, compared to the defensive side of the ball. That is what I meant by question marks. I'm talking about us as posters trying to figure this stuff out.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    We need a LT. We will have to see if McKinnie is the BPA. IMO the OL issues were not so much solved because we got a healthy and motivated McKinnie back in there. To me the single biggest positional upgrade was at LG where we went from turnstyle to roadgrader. I can not even imagine Benn Grubbs doing as well vs Wilfork and Justin Smith in those last 2 games. While McKinnie is clearly better at LT than Oher is, to me the difference overall if you include all the regular season games is minimal. Losing a very solid guy at LG and moving 3 players around took the OL down to an average or below level.

As long as we can find a decent LT and keep the rest of the OL intact I doubt there will be much drop off. Also I have a feeling that may have been a one time thing with Big Mac. I am all for keeping him around, but not at much money.
    The good thing is the market with have a lot of LT's available, either via draft or FA (guys like KC's Albert). Thus, the price of LT should be a little lower than normal because a decent supply will be available. If we want to retain BMAC this should help us.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Big fan of Swearinger.

Cyprien is interesting.

Not really feeling Rambo. Love the movie. Not in love with the Georgia Bulldog. He's slow. I don't think he is a free safety.
    I agree on all counts. Swearinger is very underrated; Rambo is very overrated. Cyprien I'm not too sure on. I watched tape of him vs. Western Kentucky and he didn't really impress me a whole lot, but he does have good instincts. I think he would need a lot of development at the NFL level though.

Another guy to look out for in the 2nd round conversation is Philip Thomas. His game is comparable in a lot of ways to Troy Polamalu in that he can really make plays everywhere on the field. He's pretty good in coverage and has great ball skills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree on all counts. Swearinger is very underrated; Rambo is very overrated. Cyprien I'm not too sure on. I watched tape of him vs. Western Kentucky and he didn't really impress me a whole lot, but he does have good instincts. I think he would need a lot of development at the NFL level though.

Another guy to look out for in the 2nd round conversation is Philip Thomas. His game is comparable in a lot of ways to Troy Polamalu in that he can really make plays everywhere on the field. He's pretty good in coverage and has great ball skills.
    I like Thomas too. I'm halfway expecting him to be gone by the time we pick in round 2.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't see us going to a 4-3 tbh, I think it would be a bad move. Sure, it would like nice on paper, but you have so much more flexability with a 3-4 scheme. Against NE for example, we barely ever line up in a true 3-4, we stick two DTs (Ngata, and Arthur Jones) in the middle, and play Suggs and Kruger (now Upshaw) on the edges either standing up or putting their hands in the dirt, then we just use two LBs and a nickel back. That is pretty much a 4-3, so its not like we are strictly a base 3-4 defense like the Steelers or the Texans.

A few teams are also moving to a 3-4 now all of a sudden. I just think when you look at most of the top defenses over the last 10 years, a significant amount of them have been 3-4 based teams. We should stick to it and just replenish the front 7 with more youth thats all.

We've been running the same defensive scheme for a decade now, I don't expect us to change it, and I especially don't expect Dean Pees (who has pretty much coached 3-4 defenses all his life) to change it.
    I agree with you on the flexibility of the 3-4. What is funny is that the early adopters of the 3-4(pitt, Bal, NWE) all did so in part because it was hard to find true 4-3 DEs. Being an early adopter they had an easier time finding Tweener pass rushers for the 3-4. Guys like Harrison and Woodley that were not big enough to be DE but very effective in the 3-4. Now I am guessing that 60%+ teams are running the 3-4. It is going to make finding the 3-4 Olbs more difficult. Your are even starting to see more colleges run the 3-4. A few years ago it was really only Alabama and ND.

Blog Entries

The latest walter football mock has us taking john jenkins at 32.

Big fan of Swearinger.

Cyprien is interesting.

Not really feeling Rambo. Love the movie. Not in love with the Georgia Bulldog. He's slow. I don't think he is a free safety.
    This is about where I am. I think Swearinger could be a good fit because he is not only a thumper, but he's also a versatile guy. South Carolina used him as a corner at times so one would expect that he has cover skills and could handle the big fast TEs. I think the Ravens need to look at those flexible kind of guys on defense in this draft.

I like Phillip Thomas too. And Cyprien looked good at Senior Bowl practices but I don't know much else about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    The latest walter football mock has us taking john jenkins at 32.
    I wouldn't be crazy with that pick at all. I think there's better positional value available... a 2-down NT who doesn't get pass rush isn't worth a 1st rounder IMO. I also don't think he would be the BPA in that scenario. Walter has us passing up Matt Elam, Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz, DeAndre Hopkins, and Barrett Jones... all of whom I think I would take over Jenkins both as BPA and as higher positional value. I think I'd be happier with Brandon Williams in the 2nd than John Jenkins in the 1st.

Cool Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I wouldn't be crazy with that pick at all. I think there's better positional value available... a 2-down NT who doesn't get pass rush isn't worth a 1st rounder IMO. I also don't think he would be the BPA in that scenario. Walter has us passing up Matt Elam, Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz, DeAndre Hopkins, and Barrett Jones... all of whom I think I would take over Jenkins both as BPA and as higher positional value. I think I'd be happier with Brandon Williams in the 2nd than John Jenkins in the 1st.
    I'd rather have Williams too rather than Jenkins in the first. However, if either Elam, or Jones of UCLA are there too, I'd have a hard time choosing between the 3 of them.

Blog Entries

I don't see us passing up on Elam.

Blog Entries

I completely disagree.

The only real aspect we're missing to run a 4-3 base D (assuming Ellerbe is retained) is a weak side LB. However, this draft is chock full of solid weak side prospects.
    Give me one reason why we should just switch from something that has worked for over a decade? We've had a down year because of mass injuries, there's no need to completely change a defensive philosophy. Usually teams announce changes like that early (as Cleveland and Philly have), while Pees, and Harbaugh haven't even mentioned the possibility. There's really no point in going to a 4-3 either, when we play nickel 50 % of the time anyway.

Blog Entries

I would rather get Jesse Williams over Jenkins. Jenkins isn't a great run defender, where was Jesse Williams is a monster in the run game, and can collapse the pocket. I think I'd consider Jesse Williams in the second round, not the first though. I would like Brandon Williams in the 3rd, I think taking him in the 2nd is too much of a risk.