Page 220 of 333 FirstFirst ... 218219220221222 ... LastLast
Results 2,629 to 2,640 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think its funny that people are always going on about not surrounding Flacco with talent, but the way I see it, we're not surrounding Ngata or Suggs with anything other than undrafted LBs and Defensive linemen either. If we had a Vince Wilfolk type player at NT, I'm pretty sure Ngata would benefit a lot more from that.

We swung and missed in 2010, and I think McPhee is very good when he's healthy. Hopefully, we'll see that in 2013. Jones may be coming into his own as well. Things could fall into place this fall once you throw a likely high draft pick in there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm all for adding a good DT, but I'm not all for a guy who can only stop the run and not contribute anywhere else. This isn't 1990...3 yards in a cloud of dust.

And Wilfork is an elite talent...he doesn't have anybody his DL...he is surrounded by no names as well and he still is a monster.
    Whoever said anything about one dimensional DTs? I don't care what decade it is, in any 4-3 scheme you need at least a solid NT, and we haven't had one since Kelly Gregg in his prime. Ngata can't do everything him self.

I think its funny that people are always going on about not surrounding Flacco with talent, but the way I see it, we're not surrounding Ngata or Suggs with anything other than undrafted LBs and Defensive linemen either. If we had a Vince Wilfolk type player at NT, I'm pretty sure Ngata would benefit a lot more from that.
    This isn't true, though. The Ravens have spent top 100 picks on LBs and DL like crazy over the last few years.... Tavares Gooden, Paul Kruger, Sergio Kindle, Terrence Cody, Courtney Upshaw... that's 5 picks in the top 100 on defensive linemen and linebackers in the past 5 years. The problem is that of those 5, 3 of them are definitely busts, 1 of them only had 1 1/2 good years of production (Kruger), and the jury is still out on the last one although he looks like a keeper (Upshaw).

It's not the Ravens' fault that the guys they drafted high in those positions haven't panned out. They tried, it just didn't work out, and in contrast most of the offensive players we've drafted in that time HAVE worked out. You're smart enough to know that the draft works that way sometimes.

The Ravens are going to do what they always do in the draft. They're going to be smart and balanced, they're going to take talented guys that represent a good value, and they're going to hope that they work out.

Whoever said anything about one dimensional DTs? I don't care what decade it is, in any 4-3 scheme you need at least a solid NT, and we haven't had one since Kelly Gregg in his prime. Ngata can't do everything him self.
    Just made an observation based on my opinion.

And a pure NT is not really needed in a 4-3.

At any rate, Ozzie has said the middle of the defense is the priority so I expect him to make some attempt to bring in more talent at DT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Being that no one believes Ed Reed is getting 7 million a year, what is his likely number? 4 or 5 million?
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Ter-rance Knigh-ton bum bum bumbumbum... repeat after me...
    Ter-rance Knigh-ton bum bum bumbumbum...

OR Jesse or Brandon Williams.

SAlos, I don't see the benefit of the 4-3 over the 3-4. Unless you can and will get to the QB without blitzing, I literally see NO BENEFIT of the 4-3 over the 3-4, where to the contrary, if you even blitz on 10% of pass plays I see a HUGE benefit of the 3-4. Against the run, ther eis no question that the 3-4 is the far stouter formation.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    Being that no one believes Ed Reed is getting 7 million a year, what is his likely number? 4 or 5 million?
    if that, which is why I think he will retire. I doubt he plays for $3m.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    if that, which is why I think he will retire. I doubt he plays for $3m.
    Interesting, doubt he retires though. He's been pretty adamant about that.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Interesting, doubt he retires though. He's been pretty adamant about that.
    He's also been adamnat that he's wanted a raise 3 years in a row now... and ended up un-retiring and playing as agreed all 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    He's also been adamnat that he's wanted a raise 3 years in a row now... and ended up un-retiring and playing as agreed all 3 years.
    Lol, true. It was at a much higher salary though.

Blog Entries

As of today, here is what I would like to see (not that I want anyone to go...but it is what it is):

-Flacco long term deal around $18-19M over x years.

-Cut Birk

-Cut Leach

-Restructure/extend Boldin

-Sign McKinnie (incentive based deal)

-Sign Ellerbe

-Let Reed walk and see what happens (even though it seems guys like Brady and Ben and Peyton still fear him, even though his abilities have dropped off - his name strikes fear still, even if the on-field results don't match - plus it would be great for him to retire a Raven - honestly I kind of hope he just retires, but money talks)

-Kruger walks

-Jacoby...I can't decide...I hate to cut him after what he did for us...but I honestly still do not trust his hands. I know I know - he made two huge catches...I love his attitude and he is a good return threat (when he doesn't muff)...but I still do not trust him overall. good guy though.

-Tender Pitta...don't really care what happens with Dickson.

Draft: LB, DT, S, WR.

LB - obvious need with Ray gone and McClain doubtful, Ellerbe FA.

NT - underachieving draft pick and old guy Kemo (FA) not cutting it

S - Reed will be gone at some point, though we do have Thompson

WR - we still do not really know what we have with the younger guys - Doss had a bad year, Streeter is raw and was on IR, Reed...always injured, Thompson looked decent on returns. Not enough samples. I'm not ready to give up on Doss. LaQuan looked decent last season but got hardly no action this year, which may say something about what the teams thinks of him. Outside of Boldin and Torrey (and possibly Jacoby)...we have really no clue what we have at WR. Joe needs another WR weapon IMO.

Lol, true. It was at a much higher salary though.
    precisely my point.... once that salary isn't possible, the risk/reward isn't there for him to continue playing, IMO.