Page 19 of 333 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I like Dashon Goldson quite a bit, but I'm concerned that he's going to be overvalued. He's a good player, but word is he's looking to be the highest paid safety in the game, and he's not worth THAT much nor do the Ravens have the capability to do a deal of that type.

I seem to be the only one carrying water for the guy but I really think they should just offer Kenny Phillips a 2 year, 8m type of "prove it" deal without big money up front. I think he has the upside to be the best safety in the league, but his injury history will drive his price down. The Giants already have Antrel Rolle locked up to an expensive long-term deal and Stevie Brown has been outstanding filling in for Phillips, so they'll likely just stick with that duo next year.

Best case scenario, Phillips signs that deal and plays an injury free 2013 at the level he was before he got hurt, which is presently a much higher level than Ed Reed. Then the team rips up the last year of the deal and extends him long-term. Worst case scenario, he gets hurt early and doesn't play a lot, but the team is going to need to draft a safety at some point just for depth so they'll be able to evaluate whoever steps in and then make another decision on Phillips before 2014.

I think Phillips is the best option on the market. Goldson, Jairus Byrd, and William Moore are the other top guys and they'll all want huge money, I don't see their teams letting them go. Louis Delmas is another option but his injury concerns are even worse than Kenny Phillips. If they don't get Phillips or somebody else in FA they'll have to choose between re-signing Ed Reed if he doesn't retire and turning to a draft pick. I honestly have 0% confidence our 2013 starting free safety is currently on the roster.
    I think that's a good idea, he probably woudlnt even be on the market if it wasnt for the injuries and Brown's improvement. The question would be how cheap could you get a viable insurance policy if he gets hurt again.

This imo is a very strong FS class with a lot of guys i think could play right away...Reid, Elam, Vaccaro, Jefferson, Rambo, and a sleeper i like in Duke Williams of Nevada.

I LOVE NCST's Brandan Bishop for depth at S.
    Flies around and hits stuff. Good instincts.
    He'll be an ST stand-out in no time.
    Will probably have a pedestrian Combine, which is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Any links on Louisville offense? I can't find any.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4PtHktLHUM

If we changed to 43 would it not be worth looking at a guy like Alex okafor, or Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, ansah, etc to play de. Have a front of Suggs ngata jones/McPhee and draft pick.

Sam upshaw who IMO would be a better one than McClellan. Ellerbe MLB, and then an Arthur brown, hodges etc at will

Blog Entries

I was gonna bring up Burflict but figure'd I would leave it alone. Looking at our depth at LB, who did we take in the 7th round BTW? Or the 6th???? Hmmm we could have him out there instead of the 2 scrubs we're having to go with now.

Blog Entries

I think the Ravens should bring in Aaron Curry. He is just a few years removed from being a Top 5 pick. Let's see if the Ravens locker room can get him straightened out. The Ravens need a lot of help at ILB, and Curry has the physical skills to still be a good player. Terrance Knighton would be another good addition at DT. He could be what Cody hasn't been.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    If we changed to 43 would it not be worth looking at a guy like Alex okafor, or Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, ansah, etc to play de. Have a front of Suggs ngata jones/McPhee and draft pick.

Sam upshaw who IMO would be a better one than McClellan. Ellerbe MLB, and then an Arthur brown, hodges etc at will
    Agree'd I'd rather have McClellan as a sub ILB. We really need to draft someone high for the starting role, a game changer lock that position down type. Noone will replace Ray, but an legit starter. Ellrbe shows flashes, but given his history of disappreaing at time I don't have the faith and would rather not rely on him to be THE guy. Put someone better next to him and yes I'll take that. Everyone was cheering McClain last year those 4 games Ray missed, but he disappears also, and is horrible in coverage. That was a waste of a contract IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I think the Ravens should bring in Aaron Curry. He is just a few years removed from being a Top 5 pick. Let's see if the Ravens locker room can get him straightened out. The Ravens need a lot of help at ILB, and Curry has the physical skills to still be a good player.
    He's actually someone I was looking at. And at a devalued position(stupidly given the amount of TE's going across the middle in todays offensive schemes) may come at a decent price. Would allow us to move up and focus on getting a 3-4 end starter in the draft also even if it means giving up our 2nd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    He's actually someone I was looking at. And at a devalued position(stupidly given the amount of TE's going across the middle in todays offensive schemes) may come at a decent price. Would allow us to move up and focus on getting a 3-4 end starter in the draft also even if it means giving up our 2nd.
    That's only if he can play. 2 teams so far say he can't. It's not that uncommon for 1st round picks to end up as busts. Gholston and Maybin are also out there and were high 1st round picks so why not consider them?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's only if he can play. 2 teams so far say he can't. It's not that uncommon for 1st round picks to end up as busts. Gholston and Maybin are also out there and were high 1st round picks so why not consider them?
    True, but then I see a guy like Marshawn Lynch. The Bills thought that he was a bust, he goes to Seattle, and becomes a beast. Bringing in Curry would be a low risk, and potentially high reward proposition. Plus, Curry plays a position of significant need for the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Admitting I haven't seen all of them play a whole ton of games, BUT the Saints are on alot so saw Curry play. He has the physical tools and was pretty good. Gholston, while watching his team play didn't get called his name alot. Dunno just saying, maybe it's just me but watching the games you heard Curry's name making tackles alot more than those other 2. Shrugshoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post

Imo i wouldnt want to see Upshaw lumbering around the field at the sam in a 4-3. I think if we did switch to the 4-3 we'd have to find two starting OLB's.