Page 218 of 333 FirstFirst ... 216217218219220 ... LastLast
Results 2,605 to 2,616 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'd much rather see us go for Tank Carradine, Brandon Jenkins, John Simon, or Travis Long if we're looking at mid round pass rushers.
    I think all 4 of those guys would be GREAT mid-round picks. Carradine and Jenkins look like Ravens style picks to me... 1st round talents who are going to fall because of injury concerns. They'll be risky, but if they can recover to 100% you're getting a MAJOR steal.

People are way underrating our need at DE/OLB. Upshaw is going to be around for a long time but he may never be a 3 down player. Suggs only has 2 or 3 years left in him as a productive player and probably will never be a Pro Bowl level pass rusher again. And our only depth behind those guys once Kruger leaves will be practice squad caliber players.

I'm not saying spend a 1st rounder on the position unless a top 10 talent plummets, but spending a 3rd or 4th on one of the guys you mentioned to rush the passer in the nickel and eventually take over for Suggs is a VERY good idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think all 4 of those guys would be GREAT mid-round picks. Carradine and Jenkins look like Ravens style picks to me... 1st round talents who are going to fall because of injury concerns. They'll be risky, but if they can recover to 100% you're getting a MAJOR steal.

People are way underrating our need at DE/OLB. Upshaw is going to be around for a long time but he may never be a 3 down player. Suggs only has 2 or 3 years left in him as a productive player and probably will never be a Pro Bowl level pass rusher again. And our only depth behind those guys once Kruger leaves will be practice squad caliber players.

I'm not saying spend a 1st rounder on the position unless a top 10 talent plummets, but spending a 3rd or 4th on one of the guys you mentioned to rush the passer in the nickel and eventually take over for Suggs is a VERY good idea.
    IMO, if someone like Dion Jordan or Sam Montgomery drop, which is possible, I think they'd really consider those picks. They may consider Alex Okafor also, but I don't think he'd be a good fit as a 3-4 guy. Then again, a lot of people wondered how Aldon Smith would transition to the 3-4 and I'd say he has worked out pretty well for the Niners.

There are some really nice mid round prospects who could be decent pass rushers for us.

I really like the two Florida State guys. The injury concerns are definitely a concern, but both of those guys were solid 1st round prospects before getting injured.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I saw this mock online and have to share. I think it is quite accurate.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/2/12/...cal-mock-draft

2013 Mock Draft:

1. Chiefs - A defensive lineman you are skeptical of

2. Jaguars - A player you weren't familiar with

3. Raiders - The fastest player at the combine

4. Eagles - A big name with a questionable attitude

5. Lions - A wide receiver

6. Browns - A bad QB

7. Cardinals - Surprisingly, a pick you really like

8. Bills - An "overdraft"

9. Jets - "BOOO!"

10. Titans - A phenomenal athlete

11. Chargers - A defensive player that you're surprised was still available

12. Dolphins - A reach

13. Buccaneers - A player that is "just perfect for that defense"

14. Panthers - Something compared to Julius Peppers

15. Saints - "I think this guy is going to help turnaround that defense" but then doesn't.

16. Rams - "Finally someone to help stabilize that offensive line" but then doesn't.

17. Steelers - A "hard-nosed, tough as nails" defensive player

18. Cowboys - A "steal at 18"

19. Giants - "BOOOO!"

20. Bears - A replacement for someone old

21. Bengals - I don't know but you need to post his bail first

22. Rams - "Finally someone to catch a pass" but then doesn't

23. Vikings - An elite talent or Christian Ponder

24. Colts - Unless it's the #1 overall pick, you are not familiar with this player

25. Seahawks - A guy that you either thought would go "late 2nd, early 3rd" or literally did not know existed

26. Packers - Someone "tough in the trenches"

27. Texans - Defense

28. Broncos - Literally anything from Von Miller to Tim Tebow

29. Patriots - A defensive back that disappoints

30. Falcons - A pick you genuinely like

31. 49ers - Someone that will be inactive for all of 2013

32. Ravens - A guy that actually is a steal and you have no idea why the Ravens are getting another stud defensive player
    This is really funny.

IMO, if someone like Dion Jordan or Sam Montgomery drop, which is possible, I think they'd really consider those picks. They may consider Alex Okafor also, but I don't think he'd be a good fit as a 3-4 guy. Then again, a lot of people wondered how Aldon Smith would transition to the 3-4 and I'd say he has worked out pretty well for the Niners.

There are some really nice mid round prospects who could be decent pass rushers for us.

I really like the two Florida State guys. The injury concerns are definitely a concern, but both of those guys were solid 1st round prospects before getting injured.
    There is a lot of smoke going around that Sam Montgomery is not well thought of by NFL scouts. Apparently his strength and conditioning coach sent notes to scouts saying that he is very lazy and doesn't train or practice hard. I hadn't really watched tape of him because I didn't think the Ravens had any shot at either of the LSU DEs but I was pretty shocked by how bad he looked. He is literally the last DL off the snap on almost every play, VERY slow get off. I think he will fall to the 2nd and be taken by a team that sees him primarily as a run-stopping left end or wants him to bulk up to play 3-4 5-tech DE.

Dion Jordan is a really nice prospect though. Lightning quick first step and plays in space very well for such a tall and long-limbed player. I doubt he drops much though with so many teams looking for a 3-4 rush linebacker.

