Page 171 of 333 FirstFirst ... 169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,052 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Well, I think people still need to tempt their expectations on Gino a bit too. I think he'll be good enough, and think he has potential to be great. He has a lot of upside, and appears to be a great zone blocker, the knock down on him of course is his size, he has a small frame, but so do a lot of very good centers. I wouldn't say its 100 % certain that he's the starting C next season like many on here would like to think, he is after all just a fourth round pick, nobody is talking about Christian Thompson potentially starting at FS next season, and he was drafted in the same round last year.

With all that said, it would be a great story if he pans out in the offseason. You would have a center from Delaware who transfered from a big school to become a star at a small school, just like Flacco did, and while it wouldn't look good for the big leagues of college ball, I would take that any day of the week in Baltimore.

Right now next years Oline is likely to be....

McKinnie (If re-signed)-KO-Gino-Yanda-Oher
    Actually, don't be shocked if Birk comes back for one more season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    We need the cap room, doesn't make great sense keeping a 36 year old C on the roster, when we have a ton of other cheaper options, and one who we used a 4th round pick on last year. Like I said, there are certainly no gurantees at all that Gino is starting next season, even though there are some around here who think he's automatically going to win the job, but I think there's a good 75 % chance Gino starts.
    IIRC, cutting Birk would cost more than keeping him. May not be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Incorrect, Ozzie moved all the way up from the 2nd round to select Kyle Boller. He has done it before.
    He also publicly expressed regret for that move (the move mind you, not just the pick) and has vowed never to sell the farm to move up like that again.

This debate comes up EVERY SINGLE YEAR. People insist that we need to move up because this is the most important draft ever and we just have to get a high round guy. And every single year we stay pat or move down and grab guys like Rice, KO, Upshaw, Ed Reed, Heap, Pitta etc etc etc who are all whined about until they start producing (as they do with very consistent regularity.)

We're not going to trade up. If we do it will not be more than a couple spots. Stop asking Ozzie to run the team like Al Davis and enjoy the exceptional work he does mining the back half of the rounds and undrafted free agents.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    He also publicly expressed regret for that move (the move mind you, not just the pick) and has vowed never to sell the farm to move up like that again.

This debate comes up EVERY SINGLE YEAR. People insist that we need to move up because this is the most important draft ever and we just have to get a high round guy. And every single year we stay pat or move down and grab guys like Rice, KO, Upshaw, Ed Reed, Heap, Pitta etc etc etc who are all whined about until they start producing (as they do with very consistent regularity.)

We're not going to trade up. If we do it will not be more than a couple spots. Stop asking Ozzie to run the team like Al Davis and enjoy the exceptional work he does mining the back half of the rounds and undrafted free agents.
    This is where good scouting really comes into play.

Think about it...I'm pretty sure several teams are pissed as shit for passing over KO. Same with Bernard Pierce and frankly I bet there are plenty of teams who would have rather taken Upshaw than some of their picks (San Fran...who took AJ Jenkins...who didn't play...at all...ever...).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    This is where good scouting really comes into play.

Think about it...I'm pretty sure several teams are pissed as shit for passing over KO. Same with Bernard Pierce and frankly I bet there are plenty of teams who would have rather taken Upshaw than some of their picks (San Fran...who took AJ Jenkins...who didn't play...at all...ever...).
    We literally got 3 first round type talent guys in upshaw ko and pierce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post

We literally got 3 first round type talent guys in upshaw ko and pierce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Leading up to the draft, a lot of people saw KO as a solid 1st rounder. No idea why he dropped.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

Blog Entries
    Walterfootball has us taking DeAndre Hopkins in round 1 and David Amerson in round 2.

That would be a pretty nice 1st and 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

We'll see. Trading up in the first round is not the same as "running the team like Al Davis." We've seen plenty of good players have good impact when they were traded up for. Julio Jones, for example. Jerry Rice, was also draft day trade. Tony Dorsett was worth 4 picks.

The latter two guys led their teams to Super Bowls. I'd bet a decent amount of money the Falcons win a Superbowl within 3 years.

And I'm sorry if the debate comes up "every year" but it certainly isn't every year that the Ravens have 11 picks to work with. And your argument about mining the back half of the draft only strengthens the trade up argument: They can afford to trade up to get a guy who's really good because they will always find other good players with their back end draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    We'll see. Trading up in the first round is not the same as "running the team like Al Davis." We've seen plenty of good players have good impact when they were traded up for. Julio Jones, for example. Jerry Rice, was also draft day trade. Tony Dorsett was worth 4 picks.

The latter two guys led their teams to Super Bowls. I'd bet a decent amount of money the Falcons win a Superbowl within 3 years.

And I'm sorry if the debate comes up "every year" but it certainly isn't every year that the Ravens have 11 picks to work with. And your argument about mining the back half of the draft only strengthens the trade up argument: They can afford to trade up to get a guy who's really good because they will always find other good players with their back end draft picks.
    I agree, if ever thier was a year to move up it is this one with all those picks. Bottom line it is a talent aquisition business. It doesnt matter how you get players, UFA, UDFA, draft or trades get the best players you can and build a roster. IMO, if they use 11 picks many will be wasted. I wouldnt even mind trading some of this years picks for picks in next years draft also, get better value that way if need be. Then you can use those picks to trade before the season or during the season. I like the idea of having extra picks in 2014 before the 2013 season starts in the event of an injury or void is needed to be filled with a later trade deadline the NFL has. You never know what position will be a weakness once injuries come up or players underperform and teams are always looking to add picks in trades rather than players. Maximum value and flexibilty is achieved in this way. It's like in baseball having a lot of quality trade prospects at the trade deadline makes your team stronger for the finish and ultimate goal.
    Last edited by Boulderraven; 02-06-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Walterfootball has us taking DeAndre Hopkins in round 1 and David Amerson in round 2.

That would be a pretty nice 1st and 2nd round.

Agreed. I'd be thrilled with it.

Being a Clemson grad, I'd buy a Hopkins jersey the day I found out his number

And I've though Amerson projected very well at safety since last year. Nice ball skills and range, but lacks the hips to stay on the corner.

He's a 31 year old nickel linebacker. I don't think he'd be very expensive at all. I would just be concerned with his durability.
    If the price was right and we had the cap space, I'd love to bring him in...I think he is more than just a nickel backer...he can start, we'd just have to keep him clean...we'd have our thumper in Ellerbe.

I'd prefer him over McClain...BTW, speaking of McClain, I read an article a while ago where his injury may be career threatening.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If the price was right and we had the cap space, I'd love to bring him in...I think he is more than just a nickel backer...he can start, we'd just have to keep him clean...we'd have our thumper in Ellerbe.

I'd prefer him over McClain...BTW, speaking of McClain, I read an article a while ago where his injury may be career threatening.
    If he is right player at the right price, he is worth a look and brings experience. As a team you dont want to be too young.