Page 215 of 333 FirstFirst ... 213214215216217 ... LastLast
Results 2,569 to 2,580 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    A couple of us on here have been promoting the idea of taking T'eo if he drops.
    I'm hoping (this week, anyway) that the guy who falls into the Ravens' lap is John Jenkins.

Things change with the combine, free agency, Flacco's contract, etc., but this is my current list of what a realistic and decent draft would be for the Ravens. They might have to move around a bit and hope a player or two slides a few spots, but I think this would be a solid eight picks through round 6:

John Jenkins (DT, Georgia)
    David Bakhtiari (OT, Colorado)
    Kiko Alonso (LB, Oregon)
    DJ Swearinger (S, South Carolina)
    Chris Harper (WR, Kansas State)
    David Bass (DE, Missouri Western)
    Michael Williams (TE, Alabama)
    Micah Hyde (CB, Iowa)

I'll change my mind by next week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I thought about it long and hard and came to this conclusion.

Is he as good as I thought he was before the BCS game? No chance, I thought he was a top 5 prospect, but a lot of his production was against mediocre college teams. He lacks ideal speed that you want from an ILB in the NFL these days, and now has some character issues. I really dislike Notre Dame as a college football team, so when I heard about this GF hoax, I jumped on it as a reason NOT to draft Teo even if he fell to 32.

But put your self in his shoes, I think one of the contributing reasons to his poor display in the BCS game was due to his recent findings of his virtual GF. Before that game, he missed like what? Two tackles all year, thats still pretty amazing. I would pick this guy at 32, he would fill a gigantic immediate need for us at ILB, he can make all the defensive calls, and he is a run thumper. One thing people miss when saying all we need is coverage LBs, is that our run defense hasn't been as stout through the last two years, Teo could come in and help with that. Plus the fact that he's actually not bad in coverage, and probably better than Ellerbe, he did have a ton of interceptions afterall.
    Now that I'm reading (from the post about Aaron Wilson's chat) that Ellerbe might be too expensive to re-sign (thanks to all those 3-13 teams out there who are $45 million under the cap and will throw stupid money at anyone who's ever been on a good team), I think Te'o makes more sense if Minter is gone because if we need two ILB's, then strictly worrying about "coverage" isn't as important. Without Ellerbe (if that happens), a run stuffing player with enough athleticism to be decent in NFL coverage (which is where I rate Teo) would become a need, and with all the DL depth in the draft, you could arguably more afford to wait on whatever DL help is gonna be there at the end of Round 2 (maybe a Jesse or Sylvester Wiliams, Kawan Short, etc.), more so than seeing what MLBs are available there (where you might get Kiko Alonzo or Kevin Reddick).

So in other words without Ellerbe, it would become a different picture, and I think it makes the Round one pick essentially have to be an ILB, AND it suddenly becomes less critical to get a "coverage" type because we'll need help vs the run and the pass both.

Of course, I do think we can/may well move in up Round 2, or even add a 2 somehow. Hell we may even bail on Round 1 again to add a 2.

In any event, Ellerbe's possible defection certainly opens up the door on Te'o assuming of course Te'o falls which, until the whole fiasco came out, would have seemed unlikely.

After the Combine and interviews, my guess is Te'o returns more or less to his original draft projection, so he'll probably go before we pick anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.
    Last edited by NC Raven; 02-12-2013 at 10:36 PM.

It's pretty wild to think that we could end up turning over half the defense for 2013 (Ray, Ed, Cary, Kruger and Ellerbe).

I'm going to review the DEN game and hope that I see a lot of positives from Josh Bynes.

I think Dicksburgh will take Te'o before we get a shot at him. Hopefully he bombs at the combine.

We need to draft Baccari Rambo though. That will make the best jersey ever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post

I'm hoping (this week, anyway) that the guy who falls into the Ravens' lap is John Jenkins.

Things change with the combine, free agency, Flacco's contract, etc., but this is my current list of what a realistic and decent draft would be for the Ravens. They might have to move around a bit and hope a player or two slides a few spots, but I think this would be a solid eight picks through round 6:

John Jenkins (DT, Georgia)
    David Bakhtiari (OT, Colorado)
    Kiko Alonso (LB, Oregon)
    DJ Swearinger (S, South Carolina)
    Chris Harper (WR, Kansas State)
    David Bass (DE, Missouri Western)
    Michael Williams (TE, Alabama)
    Micah Hyde (CB, Iowa)

I'll change my mind by next week.
    Im not at all interested in Jon Jenkins as their first rounder. He is a good player, but he isnt a very dynamic player. Realistically, he is a 2 down NT who already has trouble with weight and has questions surrounding his effort on every play (because of low stamina).

Im all for getting another DT or two, but not in round 1 unless we're talking about Kawan Short or Sharif Floyd.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    It's pretty wild to think that we could end up turning over half the defense for 2013 (Ray, Ed, Cary, Kruger and Ellerbe).

I'm going to review the DEN game and hope that I see a lot of positives from Josh Bynes.
    Bynes isnt a bad player. I was actually surprised he wasnt drafted out of Auburn.

Im not at all interested in Jon Jenkins as their first rounder. He is a good player, but he isnt a very dynamic player. Realistically, he is a 2 down NT who already has trouble with weight and has questions surrounding his effort on every play (because of low stamina).

Im all for getting another DT or two, but not in round 1 unless we're talking about Kawan Short or Sharif Floyd.

I agree...not a fan at all of taking a one dimensional run stopping DL in the first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I think Dicksburgh will take Te'o before we get a shot at him. Hopefully he bombs at the combine.

We need to draft Baccari Rambo though. That will make the best jersey ever.
    Im actually not real sure about Rambo.

He looked really slow and lost during the Senior Bowl.

Im not at all interested in Jon Jenkins as their first rounder. He is a good player, but he isnt a very dynamic player.
    I would prefer a guy like Dion Jordan but I don't think he'll be there in reality. I doubt Sharif Floyd is around at 32, and Kawan Short might be gone as well.

Im actually not real sure about Rambo.

He looked really slow and lost during the Senior Bowl.

The problem for me with Rambo is he's more of a Pollard-like player. Replacing Reed in this draft is hard. I've only seen 3 guys that have really hit me as solid replacements. Vaccaro who will be gone, Reid who is probably a top of the 2nd, but not worth a 1st (he has some question marks) and Tony Jefferson (haven't seen a lot of tape, but I like what I've seen)

Blog Entries

Yeah Jon Jenkins... was a big fan of his before the Senior bowl, I actually prefer Jesse Williams if NT is where we start off with. Jesse Williams isn't the best pass rusher in the world, but people forget that he eats up blockers and allows his edge rushers to make plays, and he's also a force in the run game. IMO, he'd be a huge upgrade over Cody.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 02-13-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Blog Entries

alien bird, I keep forgetting about DJ Swearinger, thanks for bringing him up, he's actually someone who may have the potential to start from day 1, I don't know why he doesn't get much press around here. I also really think highly of Kiko Alonso, he's very very athletic.

I like Arthur Brown too, but would rather take him in the second round, because I'm not totally sure on how he'd fit in our 3-4 D. He's probably going in the first or very early second round.