Page 183 of 266 FirstFirst ... 133173179180181182183184185186187193233 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 3987
  1. #2731
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread



    If we cut Leach...has anyone considered James Casey from Houston?

    He is a weird TE/FB hybrid. We've shown we kind of like to use the FB as a pass catcher with Leach's usage. Casey could easily fill this role, maybe even better than Leach.

    Not sure what kind of $$ he would be looking for though.




  2. #2732
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,824
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    So, with Kruger and Cliff Avril likely being the top FA pass rushers out there...


    Connor Barwin may come back into the picture. He had a down year, no doubt, but he is still a good player.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #2733
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,824
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    If we cut Leach...has anyone considered James Casey from Houston?

    He is a weird TE/FB hybrid. We've shown we kind of like to use the FB as a pass catcher with Leach's usage. Casey could easily fill this role, maybe even better than Leach.

    Not sure what kind of $$ he would be looking for though.
    I have always liked James Casey. That dude was such a hell of a receiver in college.

    I don't know though.

    This is going to be a weird off-season. Some suggest that Rice was more effective when the Ravens were 3-wide without Leach in the game. However, Leach is just a quintessential Baltimore Raven. I'd be sad to see him go.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #2734

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    I've been big on going to more of an H-Back utilization if we have to let Leach go...those undersized TE's who can catch are huge in today's game.

    Casey in particular though is doubtful...he likely will be making around the same money as Leach. Those guys are typically mid round picks and if you use them right, they can be weapons for you. Maybe a guy like Willie Carter out of Tulsa in the mid/late rounds.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  5. #2735
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I have always liked James Casey. That dude was such a hell of a receiver in college.

    I don't know though.

    This is going to be a weird off-season. Some suggest that Rice was more effective when the Ravens were 3-wide without Leach in the game. However, Leach is just a quintessential Baltimore Raven. I'd be sad to see him go.
    Leach is awesome. But his price is mighty rich for a FB. I would hate to see him go too, but at this point he is mostly a luxury item IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Casey in particular though is doubtful...he likely will be making around the same money as Leach. Those guys are typically mid round picks and if you use them right, they can be weapons for you. Maybe a guy like Willie Carter out of Tulsa in the mid/late rounds.
    Yeah I figure Casey might cost just about as much, so it isn't likely. But you never know. Clearly we like funneling HOU players to our squad.




  6. #2736

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    If we cut Leach...has anyone considered James Casey from Houston?

    He is a weird TE/FB hybrid. We've shown we kind of like to use the FB as a pass catcher with Leach's usage. Casey could easily fill this role, maybe even better than Leach.

    Not sure what kind of $$ he would be looking for though.
    He'd have to be cheap , and I don't think he will be. I also am starting to think that Leach might see the writing on the wall that he is a dying breed, and may take a relatively cheap extenstion to keep his career going with a winner. Perhaps he takes a straight paycut if it comes with an additional couple of years. Perhaps wiping out the last year of his deal and replacing it with a 3 yr $7m deal.


    and Leach... I'd rather have Ellerbe. Ellerbe ca be a 3 down ILBer here, Kruger SHOULD see even less time next year then this year as Upshaw improves. I see more promise to succeed in Kruger's role from hamilton and Macadoo then I see potential in Bynes,Mclellan to replace Ellerbe as our coverage inside backer. In fact, wit Mclin coming off what he is, I could see one of those two replcing McLain for better results.

    And Ellerbe should be half the cheese that Kruger gets, perhaps 60%.




  7. #2737

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Injury history only bothers me if it's something with a chance to recur because of the prior injury. If it's just a bunch of disconnected things, like sprains, stingers, etc., those could happen to anybody any time, even guys who have never been hurt before. Off the top of my head I can't think of any future concerns about a recurrence of anything with him, but then again, I can't really recall what his past injuries were. Is there anything he's had that might be something to worry about down the line?
    broken thumbs, ankle sprains, elbow i believe, but the one with cause for concern and made him miss the most time last year was hamstrings which can certainly be problematic. i tend do agree its worth the gamble (because he didnt have a flair up this year and played through other injuries) but it is a legitimate debate.