Blog Entries

There is a lot of smoke going around that Sam Montgomery is not well thought of by NFL scouts. Apparently his strength and conditioning coach sent notes to scouts saying that he is very lazy and doesn't train or practice hard. I hadn't really watched tape of him because I didn't think the Ravens had any shot at either of the LSU DEs but I was pretty shocked by how bad he looked. He is literally the last DL off the snap on almost every play, VERY slow get off. I think he will fall to the 2nd and be taken by a team that sees him primarily as a run-stopping left end or wants him to bulk up to play 3-4 5-tech DE.

Dion Jordan is a really nice prospect though. Lightning quick first step and plays in space very well for such a tall and long-limbed player. I doubt he drops much though with so many teams looking for a 3-4 rush linebacker.
    Montgomery should be a 3-4 DE. He's never been a big time pass rusher. He doesn't have an explosive first step. What he does have though is good closing speed, long arms and great instincts. He also has room to put on weight. I see him as a very good 3-4 run stuffing DE prospect or 4-3 run and hit OLB who plays on 1 & 2nd downs. Mingo is the explosive pass rusher of the 2.

I see Montgomery being a very good pick for a team like the Patriots or the Packers. He's very solid and there isn't a lot of mystery to his game. I read the lazy comments on Walter Football but that's the first time I ever heard that. I'd love to know where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Montgomery should be a 3-4 DE. He's never been a big time pass rusher. He doesn't have an explosive first step. What he does have though is good closing speed, long arms and great instincts. He also has room to put on weight. I see him as a very good 3-4 run stuffing DE prospect or 4-3 run and hit OLB who plays on 1 & 2nd downs. Mingo is the explosive pass rusher of the 2.

I see Montgomery being a very good pick for a team like the Patriots or the Packers. He's very solid and there isn't a lot of mystery to his game. I read the lazy comments on Walter Football but that's the first time I ever heard that. I'd love to know where it came from.
    I actually saw somewhere a picture that was purportedly of the note that the LSU coach sent around to scouts. It said something to the effect of "these players do not give adequate effort in the weight room and in training and I will not comment on them otherwise to any scouts that inquire." It had a long list of names and Montgomery was on it. There may also be other rumors swirling around out there, all of them nebulous and possibly untrue.

There is so much stuff that goes around draft time that you can't buy all of it. You just KNOW that the agents for guys like Alex Okafor and Dion Jordan could very well be out there passing around these "rumors" to tear down a guy who is seen as a competitor for a draft spot. You also wonder if there are guys in the media who are on the take. How else do you explain guys like Russ Lande saying that Ryan Nassib is the #1 prospect in this class and that Jarvis Jones is a 3rd round talent? Crazy stuff.

Blog Entries

I actually saw somewhere a picture that was purportedly of the note that the LSU coach sent around to scouts. It said something to the effect of "these players do not give adequate effort in the weight room and in training and I will not comment on them otherwise to any scouts that inquire." It had a long list of names and Montgomery was on it. There may also be other rumors swirling around out there, all of them nebulous and possibly untrue.

There is so much stuff that goes around draft time that you can't buy all of it. You just KNOW that the agents for guys like Alex Okafor and Dion Jordan could very well be out there passing around these "rumors" to tear down a guy who is seen as a competitor for a draft spot. You also wonder if there are guys in the media who are on the take. How else do you explain guys like Russ Lande saying that Ryan Nassib is the #1 prospect in this class and that Jarvis Jones is a 3rd round talent? Crazy stuff.
    Good post.

Re: Jarvis Jones...

He has had similar things said about him regarding putting in effort during the practice week.

I don't think that will drop him too far though. What will probably drop him is the concern of his back injury.

Blog Entries

I completely agree. That's why the interviews at the Combine and Senior Bowl, etc... are so important. Teams need to talk to these kids and really get into their heads. That's just as important as anything they physically do at the Combine.

Blog Entries

Good post.

Re: Jarvis Jones...

He has had similar things said about him regarding putting in effort during the practice week.

I don't think that will drop him too far though. What will probably drop him is the concern of his back injury.
    Uh-ho. Are you telling me my first round pick might not play!?

Draft Rumblings from National Football Post

Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee, Junior (6040 E, 200 E and 4.45 E): Not all NFL people that I spoke with can offer this insight, but those who have been sitting in on draft meetings for over a decade made an interesting point to me this week. The discussions surrounding where Justin Hunter should be slotted on the draft board sounds eerily similar to those that took place when Lee Evans came out. Similar to Evans, Hunter looked like a potential top ten pick in 2011 before tearing the ACL in his knee and reminded some of Randy Moss with his big play ability and knack for making tough catches. However, in 2012 Hunter did not show the same explosiveness and elite speed that he did before the injury and dropped way too many passes. The question teams are trying to answer is whether Hunter will eventually return to his pre-injury form as Evans did, or will he be the player he was in 2012 throughout his NFL career. We have been told not to be shocked if some team, perhaps Baltimore as they did with Jamal Lewis, takes a gamble and uses their first round pick on Hunter.
    Not entirely sure how accurate it its, but I can't see the FO gambling on a guy with questionable hands and injury concerns in the 1st (if they even stay there).

Blog Entries

Man Bmore, you're always so negative about Suggs and Ngata lol

The only two guys that are really exciting me for 1st round picks (obviously depending on who drops) are Jesse Williams and Kevin Minter. Other than that I'm not overly crazy about anyone