    Sidenote: i just read an article about the steelers cap issues and i must say, as much concern as we have around here, im glad we dont have their philosophy. 100 million invested in their top 10 cap hits vs us at roughly 69 (even if you assume Flacco were still much better off). Definitely not the way to go about it when talking restructures.
    -JAB




  8. #2738
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Sidenote: i just read an article about the steelers cap issues and i must say, as much concern as we have around here, im glad we dont have their philosophy. 100 million invested in their top 10 cap hits vs us at roughly 69 (even if you assume Flacco were still much better off). Definitely not the way to go about it when talking restructures.
    a lot of teams are in cap trouble. going to be a really interesting offseason.




  9. #2739
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,124
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Ellerbe also had a back injury. He said he was in really bad pain during the AFC Championship. I remember seeing him icing his back on the sideline.




  10. #2740

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    a lot of teams are in cap trouble. going to be a really interesting offseason.
    yeah the steelers werent even the worst offenders, the Jets have 110 invested and i believe they said the Cowboys have 90 or so. If it wasnt a league wide issue id be a lot more worried but theres a lot less teams with an abundance than up against it seems.
    -JAB




  11. #2741

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    John Clayton on ESPN this morning said that he expects Joe Flacco to be signed before free agency and that he thinks Kruger will be a Raven next year.

    Not sure how or why he thinks that, but it is interesting to hear other's takes.

    Personally, I'd rather Ellerbe over Kruger because I think we could get away with Upshaw, Suggs, McClellan, Hamilton, and (hopefully) a draft pick.

    I'm not so sure that we have enough solid depth at ILB to really produce a good unit. Though, I guess if our DL is outstanding then we can line almost anyone up at ILB and they'll be ok. The Giants won a SB with Chase Blackburn as their MLB.
    Agree with this. I give Ellerbe higher priority over Kruger. Regardless of what happens with Ellerbe Ozzie has already said the draft will focus on the middle of the defense (DTs, LBs, Safeties)




  12. #2742

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I've been big on going to more of an H-Back utilization if we have to let Leach go...those undersized TE's who can catch are huge in today's game.

    Casey in particular though is doubtful...he likely will be making around the same money as Leach. Those guys are typically mid round picks and if you use them right, they can be weapons for you. Maybe a guy like Willie Carter out of Tulsa in the mid/late rounds.
    My current draft "theme" is getting big, versatile, athletic players that can block and catch from multiple positions. I've been advocating for a while now taking an athletic mismatch TE who can play the in-line position and allow Pitta to roam around in the slot, out wide, and in the backfield so that we can play mostly 2TE looks. But I really would not be surprised at all to see us also add a FB/HB/TE in addition to that even if we get a TE early. James Casey is kind of the prototype for that position.

    Kyle Juszczyk out of Harvard is my favorite player in that mold. VERY athletic and physical, he mostly played HB/TE in Harvard's offense, but he should be able to play FB as well with his physicality and blocking. He is such a mismatch as a pass catcher though, he has super soft hands and is very elusive for being 6'1 260 or so. Leach is a great player, but it's time to get younger, cheaper, and more athletic at the position. We are not going to be an I-formation power running team next year IMO.

    I am really excited about what our offense could look like with the prospects available in this draft and a creative OC calling the shots next year. The Patriots over the past few years have shown that you can build an offense around somewhat unconventional pieces as long as you have dynamic players who have good chemistry w/the QB. They have very little in the way of dominant outside WRs but are extremely dangerous with TEs and slot receivers over the middle. Even if we have to lose Anquan and/or Jacoby if we can acquire a dominant TE like Tyler Eifert or Gavin Escobar we can just go 2TE in the passing game and still be dominant.




  13. #2743
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Speaking of miss matches at TE, I really want Travis Kelce, somehow!




  14. #2744
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,136
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Random side note, does anyone think the Jets will trade with San Fran: Revis for Alex Smith?




  15. #2745

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Random side note, does anyone think the Jets will trade with San Fran: Revis for Alex Smith?

    Awful value for NYJ, which doesn't mean they won't do it...even with Tannebaum gone.




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland